5th Gear shift clunk noise question - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

5th Gear shift clunk noise question

I just got a '96 V6 4x4 ext cab with 190k everything is in like new condition and I love it but there is a thunk or clunk when I shift into 5th gear, it happens at any speed no matter how easy I shift or let out the clutch. The other gears have a slight thunk but not nearly as much as 5th. It has a 3" Rev Tech spacer and Bilstein HDs in the front and either an AAL or new springs in the back with 5125s in the rear. My Toyota Tech drove it and said it was probably the center support bracket for the driveshaft. Has anybody else had this problem? I don't want to pay to fix it and still have the problem.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:42 PM

I have the same year taco, and I get that clunk in fifth gear as well, Im not to worried about it, cause I think its the syncros in the tranny cause the reverse gear and fifth gear are on the same imput shaft. When I shift in to fifth I just giver a little higher rpm about 2500 hun on the tach, and it slides right in with no clunk, My 89 toyota had the same problem stealership said nothing major.

96 Taco with 3 inch revtek lift. Custom homemade rear bumper, 3 inch pa bodylift and new 33x13.5r15 Intero LTB's
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Climb under your truck and grab hold of the driveshaft and push it up and down to check the centersupport bearing. The bearing is held in the middle by the rubber ring. If you can move it easily more that 1/2 inch and/ of the rubber looks worn out, get it changed. The way mine told me it was wearing out was by a clunk when starting to move in first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode