TTORA Forum banner

Broken Grade 8 bolt

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wvu95taco 
#1 ·
Well I finally got around to replacing the CV boots on my passenger side. I got the axel nut off fine as well as 3 of the 4 bolts which connect that lower ball joint plate to the stearing knuckle. One of the bolts farthest from the tire twisted off. Well I have tried to drill a grade 8 bolt before and it didnt work very well. One of my friends recommended using an easy out. I also found someone recommend this on a similar thread on here. I have access to a shop to burn it out of you all think this would be the best method however I will have to remove the upper ball joint from the upper control arm which ive never tried to do... Well any Input on easy outs or alternative methods to removing this bolt would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Caleb.

#2 ·
I don't think those are grade eight. I do know that the knuckle casting is somewhat soft so you have to be very careful not to strip the bolt hole threads. I seem to recall getting broken bolts out of them before without too much trouble.
Go to Sears and get some of those screw out and bolt out things, they seem to work pretty well. A little PB Blaster before you get underway wouldn't hurt either.

Be sure to use some blue locktight and a torque wrench to put in the new ones.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The bolt has 6 tick marks on the top. If my roomate would just gas up his truck I would "steal" it and head up there tonight to find something along those lines.

#5 ·
the aren't that hard to drill out...we did one in the parking lot after Rubicon '04. Drill it out and use an easy-out...should come right out. ;)

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I bought a set of those broken bolt removers at sears. Its dark out so ill give it a shot tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.