TTORA Forum banner

TRD Supercharger not CA smog legal...? (serious)

14K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  NorCalTRD 
#1 ·
So, I don't really know where to start on this one. Let's give it a try...

I have a 2004 3.4l Supercharged Tacoma. I have owned my truck since October of 2004. I originally had it registered in California (requiring smog because i purchased it private party from someone in Oregon) from 2004 to late 2010 , I moved to Oregon and registered my truck in that state. I have moved back to California (this whole debacle is not helping me make the move any easier) and need to register my truck back in California.

So today (March 23rd, 2017) I take my truck in to get smogged (are there two (g)s in smogged... i don't know, i suck at spelling). I am waiting for smog to finish, when the guy running the test asks me about the supercharger... He was wondering if I had the TRD supercharger installed by a dealership or if I had done it myself. I told him i purchased the truck with the supercharger already installed from a private party, but that i don't believe that a dealership installed the supercharger.

I am then presented a California document (a print off of their website) D-425-13. Looks like the document was signed the beginning of July 2003, just over a year before my truck left the assembly line (IN CALIFORNIA!). The guy running the smog test says that because I have a 2004 and not a 2003 he can't pass my truck. Now, not that this guy made my supercharger an issue, but i have put a lot of work into getting the truck to not throw any codes for it to pass smog. So, at no fault to the tester, I'm not thrilled... Almost the worst part of this is that my truck PASSES the "functional inspection."

So, I have called the state and made an appointment to see a "smog referee" for the first week in April. From my understanding, they will determine if my truck can be allowed in California as is or if i need to re-install all the old stock parts (which I don't have, and do NOT want to install).

What I am creating this post to ask is, has anyone else running a S/C 2004 encountered this issue? And what that outcome was. Also, I am keenly aware that there are virtually no differences between the 2003 and 2004 5VZ-FE, but what can I provide as proof to the state to collaborate this?

PLEASE HELP!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Tyler!!!

I'm gonna email that smog guy that form and have him double check!

Hopefully save me a trip to downtown Sac!

#5 ·
So, I emailed the smog guy. He says that because my the sticker on my truck is for EO No. D-425-13 he can't pass me until I have a new sticker from Toyota. I have to get the sticker that has the EO No. D-425-15.

This sticker is not good for the 2004 model...

This seems a little ridiculous to me... But, this smog place offers one free re-test within 60 days. So I stopped by the dealership today, and they are contacting Toyota to have a new sticker sent to me free of charge.

Out of all of this, I don't understand how the intake, of all things, affects what's coming out the tail pipe! Whatever, California.

At this point, I'm not sure if its the state or the smog guy saying I need this crap. Probably good to have the sticker for the future, I guess...

#6 ·
Smog techs have to look and go by the EO number that is required to be stamped/etched on the equipment or otherwise stickered as such. They do not have any room for interpreting the rules. The state is very strict about that. The referee would probably be able to pass you just based on the EO information on the CARB website, but the tech can't make that call. Best to get the new sticker anyways.

#7 ·
It's good to know the guy isn't making me jump though hoops just to make me jump through hoops. Let's hope the sticker shows up soon.

#8 ·
Hmm, interesting and informative. I've had my truck smogged three times since instaling my supercharger, "illegal" 7th injector, and Airaid Intake Tube and nobody has ever had a problem with it. I did not even install the stickers that came with the S/C and intake tube, but now I'll keep 'em in the glove box along with the updated Executive Order. Here'e a link to the Executive Order for Airaid's replacement intake tube if anyone is running the same setup as I am......

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-609-6.pdf

#9 ·
Hi All,

Sorry for the extended delay about the resolution for this issue. I don't use TTORA as much as i used to.

But, I wanted to close the loop on this issue. I did get the updated sticker from my local dealership. I had to speak with the parts/customer service manager, and he had to reach out to TRD for the updated EO sticker. TRD sent the sticker to the dealership as soon as they could. To my recollection (as this was almost 4 years ago) i didn't have to pay for the sticker and it only took a week or two (the pic below was taked April 4th, 2017).

Hope this helps anyone that encounters this issue.

Reactions: ShowStop
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.