Portable Winch? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Portable Winch?

I am currently running 3" CF spacer lift and 33x1050. I am also having to add a 1" body lift to resolve some rubbing issues. Therefore a custom bumper and and hard mounted winch are not in the picture for me.

I going to add two receiver points to the front of my truck. Mainly for recovery points and possible for a removable brush gard. I have also thought of using those point for a portable winch if I get in a bind and I am in need for self recovery.

So Here is my question. Would you use a cheap no name 8000lb winch from Harbor Freight, a 6000lb winch from mile marker (or one of the other popular ones) w/ a snatch block or two, or just keep a come a long and a cell phone in the truck. Keep in mind these two winches cost about the same $300-$400, and that if I had to spend more than that I would just make sure I took a friend (which I don't have any, not with trucks that they wheel anyway). Also the winch would stay in my tool box and not out in the elements.

Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Retired

Why is a custom bumper not in the picture?

I would be wary of winching from a simply recovery point or a bolt-on brush guard.

-Thomas

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Too much weight with out replacing front suspension.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaggie
Too much weight with out replacing front suspension.
With a winch, you'd be correct, but with a properly built multi-mount winch setup you could have a custom bumper with a receiver and use that for winching. The bumper could be designed for winching.

A tube bumper alone will weigh well under 100 lbs.
Mine weighs about 70 lbs.

-Thomas

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

The receiver points that I am planning on adding will be welded to the top of the frame ends. They will go through the gap in the valance with minor trimming. I wouldn't think that using one of or both of these points to winch from would be different than using a bumper with a incorporated receiver. Especialy if you put the winch on one side, used a snatch block and and hooked the cable to the other.

But I am new at this and I am asking for opinions, so please tell me if I am wrong.

Brad
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Retired

Quote:
The receiver points that I am planning on adding will be welded to the top of the frame ends. They will go through the gap in the valance with minor trimming. I wouldn't think that using one of or both of these points to winch from would be different than using a bumper with a incorporated receiver. Especialy if you put the winch on one side, used a snatch block and and hooked the cable to the other.

But I am new at this and I am asking for opinions, so please tell me if I am wrong.

Brad
When you say frame ends, do you mean the frame itself or the frame horns?

Why I ask is because the 98s and 99s had frame horns that are bolted on.

The snatch block idea is good.

Sounds like you have a good plan so far.

-Thomas

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I have a 99, I will have to check on the frame horns I may need to alter my design.

Brad
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Retired

If you take the frame horns off you'll have a flat surface to work with on the frame ends.

-Thomas

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Now that the mounting point is quasi resolved. Does anyone have comments on the original winch question?

Thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now that the mounting point is quasi resolved. Does anyone have comments on the original winch question?

Thanks
I suggest staying away from the Harbor Freight Winches. I would go with the MileMarker or another American name brand winch.

Harbor Freight imports 99% of their stuff, and my experience with chinese electric motors, ie two of them has been less than successful, so take that for what its worth, I got what I paid for.

I noticed a 8K milemarker in the classifieds section used, here for $325. That might be an affordable option if a Milemarker is what your looking for.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

I use a Warn M6000 SDP in my rear reciever, I also keep a snatch block and a couple of tow straps to use as extensions since I only have 50' of cable (25 with snatchblock) , I had a front reciever mount but quit using it after hearing stories of how the front section of the frame is allegedly prone to bending from wincing
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to hecull Send a message via Yahoo to hecull
I'd say just add an easily available single front receiver and get a Warn multi-mount. It's only going to be a few hundred more than the setup you're talking about, but you're going to get much more out of it. If a no-name is going to cost you $400, wait and spend the extra on a Warn. One of the worst mistakes we all make, is trying to do things the cheap way. There is so much truth to the saying that you get what you pay for.
Just my opinion, good luck.
KO

'03 Double Cab and stuff
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
Why is a custom bumper not in the picture?

I would be wary of winching from a simply recovery point or a bolt-on brush guard.
....Don't most custom bumper bolt on???? I have a bolt on warn tran4mer kit that is great and strong! I feel pretty good about pulling lots of weight with my portable warn winch!!! No problem there!!!!!

Nic

Sierra Expeditions
www.sierraexpeditions.com
1-866-507-4254

Slightly Modified 2001 Dbl Cab Tacoma
Bantam BT3-C Expedition Trailer
85' FJ60 - New Adventure
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willman
....Don't most custom bumper bolt on???? I have a bolt on warn tran4mer kit that is great and strong! I feel pretty good about pulling lots of weight with my portable warn winch!!! No problem there!!!!!
I should have said "screw on". How about that.

My front bumper is bolted on, but it's also made out of 1 5/16" schedule 40 and 1/4 plate steel, with grade eight hardware. Weighs around 70 pounds and it's extremely rigid.

A light weight brush guard hardly compares to a tubular steel bumper like those from C.B.I., Demello, Off-Axis.

-Thomas

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
I should have said "screw on". How about that.

My front bumper is bolted on, but it's also made out of 1 5/16" schedule 40 and 1/4 plate steel, with grade eight hardware. Weighs around 70 pounds and it's extremely rigid.

A light weight brush guard hardly compares to a tubular steel bumper like those from C.B.I., Demello, Off-Axis.
It all depends on what you what to do with your front end! I'm not looking to take out any brick walls...I would love a nice heavy bumper like yourself but dont have that kind of $$$! Did you have to get heavy springs for the front??? Got any pics? Who made it etc?

By the way..That warn brush guard will put up a fight!!!

Nic

Sierra Expeditions
1-866-507-4254

85' FJ60 - New Adventure
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Retired

Quote:
It all depends on what you what to do with your front end! I'm not looking to take out any brick walls...I would love a nice heavy bumper like yourself but dont have that kind of $$$! Did you have to get heavy springs for the front??? Got any pics? Who made it etc?

By the way..That warn brush guard will put up a fight!!!
Brick walls, LOL! That's what I feel like in this tank, err, truck.

It's a fairly heavy bumper and the suspension is paying the price as in I've lost some lift. Just spacers stiffening the coils.

-Thomas

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=AK98Taco]Brick walls, LOL! That's what I feel like in this tank, err, truck.

It's a fairly heavy bumper and the suspension is paying the price as in I've lost some lift. Just spacers stiffening the coils.

Nice ride!

Nic

Sierra Expeditions
1-866-507-4254

85' FJ60 - New Adventure
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Retired

Quote:
Nice ride!
Much appreciated!

-Thomas

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode