dash rattle fix - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

dash rattle fix

Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:19 PM

What Taco model are we talking about? I have developed the same problem on mine(2004 DC 4X4 V6).
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Holy cow man I love you! My dash was rattling for 6 fucking YEARS driving me insane, you da man!

2009 4x4 Access Cab, TRD Off-Road, 5-speed Auto

V6, Magnetic Silver Metallic
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:36 PM

I read the post on the warranty fix on the rattle. I have had the rattle come and go twice now. I'm taking it in next week for the dealer repair. I have about 90 miles before my warranty expires. I hope they will work on it - its not rattling right now...

If they wont do anything because its not making noise when I take it in, I'll try one of the foam or tubing fixes like above. It is clearly the dash on the windsheild - it goes away when I press on the the dash up there.

I'll post up the outcome.

Mine is an '04 X-Cab
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Deal Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockdawg
Hello to all, just wanted to share something that helped me fix the notorious tacoma dash rattle. Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone
Did the same thing a while ago - I actually used tygon tubing- ~1/4 OD and it worked like a charm
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:52 PM

I just took a small piece of paper, folded it up several times and shoved in between the dash and windshield. haven't heard a rattle for 6 months! Total cost- $0.00. Can't even see the paper unless you are looking for it. BTW, anyone know what this rattle is from?

Ryan
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 10:41 PM

there are many different causes to the dash rattle(s). I have fixed one, only to have another come up. some are from loose clusters of wires, some are from the brake hardlines hitting the firewall, and some are from misc. pieces of plastic.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM

I took it in today, with 35 miles left on the warranty. They "installed anti rattle foam" (not exacty sure what that is - but the name is on the right track) and found some loose wiring under the instrument panel at sub frame.

so far - on the 10 miles home I did not hear the intermittent (sp) rattle I took it in for. But time will tell.

They were totally cool about it too. If you live in Colorado - I gotta plug Burt Toyota. I have taken my Toyotas there for over 10 years. Quality work.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Sometimes that anti rattle foam are just several latex gloves. I would prefer to use that vinyl. I'm gonna try that out. I hear my dash once in a while. People say its a washer, wires, etc. and the plastic parts of the dash, but if you notice that when you push the dash down there is no more rattle. So I'm guessing the vinyl is your solution.
Thanx great idea
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Home Grown Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1noobie
Thats good but my dash rattles on the pasenger airbag. I dont want to shove something in there just to have it fly out and nail the pasenger when the airbag is deployed. (01 D-cab)

Any solutions?

Jesse
more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together

i used a folded up napkin to fix mine, gonna look into this though since i can totally see the napkin sticking out lol

TBH IE division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Did you read any part of the reply that just took me 10 mins to search for and write?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
I know I hate having to poke my wire into such a tight hole...
mike
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 07:21 PM

Correct, just push the dash down on the right side and you'll hear the rattle stop.

Last edited by eLN_No; 03-09-2005 at 10:25 PM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Stinks like fish

IF you can stop the rattle with applied pressure it's simple enough. Shim that dash up so it doesn't move. Mine has had several rattles that I chased down..

The 2001 I had before the 2002 didn't rattle, but what the hell, It's only noise.

I wonder if my old Taco is more Taco or more rust by now.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabnor
more than likley doing this will fix your rattle too, and its totally safe. its not near the airbag at all, its up where the windsheild and dash come together
Just thought it was from the air bag cause when I push down on it the rattle stops. I'll try the windshield thing though.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:16 PM

well - the dealer fix lasted about 150 miles. now a couple new onse showed up in new places. Tracked on to a white tube or cable houseing near the gas pedal - pretty sure that was the worst of them. I am going to install some tubingon the dash, as that one still happens on big road bumps.

The instrucions here were great for taking the dash apart. Check it out if you want to go ona seek and destoy mission.http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde...x_v2&id=77&c=6

Rattles drive me insane!!!

Last edited by hdave_CO; 03-09-2005 at 07:20 PM.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 AM

There are several spots that the dash rattled in my 2002. I had the dealer perform the TSB fixes and have not had a problem since. It was always worse in the winter. If it was fixed under warranty then they should cover a refix if you want to deal with them again.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Yeah thanks for the fix guys, mine also sounded like it was coming from the airbag so I stuffed a small strip of foam around the passenger airbag- didnt work. I then tried what was recommended here, but I used a 7.00 roll of 3M weather stripping I got from the autoparts store. Sounds like a toyota now. No squeak, I cant believe how much better the cabin sounds.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 05:50 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.

2000, 4x4, 2.7, Kennesaw bumper, Warn 9000i winch, manual hubs, TRD rear, 265x75x16 BFG AT's.

Gary
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarre
Just installed it, work great and looks better than the pieces of rubber I had stuffed in there before.
My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

2000, 4x4, 2.7, Kennesaw bumper, Warn 9000i winch, manual hubs, TRD rear, 265x75x16 BFG AT's.

Gary
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarre
My rattle has returned. After a couple days in the hot California sun the vinyl flattened out and now fits loosely between the windshield and the dash.
I'm going to look for something similar but with less chance of changing shape, maybe something in solid rubber, like some kind of rubber trim.

well, i've run around town looking for 1/4" black vinyl tubing but no one here carries it in black, so i went with heavy duty black spline for screen windows (not the foam stuff). the hardware store had some 3/8" rubber stuff that works pretty well. but its still pretty cold around here so i dont know how it will work for you.

Stock 2004 XCab 4x4 TRD V6 Auto
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up Pipe insulation works too

Quote:
Went to Lowe's and picked up some black vinyl tubing part number 26594. Got 6 feet of it cut just to be safe, shoved in between my dash and the windshield and now no more rattle. I saw where alot of other guys had taken foam or shoved just about anything in there, but if you want a clean look this is a great option, it looks like it ought to be there, like it was going around the windshield. Plus it's cheap, was only $1.08. Hope this helps someone
I went to our local hardware store, picked up some black foam water pipe insulation. The stuff you would use in your house to cover your water pipes. I got a 6' piece for $0.74 CDN. I cut out a strip about 1/2" wide and the foam is about 3/8" thick and put it between the windshield and the dash. It worked great and like you said, it looks like it ought to be there.
Thanks for the tip!
Cheers ,
P

1999 Canadian Tacoma with a few goodies.
Pics here !
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is a TSB on the dash rattle for 01-04 Tacomas, guess if you were out of warranty you could fix it yourself:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...dashrattle.htm

Peter Parks
01 Tacoma DC
Tacoma Mods and Write-Ups, trip reports and more at www.parksoffroad.com
Don't PM me, just drop me an e-mail! pete at parksoffroad.com!
DONT CLICK HERE!!
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TacoDude
Holy cow man I love you! My dash was rattling for 6 fucking YEARS driving me insane, you da man!
6 YEARS? That's brutal. My truck is the love of my life, but if it had done that, I'd a shot it.

Toyguy

The ever-rare reg cab 3.4L
4" procomp lift
2" downey lift
rear ARB
5.29 yukons
4340 chrome moly's
K & N
33" G/Y mt's
10" eagle alloys
PIAA 520's
CO2
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:00 PM

Well, as I drove for about 45 minutes today, a intermittent rattle returned. I sounds like its behind the temp adjustment or that region. I have had the dash off and wrapped and tied down everything I could find. Anyone have the same problem? The noise is nearly constant while on the highway, like a constant vibration.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 AM

I believe there is a rattle in one of the temp knobs, I may be wrong.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 01:19 PM

Oh yeah! Pretty sure I isolated the rattle that has eluded my efforts - hope this helps someone elsa gain a piece of sanity.

The dash molding rubbed on the bottom of the radio, or some other plastic down there. I pulled the ash tray and grabbed the lip below the radio and wiggled - and there it was - the intermittent rattle that will go non stop on the highway for hours at a time then vanish.

So I pulled the dash molding, and on the bottom lip of the hole for the radio, I lined it with electrical tape, 2 layers to be sure it was snug. Fixed!!! Hopefully that will be it for a while.

Hope this is good for someone else. This was the one the dealer didnt fine either. I am sure it was quiet when they drove around.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to jekyllnhyde858
i just turn my music up really loud and the rattle goes away

02 prerunner v6, K&N FIPK II intake, magnaflow exhaust, fox 3.5 performance coilovers, BFG AT KO 265/75 16 on american racing mojaves, JL 12" sub with infinity 300 watt amp, tint, grill.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Oh my god. I didnt realise this was a known problem and it was driving me up the wall. Driving to school a half hour every morning all tired and grumpy, only to have to listen to the rattle was enough to make me swerve for a telephone pole.

Tomorrow I am calling the dealership and getting them to fix it. If the cant/wont I will go with the tubing fix. Thanks!

Current
2004 V6 Extended Cab Auto

Sold and Missed
2008 V6 Extended Cab 6-SPD
2003 V6 Extended Cab 5-SPD

Custom stereo and hidden 10" sub
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Mez

Send a message via AIM to Mez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllnhyde858
ditto

96 Extra Cab 4x4 2.7l

post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllnhyde858
LMAO- I've done the same with every vehicle ive owned- shit starts rattling in the cab- Volume increases... But i suppose now i have my newer tacoma I can start "fixing" noises insteaded of ignoring them Thanks for the tips!

-Mike

D44 SAS '01 xtra cab 2.7 5spd -35MTRs -4.88s Locked front & rear
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode