Tranny Question - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Question

Recently I have noticed that when I'm making turns where I have to slow down or taking off from only a couple of mph every once in awhile it feels like my transmission shifts into Neutral and if I dont watch it the rpms will get high and then once it finds a gear it makes a bang noise and the truck jolts from the higher rpm's. I checked my fluid while the truck was cold and found it to be under the "cold" line by about 2 inches, so I am planning on filling that tomorrow but is there anything specific that could be causing this problem?

-Spencer

1989 Pickup - Extended Cab 22RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Stinks like fish

Sounds like it is really low on fluid. Go to buy a couple of gallons of ATF and keep that tranny full. My tranny seems to be a bottomless fluid taker. 4-6 qtd for a drain and refill and it never seems to fill up. Seriously someone probably folllowed the toyota recomendation for a drain and fill that is grossly under estimated.

All this is assuming you have no leaks an other problems but your showign classic cavitation symptoms from under filling.

I've been Jeeped
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Bryanccfshr, It sounds like you hit the nail on the head on this one. The book calls for my 01 auto to take 2 quorts to refill after a drain but it takes 4 quorts. This was mentioned on another form and a Tacoma tec came on and said the book is a misprint and it does take 4 quorts. I found out he's right because I bought 4 before doing my last drain and fill and it took just a little less then 4 quorts.
Spencer, Fill it up while hot and see if it helps, if it does then I would have a flush done. It filling it doesn't help it then it's to late and you need a new trannie.Not trying to tell you what to do but you may want to have a complete flush done. Most of your quick lube places will do it for around $40.00 plus the price of 18 quorts of trannie fluid. Not cheap but it's a whole lot cheaper then a new tranny. Mike

2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4 , step side, 2.7 , extended cab, Auto. Mobile 1 syn 5w30 , Valvoline 75-90 syn in front and rear diffs and transfer case. Factory 16" wheels ,31" Wild Country TXR 265/75/R16, Aluminum Betterbuilt bed tool box, CB , 55W Halogen light mounted on tool box for back up, Elbow air box mod, 2 500 Hella running lights, Nissan clinometers/Altimiter custom mounted on dash with red back lights.Red dome and mapp light. 2,35watt backup lights.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm hoping its just a little low on fluid, its not like I really beat on the thing. I drive like an old man. And since its such an intermittent problem maybe its not to late to catch the problem. What kind of fluid do our auto transmissions take?

1989 Pickup - Extended Cab 22RE
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode