A must have for trail repairs. - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation A must have for trail repairs.

I found this on a Death Valley Message board and it sounds like a good thing to have in your trail tool box.

"Tonight I met a desert rat who just returned from saline. Paul(from Fountain Valley) gave me a tour of his 1970 Bronco and I noticed that several parts under the hood were wrapped with some sort of black tape. Both the radiator and the lower hose were taped as a roadside repair and the forward springs were also taped. He also reports that the exhaust has been taped. He did these repairs over a year ago! And he has traveled back to the valley 5 times since. He also reports that he has taped sidewall punctures and got to Pahrump without losing air."

This stuff is "Duluth Extreme tape". It is a military designed and silicon based for repairs of anything-vehicle or household. It is designed to withstand 500 degrees and remains flexible to -60 degrees.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/96825.asp

2008 Trail Teams FJ Cruiser

SOLD - 2003 X-Cab V6 4x4 TRD
Badland's Rock Sliders\OME 881 & N91S's\M/T Classic II's\BFG AT KO's\
4Runner Seats\Hella 500's
\Line-X\

“Give them nothing! But take from them everything!”
Leonidas, 300

Last edited by Angry Andy; 08-26-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: link fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Keyser Soze

If it only sticks to itself as described in the page linked, how can you repair sidewall punctures?

-Rob

Slightly Modified 2001 Tacoma - WATRD.COM
Washington|Oregon|Idaho|B.C. and beyond -
Northwest Toys
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer
TTORA Member Number WA-2001-00172

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: Toyota Tech Search
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATRD
If it only sticks to itself as described in the page linked, how can you repair sidewall punctures?
Who knows? Maybe he jacked it up and wrapped it all the way around the wheel and tire. You tend to get really creative when stranded in the desert. I don't know about counting on it to fix sidewalls but it sounds good for most everything else.

2008 Trail Teams FJ Cruiser

SOLD - 2003 X-Cab V6 4x4 TRD
Badland's Rock Sliders\OME 881 & N91S's\M/T Classic II's\BFG AT KO's\
4Runner Seats\Hella 500's
\Line-X\

“Give them nothing! But take from them everything!”
Leonidas, 300
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to flyingwil
I'll stick to my good old aircraft speed tape.

-Wil
Sierra Expeditions
The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.

My build up thread
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Keyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaTaco
Who knows? Maybe he jacked it up and wrapped it all the way around the wheel and tire. You tend to get really creative when stranded in the desert. I don't know about counting on it to fix sidewalls but it sounds good for most everything else.
hahahha I was wondering about that but I have to agree, if it works as well as the page says for everything else, it might be handy to have around.

-Rob

Slightly Modified 2001 Tacoma - WATRD.COM
Washington|Oregon|Idaho|B.C. and beyond -
Northwest Toys
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer
TTORA Member Number WA-2001-00172

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: Toyota Tech Search
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to flyingwil
Quote:
I found this on a Death Valley Message board and it sounds like a good thing to have in your trail tool box.

"Tonight I met a desert rat who just returned from saline. Paul(from Fountain Valley) gave me a tour of his 1970 Bronco and I noticed that several parts under the hood were wrapped with some sort of black tape. Both the radiator and the lower hose were taped as a roadside repair and the forward springs were also taped. He also reports that the exhaust has been taped. He did these repairs over a year ago! And he has traveled back to the valley 5 times since. He also reports that he has taped sidewall punctures and got to Pahrump without losing air."

This stuff is "Duluth Extreme tape". It is a military designed and silicon based for repairs of anything-vehicle or household. It is designed to withstand 500 degrees and remains flexible to -60 degrees.

This is also available at Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...art=SUM-891010

and here is the company's website too:
http://vypar.mocap.com/xtreme-tape.asp

-Wil
Sierra Expeditions
The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.

My build up thread
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to James Send a message via Yahoo to James Send a message via Skype™ to James
We use it in the Air Force known as F4 tape and its ok but again sidewalls would be interesting.

2004 Tacoma SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6
OME 880's and 5100's all the way around
BFG AT's 265/75/16

2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4WD
Garmin GPSmap 60CS, Cobra 18 WX ST II Mobile CB with 108" Steel Whip
Demello Hybrid Wrap Around Rear Bumper & HD Bolt on Sliders
DR Ext. Length Coilovers with TC A-arms, 9 Pack of Deaver Springs and DR Rear Shocks
BudBuilt IFS Skid plate & SkidRow Transfercase Skid Plate

^SOLD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 AM
The Un-people person

I don't see anyway to get F4 tape to patch a sidewall unless he used it as a plug. F4 tape is thicker than most tapes and real rubbery. It would make a decent plug. It is real great for protecting wires and other lines from chaffing.

1998 SR5 TeRD 4x4, Front Pro Rock D60 w/ Dedenbear kingpin and ARB locker, Rear 35 spline D60, locked, rear disks, 4.7 crawlbox, 40" Swamper LTB's, 17" Stazworks double beadlocks, 9000# T-Max comp winch etc...

My other SAC

My out of date Website under construction

For those of you interested in Throttle body spacers:
Click here
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 09:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to mantlebaum Send a message via Yahoo to mantlebaum
I am an aircraft mechanic in the army. We use this stuff on aircraft engine electrical connectors to weatherproof them. Only difference is the color. It works really well though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikerox
i have been carrying that stuff for years. never had to do the emergeny repairs with it but my trailer hoockup is wraped with it. we used it in the navy when i was working on SH60's. i kept a couple rolls for myself. but it would never stick to a tire. definately wirth spending the cash to have couple rolls. 90 mile hour tape works for most things, but this will work for some things 90 mile hour tape wont work for.

04 DC TRD: THE ROLLED TACO
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 PM

I've been using that for years bundling cables and such in test vehicles (missiles ) I design and build. Works great but I also ? the sidewall patch. I still like my mach tape. Good info though. Never thought about having some around which could only help.

Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.

2002 Toyota Tacoma, V6 4x4 w/ TRD
All-Pro coilovers, upper control arms and rear leafs, Bilstein 5125's (170/60), 32" Yokohama Geolander AT + II's
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to hammerdown
Quote:
you can buy this crap at walmart for like 3 bucks. look in the paint section where the tape selection is. made by duck brand i think. same material, super cheap. im mean cummon... its walmart.

hammer down,
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Don't think too hard, just follow the damned instructions.
ca4wd#9730
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 AM

ill have to get some of that. it sounds like it would be useful for many different things. i dont know how good it would work to patch the inside of a tire. you would have to break the bead around the rim. i work on tires and i dont know how to do that without a machine.

85 pickup TSLs, 5.29 gears, mile marker winch, rear lockright, custom snorkel
03 f250 superduty 6.0 powerstroke sct tuner,s&b cold air intake, 7in single smoker exhaust stack
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to RickerRicker19 Send a message via MSN to RickerRicker19
90mph tape rules......I have fixed everything with that. Another great thing to have is 550 cord. I've actually used it to hold about 200lbs easy. Anything you want to tie together 550 cord is the shit you want.

Semper Fidelis
1998 4cyl 5spd 4 Runner
1982 mini 4x4
Slowly learning one repair at a time
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Home Grown Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85pickup4X4 View Post
you would have to break the bead around the rim. i work on tires and i dont know how to do that without a machine.
you can do it with a high lift and a truck, you can also reseat a bead with ether or starting fluid, co2 is a little safer though

TBH IE division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Did you read any part of the reply that just took me 10 mins to search for and write?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
I know I hate having to poke my wire into such a tight hole...
mike
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:45 PM

i have seen this story before and in a dirty dust enviroment i call BS because i have tested it myself, i am a jet mech in the AF and we use that stuff for engines T-700's (they go on the H-60's) it works great for us when we put it on in a clean shop or even flight line. but i have covered cable splices in my truck with it and it usally will end up pealling it self up after a few times out wheelin, even a little dust on it will dramaticlly reduce its ability to stick to its self

so unless the guy had a bottle of alcohol it wasn't sticking to his tires.

also the military uses atleast 2 diffrant types that i know of black, and orange and from what i remember from the last time i reserched the orange will hold up to warmer temps

it costs the US mint 1.7 cents to create one penny so a penny for your thoughts costs the government almost 2
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Let me get this straight, the Bronco guy used it for an emergency trail repair, then never replaced the parts? That sounds real smart...

BTW I tried that stuff on a leaky PVC pipe in my sprinkler system and it didn't work because I couldn't get it dry enough. I agree with the guy above, that it has to be applied to a perfectly clean and dry surface, and probably wouldnt work that well out on the trail. But its cant hurt to carry it.

CURRENT '97 4Runner Limited 4wd, rear diff locker, Donahoe 2.5" Coilovers, FJ80 rear springs cut down, AIRAID MIT

SOLD '01 TRD extended cab, 285/75/16 MT/R, 4Runner wheels, Camburg Long Travel w/ SAW's, 63" Chevy's with frenched hangers, TG U-bolt flip, Bilstein 12" 7100 shortbody, TG e-locker guard, Hella 4000's, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, Hanneman fenders, Glassworks bedsides

http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/NTAPHSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode