steel wheel tacoma same as alloy wheel tacoma? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

steel wheel tacoma same as alloy wheel tacoma?

hello,
new here.
is a '96 V6 tacoma with the ugly 15X6 steel wheels any different from a '96 V6 tacoma with the nice 15X7 alloy wheels and 31's from factory? in other words, do they have different diffs, trannys or any other gearing different?
the reason i ask is my '96 V6 tacoma (ext cab, manual) has the ugly steelies and i bought a nice set of alloys which im going to mount with 31's. i know the V6 has the power and all, but i want to know if there are any mechanical differences from the factory?
same question for a '96 2.7L Tacoma (manual) as i'm planning to eventually sell my tacoma for a 2.7L.
thanks in advance,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to mrbigbri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
is a '96 V6 tacoma with the ugly 15X6 steel wheels any different from a '96 V6 tacoma with the nice 15X7 alloy wheels and 31's from factory?
It basically comes down to the diff gear ratio - anyone with a 95-97 taco that came from the factory with 31" tires got a 4.10 gear ratio. With the smaller tires, you were lucky to get 3.91 (like me), but most had even lower.

I wonder how much better my truck would perform with the 4.10 gears. I started feeling a little better about it in 2001 when most of the stock 31"-equipped Tacos started coming with 3.91, but still.

Brian
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:10 AM

I thought the later 00-01ish 4 cyls with 31's or 265/70/16's were coming with a 4.30 gear set to deal with the larger tires. Before that I believe they were 4.10's. All three of my older v-6 tacomas came with 31's and had 4.10's as does my 05 4cyl. Most of the steelie 225/75/15 that i've seen came with 3.91's.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:46 AM

rims

i had a 97 tacoma 2.7 came with steel wheels i put 97 fourrunner aloy rims on it no problem i still have the rims anyone intrested in them email me at docktortal33@hotmail.com they never saw winter and are in pefrect condition used my steel rims for winter had 31x10.50 tires on them worked fine look great too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode