TTORA Forum banner

Looking for good roll bar and lights?

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jester_motorsports 
#1 ·
I have decided to start fixing my 03 ex-cab tacoma up. After much thought I have decided to go with a roll bar instead of a tool box. I like the look of the single bar with either 2 lights or 4 across. Where can I find a good roll bar online? After googling I only came across the grizzle brands. Think i'm going to go with a black one, since my truck is already got black trim, mirrors,grill,doorhandle,etc..What should I look for when buying a roll bar. Also what kind of lights should I go with? Do all roll bars need that light bar to hold the lights?

#2 ·
I've also been thinking about roll protection recently...either in cab or a sturdy bed type. It would be nice to tie the cab bed and motor bay together but thats alot of dinero.

It should be interesting to see what people here come up with.

#3 ·
Tacoark said:
I have decided to start fixing my 03 ex-cab tacoma up. After much thought I have decided to go with a roll bar instead of a tool box. I like the look of the single bar with either 2 lights or 4 across. Where can I find a good roll bar online? After googling I only came across the grizzle brands. Think i'm going to go with a black one, since my truck is already got black trim, mirrors,grill,doorhandle,etc..What should I look for when buying a roll bar. Also what kind of lights should I go with? Do all roll bars need that light bar to hold the lights?
Actually, you'll find on this site that the item that you're calling a "roll bar", most here will refer to as a "light bar". A light bar will do virtually nothing in the event of an actual rollover. Try searching for light bars and see if you come up with anything else.

#4 ·
jester_motorsports said:
Actually, you'll find on this site that the item that you're calling a "roll bar", most here will refer to as a "light bar". A light bar will do virtually nothing in the event of an actual rollover. Try searching for light bars and see if you come up with anything else.
I have to disagree to an extent. I rolled my '89 Toy 2.5 times doing 70 mph. (fell asleep at the wheel and walked away, no seat belt either) Without my light bar my cab would've been more smashed than it was. I got lucky but that cheesy light bar actually helped me. I do agree they do not provide the same protection of a roll bar that is attached to the frame, but they are better than nothing.

#5 ·
my friend got forced off the road by a semi and rolled his 01 Titan 4 or 5 times, he walked away w/o a scratch, 2 passengers got alittle bruised and scraped, and 1 broke his neck...it was a miracle any survived.
It really got me thinking about this.
i am aware that most bed mounted setups simply attach to the bed but some go through the bed and are welded to the frame. that i think would be a viable option to an in cab cage, which believe me i would really like:D

#8 ·
Like Jester said what you are looking for is a poser light bar. If you want rollover protection look at offroadsolutions.com for a great in cab cage or your gonna have to have someone fab one up for you. If your looking for a poser light bar than you can find them all over. Try summit or jcwhitney.

#10 ·
willoughby said:
ok...I am just looking to buy a roll bar for the "right look". I am not looking for rollover protection -- My head is pretty hard :D

:supergay:

#16 ·
02tacotim said:
Like Jester said what you are looking for is a poser light bar. If you want rollover protection look at offroadsolutions.com for a great

That is a real nice product though it seems it could use more triangulation, i'm no expert however.

I wonder what it would cost to get one of those installed professionally? any idea?
Mike

#17 ·
i had leadfoot in temec quote me for a basic cab cage that would go from my shock hoop in the back to my engine cage in the front and they wanted 2500. that was with me stripping the cab and the stock dash not going back in...

#18 ·
They aren't too difficult to install. Depending on where you live you could hit someone up from here who has one or has installed one.

Tim

#20 · (Edited)
I'd suggest Smittybilt but I don't see any sort of light bars or roll bars on their web site now besides some sort of thing that mounts to the bed rails. I think the old one piece bars that they used to make through the 80's and 90's are the best looking roll bars (light bars) ever made. It's a shame they stopped making them a few years ago. I have one that was designed for a 73-88 Toyota and it pretty much fits in my Taco but it needs to be modified slightly to mount on the fender wells right. So it now sits in my back yard until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Sorry about the blurry photo. These are the only two pictures I have with that bar sitting in the bed of my truck.

Attachments

#21 ·
slow_key said:
They are called light bars simply because of product liability, there is some protection but because of some lawsuits they changed the name :mad:
No, really, they're called light bars because that's all they're intended to do...hold lights. They're not intended for, or built for, roll protection. Yes, some say that they MIGHT provide a little protection, but how much do you really want to rely on something that is bolted to 18 or 20 gauge sheet metal in the event of a rollover? I personally wouldn't put much faith into that.

But we're just mincing words here. I think that the guy that started the thread understands what I was talking about as far as the difference is concerned. He's also gotten some good input on where to get the type of product that he's looking for.

Post pics when you get the thing installed. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.