85 build up aka White Stallion - TTORA Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,440
85 build up aka White Stallion

Well i got talked of doing my pre-runer swap. But i Ran across a 85 solid axle yota- 35's 4.7.1 T-case marlin gears. Welded front and rear. Needs a new head Gasket but I should be arrested for getting such a sweet ride
http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/swimmerzack/
Some lift needed

Needs flat bed
Tube bumper
roll protection of some kind
half doors
and wheeling
swimmerzack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerzack View Post
Well i got talked of doing my pre-runer swap. But i Ran across a 85 solid axle yota- 35's 4.7.1 T-case marlin gears. Welded front and rear. Needs a new head Gasket but I should be arrested for getting such a sweet ride
http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac74/swimmerzack/
Some lift needed

Needs flat bed
Tube bumper
roll protection of some kind
half doors
and wheeling
The only thing in that list that you really need is roll protection. The rest is just cosmetics right now. Fix that head gasket and let's go wheelin!
domino is offline  
post #3 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Just curious, since when is roll protection so important? If it were me, I'd do something about lockers to replace the welded front and rear. Aaron, you and Daniel don't have roll protection...

Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline  
post #4 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky Tacoma View Post
Just curious, since when is roll protection so important? If it were me, I'd do something about lockers to replace the welded front and rear. Aaron, you and Daniel don't have roll protection...
Welded in the rear is just fine. There's a bunch of us either welded or spooled in the rear. I'd even run the welded diff in the front until a lockrite can be sourced.

I will admit, I keep putting off building a cage because there's other things I want to do more. However, I tend to avoid the really steep climbs and off camber stuff where a roll is more likely. Out of the stuff he had listed, the only think I would consider necessary for wheeling is the cage. The others are just nice to have.
domino is offline  
post #5 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,157
Zack, do you have a digital camera? I want to see some pics of what your working with. Does it have crossover steering? If not i would put that further up on your list.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline  
post #6 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Zack, do you have a digital camera? I want to see some pics of what your working with. Does it have crossover steering? If not i would put that further up on your list.
Too lazy to click on the link, huh?





domino is offline  
post #7 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline  
post #8 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?
More money!
domino is offline  
post #9 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Too lazy to click on the link, huh?
Not to lazy i saw those pics, but really pics of interior, beat up body, and a dirty enging compartment.....What good are those pics? Does it have the factory low hanging tcase crosmember, and push pull steering box? Are the front springs negative arched, is thre any rust? Ya know the pics that help tell the story of what kind of work this thing really needs, to be a 4and 5 capable rig.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline  
post #10 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Not to lazy i saw those pics, but really pics of interior, beat up body, and a dirty enging compartment.....What good are those pics? Does it have the factory low hanging tcase crosmember, and push pull steering box? Are the front springs negative arched, is thre any rust? Ya know the pics that help tell the story of what kind of work this thing really needs, to be a 4and 5 capable rig.
It's probably safe to assume stock crossmember. We know it's stock steering but probably has some sort of cheap lift on it. Pretty much just has 4.7s, radial tires, and welded up 5.29s. It's a long way from a reliable 4/5 rated rig, but it'll keep up until he gets tired of fixing stuff on the trail.
domino is offline  
post #11 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Welded in the rear is just fine. There's a bunch of us either welded or spooled in the rear. I'd even run the welded diff in the front until a lockrite can be sourced.

I will admit, I keep putting off building a cage because there's other things I want to do more. However, I tend to avoid the really steep climbs and off camber stuff where a roll is more likely. Out of the stuff he had listed, the only think I would consider necessary for wheeling is the cage. The others are just nice to have.
Wow, you guys try to be careful? HA! I never would have thought that after watching you wheel sometimes and especially seeing the pics from Gilmer

Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline  
post #12 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
.
 
YotaJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 2,256
Stay on topic folks.

The merits of a roll cage vs. a "one time use cab" can be debated in OT.


'87 FJ60 Land Cruiser
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2
YotaJosh is offline  
post #13 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
01yota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stonewall, LA
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
can anyone point out the one thing i dont think any of us have that we NEED?
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.

2001 4x4 Tacoma
2007 Tundra
01yota is offline  
post #14 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yota View Post
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.
Mine's locked in the toolbox.. That's real usefull..
domino is offline  
post #15 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,440
come on boys, Eagle scout code- Be Prepared
swimmerzack is offline  
post #16 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
 
Arky Tacoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaJosh View Post
Stay on topic folks.

The merits of a roll cage vs. a "one time use cab" can be debated in OT.


Hey man,

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
Arky Tacoma is offline  
post #17 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
yaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Holiday Inn Exspress last night.
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
More money!
X2. My money tree is almost dead.

2012 double cab Tacoma
1st gen 4runner.
75 FJ40
yaker is offline  
post #18 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yota View Post
You talking about the fire extinguisher? I have one in my truck, but it's behind the seat, not as accessible as that one.
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline  
post #19 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,440
thanks pappa Glen.

yea all that and a front bumper
swimmerzack is offline  
post #20 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"
I didn't have much wheeling experience either when I got the black truck. Before that I had only tackled some 2's and 3's in the 4runner and spent quite a few years riding passenger. I agree that you gotta start small, but with a truck that's already geared and locked you end up on the 4's pretty quick.

As far as the roll bar idea, look at that blue 2nd gen that was at gilmer. He had an allpro tube bed, but it did nothing for him when he rolled in the rock garden. The whole roof and a-pillar crushed in towards him, and that was probably a pretty soft roll.
domino is offline  
post #21 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
DING DING DING, give that man a weiner


but seriously, Zack doesnt have the experience behind the wheel or wrench to tackle class 4 or 5 trails.

I am thinking some sort of roll protection if only some sort of hoop to keep the cab from crushing down, which reminds me i need to weld that brace on my "headache rack"
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline  
post #22 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I didn't have much wheeling experience either when I got the black truck. Before that I had only tackled some 2's and 3's in the 4runner and spent quite a few years riding passenger. I agree that you gotta start small, but with a truck that's already geared and locked you end up on the 4's pretty quick.

As far as the roll bar idea, look at that blue 2nd gen that was at gilmer. He had an allpro tube bed, but it did nothing for him when he rolled in the rock garden. The whole roof and a-pillar crushed in towards him, and that was probably a pretty soft roll.
If the cab caved so easily with such a gentile roll, imagine what the outcome would be in a more violent rollover. I figure that guy was lucky. He could have easily been in a situation that would cause a tumble, type of rollover. With no rollbar, in a bad roll, we could be mourning him right now. Instead of dying, he went home, prolly to source another cab to swap on his rig. Better safe than sorry I say.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline  
post #23 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
OldTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: near Memphis, TN
Posts: 366
Michael,
I like the example bed on the blue truck.
How much tube do you figure is in that setup?
Recon we could fab something like that?
It's either something like that or a bed bob.
What'cha' think?
sab

OldTruck38
'86 Toyota 4x4 IFS pickup - faded black, Lincoln locked
31" LTB's, Smittybilt 8K winch, Faber Fab slider & front bumper

'72 Toyota FJ40 - sky blue - stock

http://community.webshots.com/user/oldtruck38


TLCA - 17570
Blue Rib Col - 51402
OldTruck is offline  
post #24 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member
 
swimmerzack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mesquite, texas
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.




I like both of these ideas and they offer roll protectio and Mike there is that red one i sent you with tube on the cab
swimmerzack is offline  
post #25 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
 
gittinit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Paragould, AR
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTruck View Post
Michael,
I like the example bed on the blue truck.
How much tube do you figure is in that setup?
Recon we could fab something like that?
It's either something like that or a bed bob.
What'cha' think?
sab
Whatever ya want to do Stacy . bed bobs are cheaper, but take body work to make em look good. I fo you stacy I recommend a bed bob and spend your $ on either the doubler, or tcase gears. I bet I know a college Kid (Jordan) who might be interested in your bed for his 4runner bob. The blue bed prolly has min 3 sticks of tube...possibly more like 4 if the bed crosmembers were tube as well. I would use some angle, or square for the bed floor though...heck I would use some expanded metal for the floor, so i could rinse it out easily.

Hey Stacy wanna make a road trip with me friday? I havta go to AL. 5.5 hr drive, each way...Bla!

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
gittinit is offline  
post #26 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
I completely agree thats why i recommended something like this for him, when he told me he wanted a flat bed.
hey I like that, only make the bed narrow all the way up with room for a jerry can in front of the rear tire, like an old powerwagon, hell i might even want one

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline  
post #27 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,022
Here's is by far the number one best mods you can do:


WHEEL



After that:


READ THE PIRATE FAQ


And then:


LEARN TO DRIVE


Maybe in a different order, but all three are crucial to actually feeling good about what you're doing.

How do I know? I web-wheel lug nuts off parked cars...





Seriously, congrats on gettin' something you can drive. You're money, time, and frustration ahead for not doing the Pre-Runner swap. PM if ya want some web-wheelin' advice.

AR-TTORA Memphis Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader
Jordan7118 is offline  
post #28 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
 
79coyotefrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Arkadelphia AR
Posts: 4,982
he's a good kid, he shouldnt be exposed to those boneheads on Pirate, see how they screwed you up dont ya




AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
79coyotefrg is offline  
post #29 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
ArkieTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central,Ar
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmerzack View Post
thanks pappa Glen.
I'm kinda disturbed......

If you are wanting a flatbed. Check my build thread (don't have good enough internet to post link). I'll possibly sell it.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” ~John Wayne
ArkieTaco is offline  
post #30 of 529 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkieTaco View Post
I'm kinda disturbed......

If you are wanting a flatbed. Check my build thread (don't have good enough internet to post link). I'll possibly sell it.
Still thinking about going to a 4runner?
domino is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sierra Expedition's White Tacoma Build flyingwil Expedition Builds 84 06-29-2016 06:27 PM
WTB:02-04 White TRD x-cab V6 5-spd DRock Vehicles/Trailers 6 04-05-2008 03:21 PM
White Muzzeloader / White Bullets StugGuts Wanted 3 11-29-2007 12:05 PM
FS: PIAA Xtreme White H3's ($45) and Xtreme White Plus 9004's ($50) tsunami982 Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 25 10-04-2005 06:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome