My Front Diff Hex Bolt is all Chewed up! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy My Front Diff Hex Bolt is all Chewed up!

In my multiple attempts to remove the front 10mm Hex bolt drain plug from the front diff on my 2000 Taco 4x4 I have stripped the bolt up.

I am almost certain that the fluid has never been changed given the condition of the rear and transfer case fluid when I changed them. When it came time to remove the front drain plug I could not get it to come off. Using my huge breaker bar and lots of liquid wrench the drain plug refused to break loose. And after applying enough force I eventually stripped the nut up.

My question is how should I go about removing the drain plug now that itís stripped up? If it was a regular socket bolt I could use a "bolt out" style bolt remover except this is a hex nut style bolt. Do they make removal tools to use in these style nuts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

righty tighty lefty loosey
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I wish it was that simple.

anyone?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Bocephus For President

Weld a old lug nut or something you can get a socket on to the plug. I have a diff sittting on my bench right now with that same problem and am going to get a buddy to weld something to it so I can remove the plug with a socket.

95.5 Black extended cab Taco 2.7 4x4 Manual Hub
SAW's
Alcan Six leaf with Overload Bil 5125's
4.30's Non TRD
33x10.5 BFG AT's on 15x7 Stock Wheels
CBI Front Bumper
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Interex
If worse comes to worse, you can pull the diff out and empty it through the CV sockets.

Harold
'15 Tundra CrewMax Limited 5.7L
'94 Toyota Supra Turbo PT76-GTS, Auto->6 speed
4X4 Conversion Thread
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to prezidentredz
They they make a hex type of remover for stiped bolts. Im not sure who i knw snap-on makes them.

Uncivilized Creations. Anything Else Would be Civilized.
----------------------------------------------------
2000 Tacoma Xtracab TRD 2.7 5sp, LC Engineering Under Drive Crank Pully. 31x12.50x16 Superswamper SSR Radials. Front OME 882 Coils and HD Shocks,Rear Allpro Leafs and Downey Shackles. Allpro Skids + a Custom T-Case Skid. K&N Intake.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:59 AM

I hammered a torx socket into mine worked awsome, i cant remember the size, use a size slightly bigger than the hole. but it beats welding to it.

96 Taco with 3 inch revtek lift. Custom homemade rear bumper, 3 inch pa bodylift and new 33x13.5r15 Intero LTB's
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Glass is for sissies

You can use a reverse twist extractor bit.

Please wheel responsibly.

Tread Lightly! Tread Trainer
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 PM

That sucks. I bruised my hand last time I removed my front diff plug. A real bitch. Try the weld method detailed above.

Taco 99' 4x4 Xtra Cab 4cl 2.7L, 6" FabTech, 35" ProComp MT, 5.29's, ARB front & rear locked down - ARB bumper w/Warn M8000, BudBuilt skid, All Pro sliders springs, 5150's, dual battery's etc...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys, i think i'll try a hex nut removal tool first, (if i can find one in town) then go to the welding idea.

does anyone know where to get a replacement 10 mm toyota diff drain plug at? If i get this old one out, i can stick a generic bolt it its place until i get a real replacement.

thanks
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM

You can also try to heat up the area around the bolt before you try to loosen.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:22 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of these. Many here have recommended them.
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...b88bf2880930bc

Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.

2002 Toyota Tacoma, V6 4x4 w/ TRD
All-Pro coilovers, upper control arms and rear leafs, Bilstein 5125's (170/60), 32" Yokohama Geolander AT + II's
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Marlin carries a magnetic one as well....very inexpensive.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Desert Turtle

I agree with the welding idea. I have done this several times and it works great. Be cautious heating the plug up not to melt anything inside, or ignite the gear oil. Chances of this happening are pretty slim, but just be careful. I have personally experienced gear oil igniting in a diff and it's an ugly scene, smelly and messy too.

Linked, locked, and blown one ton monster on 40's!!
08 2500 4x4 Cummins tow rig and DDmmmmmmm,
Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/kaistie
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 PM

You could also use a hammer and small chisel and knock it loose. I had the same issue on my 00 Runner and I ended up letting Toyota do it and they just knocked it loose w/ an air chisel.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Deal Master

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...58&postcount=3

Pg 77 (1999 Owner's Manual)
(!) Brake System Warning Light
This light has the following functions:
-Parking Brake Reminder
-Low Brake Fluid level Warning
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is the same way. I gave up on it and bought a $10 oil suction thing to put through the fill hole. It got out about as much oil as I had put in before (I measured it), so it seems a good option, and it only took 1 or 2 strokes if I remember.

One thing to watch out for if you buy a replacement plug - the front diff drain is a bigger diameter than all the other drain & fill plugs, even though the front diff fill is the same size as the others.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
does anyone know where to get a replacement 10 mm toyota diff drain plug at? If i get this old one out, i can stick a generic bolt it its place until i get a real replacement.

thanks
The Toyota dealer

I had to replace the rear diff plug on mine, was 3 or 4 bucks. But it wasn't in stock so I had to wait a few days for it to be delivered.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
In my multiple attempts to remove the front 10mm Hex bolt drain plug from the front diff on my 2000 Taco 4x4 I have stripped the bolt up.

I am almost certain that the fluid has never been changed given the condition of the rear and transfer case fluid when I changed them. When it came time to remove the front drain plug I could not get it to come off. Using my huge breaker bar and lots of liquid wrench the drain plug refused to break loose. And after applying enough force I eventually stripped the nut up.

My question is how should I go about removing the drain plug now that itís stripped up? If it was a regular socket bolt I could use a "bolt out" style bolt remover except this is a hex nut style bolt. Do they make removal tools to use in these style nuts?

Thanks
I finally welded a 3/4" nut to the sucker...should have done this a long time ago, LOL It was pretty easy to do. just get a couple solid tacks on it, remove and finish welding. then clean it up so the nut doesn't have any weld boogers to get in the way of a socket.

I tacked the nut on using a 1/2" bolt to hold it on to the plug then touched up spots with a file and Dremel with a grinding wheel so my wench would fit on easily.

Then finish welding and file or grind off the excess on the nut faces

makes things much easier to work with...wrench or socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:00 PM

That's a good idea for getting the plug out when it's stuck / stripped, but be careful if you're planning on leaving this "modified" plug on your truck (especially if it's on your drain plugs). One reason that these plugs are designed to be flush with the diff casing when they're installed is to minimize the chance of them getting caught on a rock or something when you're off-roading and having them ripped out of the diff, leaving you stranded. The front diff is not bad, but the transfer case and more so the rear diff drain plugs are quite exposed.

2002, 4Runner, Auto, 3.4L, 5VZ-FE
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil / K&N Oil Filter - Mobil 1 75W90 Synthetic gear oil in Front, Rear and Transfer, Extended rear diff breather, Westin Step Bars, "4-air" system for airing up/down tires, Deckplate Mod,
Andymod, Dual battery setup with Optima blue top deep cycle auxiliary battery

Mods to Come:
Auxiliary fuse box,
Full time power to aux power plugs from aux fuse box
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgallant
That's a good idea for getting the plug out when it's stuck / stripped, but be careful if you're planning on leaving this "modified" plug on your truck (especially if it's on your drain plugs). One reason that these plugs are designed to be flush with the diff casing when they're installed is to minimize the chance of them getting caught on a rock or something when you're off-roading and having them ripped out of the diff, leaving you stranded. The front diff is not bad, but the transfer case and more so the rear diff drain plugs are quite exposed.
Umm, it would be nearly impossible to rip that front diff plug off, LOL
as for the rear, it is already a hex bolt, not an allen.
same with the tranny and tcase.

most of us have beefy skids under everything vital anyways

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Miguel Send a message via MSN to Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
I finally welded a 3/4" nut to the sucker...
Awwww...you didn't stay with metric!? What kind of Toyota owner ARE you???

~Miguel

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Wont a reverse bolt out work? Die set? Just dont use your hundred dollar set.

1997 2.7L Tacoma 4x4
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 PM

Stripped drain plugs

If you strike the plugs sharply with a hammer before you try to remove them, I've found they come out easily (don't murder it with the hammer)

03 ,ex cab taco, TRD ,auto 3.4 with an ARE cap (with enough time and enough money ya can fix anything)
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Talking

I'm likin' the welding idea. Today i did the super fast, get it done right now option, and that was to pump out the old crap through the fill plug and replace the fluid.

I'll break out the mig welder this weekend and weld a bolt onto it and pull that bastard out!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel4110
Awwww...you didn't stay with metric!? What kind of Toyota owner ARE you???

~Miguel
actually it is a 19mm

that better?

Quote:
Quote:
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
I'm likin' the welding idea. Today i did the super fast, get it done right now option, and that was to pump out the old crap through the fill plug and replace the fluid.

I'll break out the mig welder this weekend and weld a bolt onto it and pull that bastard out!
just make sure to get it centered

Quote:
Quote:
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmaboy View Post
You can use a reverse twist extractor bit.
I'm having the same problem with mine (stripped front diff drain plug). Is this the extractor you're talking about: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog. It's 13/32", which is slightly bigger than 10mm, so it should be fine, right?

If this doesn't work, I might go the storz route. If not that, then weld. (Dealership wants $95/hr to do the job themselves. AAAAAH!!! Hawaii sucks sometimes!)

Thanks,
-Radar

2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD TRD. Grey wire mod, Donahoe Extended-travel Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, OME Dakar Leaf Springs, Donahoe Rear-reservoir Shocks, Goodrich front & rear brake lines, Tundra front brakes, ARB bull bar, IPF 968cs driving lights, Delta bed box, Warn M8000 winch, Demello rock crusher sliders, Safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, Viair constant duty compressor & tank kit, Demello hybrid rear bumper, CS-144 alternator, CB radio, lots of other goodies.

My other ride hovers.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaistie View Post
I agree with the welding idea. I have done this several times and it works great. Be cautious heating the plug up not to melt anything inside, or ignite the gear oil. Chances of this happening are pretty slim, but just be careful. I have personally experienced gear oil igniting in a diff and it's an ugly scene, smelly and messy too.
I agree, this works excellent.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 10:35 AM

I had the same thing happen to mine. It had never been off and my truck only had 15K miles. that bitch would not come out and I stripped it.. I used a reverse tap out. Then i went to the stealership and paid like 8 bucks for a new one.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/643603 03 ext.cab SR5 TRD V-6 supercharged/urd fuel mods 6inch fabtech lift+1inch RB, custom radflo coilovers, 4.88's, 35 12.5 BFG AT, 15x10 Micky Thompson classic ii beadlock black, stubbs sliders rhino lining, custom sound system, etc, etc, etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode