2001 Tire rub? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

2001 Tire rub?

I'm looking at purchasing an ext cab Tacoma. I've found a TRD that has been in a front end collision. It has about 31" BFG AT's on it but there is some significant tire rub on the pass side when turning right. I know there are some slight frame rub issues when running this size tire but this is catching on the back portion of the wheel well not just some rub on the fram. Is this something that's normal? Or is the alignment out of wack? The guy is telling me he just had it aligned but with this it seems like the alignment might be jacked. Can't see any new parts as far as the upper and lower arms or the CV shaft is concerned. Is there anything else I should be aware of with the 01 Taco's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Not really here...

Are they 31's or "about" 31's? If they're 31's, they shouldn't rub unless the front suspension has sagged A LOT. Given that it's an '01, I wouldn't think the coils could've sagged enough to cause rubbing, but who knows. More than likely the alignment needs to be adjusted forward. Are they stock rims and tires, or aftermarket? If the rims are aftermarket, they may be too wide, or of improper backspacing. If the tires are 31's, are they 31x10.5's or 31x12.5's? Wider would rub easier.

You've checked to make sure the frame isn't bent?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Frame doesn't look bent. Rims are stock, tires I think are 31 AT's. Drivers side tire seems fine. There are some rub marks from the tires on both sides of the frame. Could bent control arms caust this?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Matt
I own a 01 TRD xtracab. The TRD version came with 265/70R16s which are 31" tires or so. It shouldn't be rubbing. Are they wide tires? Front end collision causing this?

Matt
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:29 PM

yeah i would say that the collision caused some sort of shift in the suspension components. do you know what side received the most impact?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

I don't know which side was hit worse, but there was a front end impact. The drivers side seems fine, so wouldn't that rule out that the frame is bad and point to the control arms on the pass side being bad or maybe the subframe assembly being tweekd a little?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetuff76
I don't know which side was hit worse, but there was a front end impact. The drivers side seems fine, so wouldn't that rule out that the frame is bad and point to the control arms on the pass side being bad or maybe the subframe assembly being tweekd a little?
i would not touch it.

- for 10,000 years, man has been hitting things with hammers to make them work....dont mess with a working formula

Book of the Piece Chapter 3, Verse 10

meh... it's yer junk... so wgasa. LoL -- TacoDell
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetuff76
maybe you should look into a different truck, looks like this truck will only give you problems, and be unsafe
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode