TTORA Forum banner

The Trifecta - May 14, 2016

4K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Rocksurfer 
#1 ·
TTORA SO-CAL
presents​

The Trifecta

Cleghorn Trail(2N47) starts directly off the I-15 just before the 138. This trail has many bypasses that loop back onto the main road. You can pick and choose your battles along the way. It's GREAT for beginners and a good "brush-up" for veterans.
File:Cleghornmap.jpg - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Pilot Rock Truck Trail(2N33) is the stock friendly trail that runs from Silverwood Lake to Lake Arrowhead. This trail plays very much like Cleghorn. It's also great for beginners and veterans alike. This run, however, will be focused on the 2N17X split off this trail. This is a difficult trail which requires sliders/skids and a minimum of 1 locker. There are several steep climbs with a couple sections of rock crawling. If you have yet to test your rig's capabilities, this is the trail to do it on!
File:pilot.jpg - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Dishpan Springs Trail(3N34), also known as Deep Creek Trail, is a moderate trail with a couple difficult sections. This trail requires a minimum of a moderate lift, 33" tires, sliders/skids and 1 locker. Body damage to a stock rig is very likely. This trail starts by Lake Arrowhead and drops you off in Big Bear. If you're not sure of your driving abilities, it's not recommended you attend this length of the run.
Dishpan Springs Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

This has been a SoCal staple for years! Check it out!

Local Sevices: The exit just north of Cleghorn road, HWY 138, leads you to several gas stations and fast food places. Chevron, Shell, McDonald's, Del Taco, Subway and Circle K are your choices. Please fuel up and grab anything else you may need prior to the meet time.

The meet point will be on the west side of the I-15 off the Cleghorn Rd. exit at 9am. If you're going northbound on the I-15, exit Cleghorn Rd., make a left at the stop sign and you'll see the staging area on the other side of the freeway. If you're going southbound, exit Cleghorn Rd. and you'll see us at the end of the offramp. If you plan on running all 3 trails with us, please be very prompt as this will take the entire day!​

See less See more
#13 ·
Thanks for the info. I can always do the first two and scope out the third. I definitely agree with the driver's skills. I'm trying to see how an extra 0.5" of clearance will help with 33s over 32s but I'm trusting you. I really want to join you guys soon. My friend Ken has gone with you a few times now and he's told how knowledgeable you all are so I'd like to enhance my skills. I've done the first two trails 3x now with a stock truck, OEM tires, and no sliders and had no issues but Dishpan looks like a different animal. I just did Mengel Pass in Death Valley and had no issues except for the naked men down in the hot springs. That was scary.

#23 ·
Seems like this was kind of an interesting angle. Gonna miss you this year.

#25 ·
You can always go around X and meet us at the exit. There is another trail as you turn away from the lake that you could try out along the way to the right of the main trail. It is mildly difficult except for one section that you can bypass. It is a long hill climb with a notch halfway up. I'd even be willing to forgo X and lead a group on that trail if needed.

#26 ·
I have been on both trails a bunch of times and would not be too afraid of doing X in my 4R, but the family would maybe not enjoy the skinny pedal on the gatekeeper...maybe I will talk them in to going around solo. That isn't a hard trail at all, and we could split after Pilot and go to Arrowhead for the pizza place.

#28 ·
Pending the condition of certain obstacles, Cleghorn might be just a walk through until the the last section. The recent weather might have filled in some of the ruts that force your rig into the side of the hill. When we did a night run here last October, we had to skip a few due to that. The plan is still to start at Cleghorn, though.

In my opinion, Darren, 2N33 is more scenic. But, like you said, you know what to expect. Hell, you've probably been through those trails more than I have. We missed you at Chariot Mountain. No repairs this time. . . . just mud holes.

#30 ·
Yeah I have the tires, but not the protection yet. Sliders are next....they make me feel safer against the walls. Yeah I was bummed about not going to Chariot but that was pre-tires and the street tires were at the lower indicator lines and I didn't feel like pushing them. I really think I will get out to Miller though. I know the 4R will make it through that.

#36 ·
I haven't been to Cleghorn in about a year. A lot of the side trails were starting to be blocked for restoration. How is it now?
There are some obstacles that have been blocked but reckless drivers are just mowing them down or finding a way around them. Cleghorn is still a fun trail for the novice driver, though. There will still be plenty of stuff for us to do.

To all:

Please be punctual. The earlier we start off on Cleg, the better chance we have of finishing Dishpan in the daylight. After Cleg, we'll take a short lunch in the staging lot for Pilot Rock. There are a few variables that dictate how much time we spend on Cleg (group size, experience, trail conditions) but it takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to complete. So if you plan on joining the group after lunch, that should give you an idea of when to be at the staging area.

It's going to be warm during the day. Pack more than enough water. But also bring some layers and a flashlight. You just never know what's going to happen on Dishpan.

If you plan on joining us for Dishpan, you must bring recovery gear. Depending on conditions, it can be a serious trail and you need to be prepared.

See you all in the morning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.