CV boot question - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

CV boot question

I went wheeling this past weekend. Today when I was out cleaning the truck I noticed I had somehow managed to put a pretty good size gash in the inner cv boot. It was also muddy out on the trail and looks like there is some mud in the grease in the boot. I was wondering if I just replace the boots and clean very well when I do if that is enough, or if I should replace the whole cv. Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM

oooppss

http://www.puresynthetics.com

98 Tacoma- Ex cab-4x4-S/C-Trd Headers-Trd cat back-URD Fuel upgrade-URD 2.0 pulley-ACT Clutch-AMSOIL air filter-supra MAF- w/deck plate mod- gray wire mod- Custom 4runner hood scoop-31x10.50 Revos-Flex-a-lite dual fans, custom paint ghost flames,emblems are painted on,swapt to 2000 bigger mirrors and power,URD short shifter

Last edited by ssyota; 03-29-2005 at 07:00 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeer
I went wheeling this past weekend. Today when I was out cleaning the truck I noticed I had somehow managed to put a pretty good size gash in the inner cv boot. It was also muddy out on the trail and looks like there is some mud in the grease in the boot. I was wondering if I just replace the boots and clean very well when I do if that is enough, or if I should replace the whole cv. Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.

As long as you don't wait to long you will be safe with just cleaning and changing the boot. When you get the new boot it should come with new grease and two new clamps.The only bad part about changing the Toyota cv boot is that you have to pull them both to fix one.Well unless you are just changing the inner. I think that is right. May be the other way around. I think it was my outter boot. I f...ed it up wheeling too and when I went to change it I found out that I had to pull the inner to get the outter off. So just make sure you get two more clamps and another bag of grease.
O and welcome to the board!!

http://www.puresynthetics.com

98 Tacoma- Ex cab-4x4-S/C-Trd Headers-Trd cat back-URD Fuel upgrade-URD 2.0 pulley-ACT Clutch-AMSOIL air filter-supra MAF- w/deck plate mod- gray wire mod- Custom 4runner hood scoop-31x10.50 Revos-Flex-a-lite dual fans, custom paint ghost flames,emblems are painted on,swapt to 2000 bigger mirrors and power,URD short shifter
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 PM

if it is the inner, you can do just that boot. but, since you have to pull the axle anyway, it would be better to do both. Just pull the axle out, cut bands on inner, remove inner end, take snap ring off of shaft, remove tripod and clean the needle bearings real good. Put new small clamp on, put boot on, install tripod and lube after you slide the end onto the tripod and reboot.

put small amount of grease on retainer that slides in diff to hold in place for easier installation.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeer
Also, does anyone have a link to a good write up on CV boot changes? Thanks.
Changing the CV Boots on a ADD Equipped Tacoma

2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 -- 315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5" BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode