TTORA Forum banner

2001 Tire rub?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  x0ffr0adtac0x 
#1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing an ext cab Tacoma. I've found a TRD that has been in a front end collision. It has about 31" BFG AT's on it but there is some significant tire rub on the pass side when turning right. I know there are some slight frame rub issues when running this size tire but this is catching on the back portion of the wheel well not just some rub on the fram. Is this something that's normal? Or is the alignment out of wack? The guy is telling me he just had it aligned but with this it seems like the alignment might be jacked. Can't see any new parts as far as the upper and lower arms or the CV shaft is concerned. Is there anything else I should be aware of with the 01 Taco's?

#2 ·
Are they 31's or "about" 31's? If they're 31's, they shouldn't rub unless the front suspension has sagged A LOT. Given that it's an '01, I wouldn't think the coils could've sagged enough to cause rubbing, but who knows. More than likely the alignment needs to be adjusted forward. Are they stock rims and tires, or aftermarket? If the rims are aftermarket, they may be too wide, or of improper backspacing. If the tires are 31's, are they 31x10.5's or 31x12.5's? Wider would rub easier.

You've checked to make sure the frame isn't bent?

#7 ·
I don't know which side was hit worse, but there was a front end impact. The drivers side seems fine, so wouldn't that rule out that the frame is bad and point to the control arms on the pass side being bad or maybe the subframe assembly being tweekd a little?

#8 ·
onetuff76 said:
I don't know which side was hit worse, but there was a front end impact. The drivers side seems fine, so wouldn't that rule out that the frame is bad and point to the control arms on the pass side being bad or maybe the subframe assembly being tweekd a little?
i would not touch it.

#9 ·
onetuff76 said:
maybe you should look into a different truck, looks like this truck will only give you problems, and be unsafe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.