TTORA Forum banner

Dash Rattle SOLVED, REALLY, NO JOKE

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
This is for the early Tacoma's, the 97-2000 are the main ones I think, but most of them had the problem with extreme dash noise. Over the past 7 years I have shoved just about anything you can think of between the dash and windshield. Yea, it works, for about 2 months. For some reason the noise would slowly return, and I would have to re-do my shove technique. Well today I had absolutely nothing to do (first time in a LONG time). So, I tore my entire dash off and searched for about 2 hours to find the REAL problem once and for all, and I found it. This might take some time, but I can tell you it is worth it. If someone has posted this before, Im sorry. I searched and never did see this fix. I will began to explain what is causing this. The defrost setup that meets the windshield and dash is not attached to the dash very well. Once you tear into it, and get some light in there you can see that there is a very small gap. When the truck is vibrating due to driving, these two item quickly tap one another. When you wedge or push on the dash it goes away because it makes good contact. However the wedge technique seemed to get weak over time and it would always began again. Look at the pictures and if you have any questions let me know. It is fairly self explanatory, and really easy to see if you tear into the dash. Hope this helps someone. Also, the foam stuff was bought at Lowes.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
jhunter said:
This is for the early Tacoma's, the 97-2000 are the main ones I think, but most of them had the problem with extreme dash noise. Over the past 7 years I have shoved just about anything you can think of between the dash and windshield. Yea, it works, for about 2 months. For some reason the noise would slowly return, and I would have to re-do my shove technique. Well today I had absolutely nothing to do (first time in a LONG time). So, I tore my entire dash off and searched for about 2 hours to find the REAL problem once and for all, and I found it. This might take some time, but I can tell you it is worth it. If someone has posted this before, Im sorry. I searched and never did see this fix. I will began to explain what is causing this. The defrost setup that meets the windshield and dash is not attached to the dash very well. Once you tear into it, and get some light in there you can see that there is a very small gap. When the truck is vibrating due to driving, these two item quickly tap one another. When you wedge or push on the dash it goes away because it makes good contact. However the wedge technique seemed to get weak over time and it would always began again. Look at the pictures and if you have any questions let me know. It is fairly self explanatory, and really easy to see if you tear into the dash. Hope this helps someone. Also, the foam stuff was bought at Lowes.
bad link on one pic :confused:

so, what exactly did you do?

#4 ·
jhunter said:
Try it again, they work for me. I might have been changing them when you tried. What I did was fix it!! After all this time.. :mad: If you can bring up the 2nd picture, you will see what I did, I put the foam where it needed to be all along.
much better ;)

how hard was it to get the dash appart?
the CT writeup only covers removing the instrument cluster and not the entire dash.

#5 ·
hytenor said:
much better ;)

how hard was it to get the dash appart?
the CT writeup only covers removing the instrument cluster and not the entire dash.

Yea, those stereo installing guys.. :rolleyes: . To be honest with you, the rest is a little more difficult, but not too bad. Also, if you do not mind taking a small chance you can get to almost the entire thing by just following CT's instructions. You will also have to sport some small hands because it gets tight. Mine were able to get in there, but I did get some cuts. I began to worry that I would miss a spot and went ahead and took the rest off and got it all. If yours seems to be comming from the center of the dash, you might be able to just get what you can get without taking it all off. I would give it a try if that is the case. You will be able to get about 80% of it foamed up. Also, when you get it apart, I went ahead and put a piece behind the AC vent that is in the center. That thing was sort of loose feeling. It firmed it up when I added the foam. CT does not explain very well, but make sure to disconnect all items before jerking the pieces out. Like the power button, hazards, dimmer, AC button, ECT button. It is simple, but takes some time, patience, and organization.

#6 ·
So tell me, how difficult was it to remove the dash assembly, I'm looking to remove mine for a behind the dash roll cage..Thanks

#7 ·
TacoCrazy said:
So tell me, how difficult was it to remove the dash assembly, I'm looking to remove mine for a behind the dash roll cage..Thanks
Its really not that bad at all, however, depending on where you want to put the roll cage you might have to remove more than I did. Would you not go all the way to the frame with it? If so, you will have to take out a lot of other stuff to make room. As for the dash it took about 1 hour to take out, and 20 minites to put back in. Took so long to take out because I was making sure to keep screws and bolts in order.

#8 ·
jhunter said:
This is the same thing the dealer is supposed to do for those who come in complaining about the dashrattle. I saw these steps on a TSB.

#10 ·
Bnorm said:
This is the same thing the dealer is supposed to do for those who come in complaining about the dashrattle. I saw these steps on a TSB.
wow, that is for the 01-04 Tacomas. I was mad thinking I had missed out, but it was not even for my truck. I didnt realize these trucks had the problem too. The 02 that we had did not have this problem, even after 105K It is close to what I did, however I did not put anything on the defroster mounting posts. I did not even want to try to get that thing out. Also, this fix was very easy really. Just took some time. If it does come back, I might try this. I really think it is fixed for good now. I went to the river today and was on dirt roads all day, and it never happened. Other times it would as soon as I drove about 2 miles on rough roads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.