1998 2.7 automatic - Mystery Oil Leak. - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bigbobmegadeth
1998 2.7 automatic - Mystery Oil Leak.

I own a 95 1/2, 4x4, 5 speed, 2.7L taco. I'm looking at a 98 4runner for my GF that has the same engine but its auto, 2 wheel drive. It has 186K and runs well, the only problem is an oil leak that is on the passenger side of the block that you can only see from underneath. The origin looks to be somewhere near the oil filter but the oil filter itself is not wet. It might be the oil pan gasket but it appears to be wet a little above that, possibly the head gasket? I hope it isn't the head gasket. I don't believe it is the rear main seal either since most of the oil is located on the passenger SIDE of the block and the bell housing of the trans is not particularly wet. The steering rack and bash plate are wet and so are the steel trans lines that are above that, there is even a drip coming from the trans lines but I am 100% positive it is NOT trans fluid, it is definitely engine oil. Is this some "notorious 2.7 leak" that I don't know about? I searched ttora and yotatech and have not found anything. Any ideas would be very very helpful.

PS. Anyone in SoCal need some fab work done? Bumpers, sliders, cage, ect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM

I just fixed that mystery leak about 6 months ago. I do not have the part number, but here is my best description. Where your oil filter is attached that "neck" can be unbolted from the block (If I remember correctly 2 bolts). When you remove that from the block, there is a oring sandwiched between the neck and the block. Replace that and no more leak.
At the time I was installing and LC header so I had to remove the exhaust manifold. Access was easy to the 2 bolts. I have basic tools here at home so I'm not sure if there is some fancy extension that would allow you to reach those bots without taking the exhaust manifold off.
I believe the seal/oring was about $5

I lived with that leak for a year trying to figure it out. The easiest way for you to find the part is go to your local Toyota dealer and explain what you are looking for and they'll pop it up right on their screen, that's how I found it.

I hope this all made sense LOL
Rich

BTW I'll trade that info for sliders

After 16 years of great use, it's been SOLD
1995.5 Tacoma 2.7L
6" Fabtech - 1.5" AOR Shackles - 315-75-16 Procomp Xtreme - 16x8 Eagle Wheels - Warn Hubs - 4:88's - LC Header - K&N FIPK 2 - Detroit locker - All Pro Rear Bumper

Last edited by Sleepercivic; 11-04-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added comment
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM

Feel free to email me for my number in case my description didn't make sense.
Rich
sleepercivic@aol.com

After 16 years of great use, it's been SOLD
1995.5 Tacoma 2.7L
6" Fabtech - 1.5" AOR Shackles - 315-75-16 Procomp Xtreme - 16x8 Eagle Wheels - Warn Hubs - 4:88's - LC Header - K&N FIPK 2 - Detroit locker - All Pro Rear Bumper
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bigbobmegadeth
Thank you soooo much, and after looking at my own truck I can see that it is also slightly wet right there. I will save your email address in case I got any other questions, but yes your description is excellent. I'm willing to bet I will have a tough time reaching the bolts since I will have an exhaust manifold AND trans lines to deal with but I would work on a 2.7 any day over a 3.0.

Exercise freedom of thought before freedom of speech.

95 taco
89 flatbed crawler
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Wink Old Bones

I know this thread is old news and I know how to search. With that said, does anyone have the part # for the o ring that seals the oil filter bracket as described in this thread which I found while searching? Thanks for any help and to all the honorary "TTORA TRY SEARCHING OFFICERS" thanks for not hasseling me over this post

1998 Tacoma Extra Cab, mild dana 44 swap, 35 bfg mud terrains, and a few extra's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode