TTORA Forum banner

Corral Canyon - Sept. 10, 2016

8K views 61 replies 14 participants last post by  usmcgunrock 
#1 ·
TTORA SO-CAL

presents

Corral Canyon

The Corral Canyon OHV Area is located near the town of Pine Valley. Within this area, the Corral Canyon and Bobcat Meadows campgrounds give you access to over 51 miles of OHV trails. These trails, which run across the Cleveland National Forest, offer you a mix of awesome scenery and test of skills. This place has a beauty of its own and is a big draw with visitors to the Cleveland National Forest. Your drive through the Corral Canyon Open OHV Area will offer many scenic views of the valley below. The main attraction trails in Corral Canyon include Bronco Peak, Bronco Peak Connector, Gunslinger, and Sidewinder.

As the trails vary in elevation it offers a lot of adventure to beginners as well as seasoned wheelers. The terrain offers many surprises and driving around in a laid back manner is not recommended. Be alert for oncoming vehicles at all times. If you haven't had to chance to put some racing stripes on your truck, Corral Canyon will do that for you.

Bronco Peak
This is a very technical four-wheel drive trail. Oversize tires and a lift are recommended. There is a possibility of damage to full size trucks. Short wheelbase vehicles are preferred, but light trucks can make it through with no damage as well.

Connector
This is a difficult trail in the Corral Canyon OHV area. It can be started at the campground, going through to Bronco Peak or run downhill from Bronco Peak to the campground. Oversize tires and a lift are required, with lockers required if running it uphill. Sliders are highly reccomended to avoid damage. The main feature is the steep wedge. If not done carefully, it can end up in a rollover. There are a few other off-camber situations and difficult terrain.

Sidewinder
This is a moderate trail in the Corral Canyon OHV area. There are several steep rock climbs and sharp dropoffs that make up most of the challenge. The trail is a good warmup for Bronco Peak and the connector. Body damage is unlikely.

Minimum Requirements:
Perimeter Roads- 4WD

Sidewinder/Bronco Peak- 32s, 1 locker(recommended), sliders and armor

Gunslinger- 33s, 1 locker, sliders and armor

Connector- 35s, locked f/r, sliders and armor

Meet Point:
Four Corners

Go east on I8 about 30 miles to Buckman Springs Road (Exit 51). Go south on Buckman Springs Road about 3.25 miles. You will pass Mountain Empire High School on your left and a Forest Service facility on your right. Shortly after passing the Forest Service facility there will be a right turn with signs for Corral Canyon OHV area. Take the right at Morena Stokes Valley Rd. and proceed past the military base. Continue a couple of miles up the mountain toward the fire lookout tower. As you reach a saddle of the mountain you will see the 4 Corners Parking area of Corral Canyon OHV Park.

N32 43.468 W116 33.552

Meet Time:
9:30am

See less See more
#3 ·
In case some people didn't know, I've sold the Tacoma and got myself a 1994 Landcruiser. She's all stock but we'll be making this one for her maiden voyage! I'll be leading an easy run around the perimeter road and up to visit the fire watch. It'll be nice to put some dirt under my feet again.

P.S.- If you appreciate the shout out in the event post, "like" it!

#9 ·
#16 ·
Count me in. I don't think my rig can do Gunslinger but the other two trails sound doable. Are you doing an overnight trip? I'd be willing to spend the night and run the easy perimeter trail on Sunday. I heard the trail that follows the Espinosa Trail is a moderate one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Count me in. I don't think my rig can do Gunslinger but the other two trails sound doable. Are you doing an overnight trip? I'd be willing to spend the night and run the easy perimeter trail on Sunday. I heard the trail that follows the Espinosa Trail is a moderate one too.
My cruiser is still stock. So, I'm sticking to the perimeter road and anything easy. Dawson might have other plans but it would be something difficult. This is just a day run for me. I won't be camping.

#21 ·
I don't think I know anyone on here and have not done any of your guys meets. But I would be up for going next weekend. Me and my brother did a quick 4 hour run yesterday out there. Very quite not a lot of people. It was my first time and my limiting factor is I had a 4 seat rzr 800 with me. I did the sky valley all the way to los pinos to 4 corners. There was only one section that got interesting. I also did gunslinger to peacemaker to scout to gunslinger. Gunslinger was easy, or at least the small section of it that I did was. Peacemaker and scout were a lot more technical. I made it through in my truck with a spotter no problem. Took a few hours though. I have a 03 double cab Tacoma TRD with suspension mods and larger tires. My brother was going to take his 2000 4runner out it is running stock size tires, elocker, wore out icon suspension, and armored up.

Scout

Peacemaker

#29 ·
He was just being dramatic.

The list has been updated. Please take note of the requirements/suggestions for your rig and make the best decision on which set of trails you'd be suited for. For instance, I have a stock 1994 Landcruiser and I know I'm best suited just to stay on the easy to moderate trails. I may have front and rear lockers but tires and clearance are what's going to help me over difficult obstacles.

I'm excited for this run. It'll be the first time my daughter will be with us on the dirt. I hope she grows to enjoy it as much as we do. So that being said, if anyone chooses to join me for the easy stuff, we'll be stopping and hiking around a bit here and there.

#30 ·
I just ordered my sliders from Demello but I won't get them until mid October, is id advisable to go through the the easy/medium run without body damage? Otherwise I'll just do the easy perimeter run. I do have a baja tube front bumper and 33's.

#37 ·
A friend just got a brand new Tacoma. 2017 DCLB TRD Off Road with paper plates. No lift. Stock tires, like 31's I believe. Told him I'd take him out but don't want to have him drive all the way down there to either damage or just cruise around while I'm out wheeling. Thoughts?

#48 ·
Jacumba Mtns and Valley of the Moon on Sunday?

Since I'm camping on Saturday night, I'm thinking about heading over to the Jacumba Mtns, Smuggler's Cave, Elliott Mine, and Valley of the Moon on Sunday morning. It's about 35-40 mins away on pavement (east of Corral Canyon) to the In-Koh-Pah exit for the Valley of the Moon trail. The trails look like something up TTORA's alley. There's also the Desert Tower and Boulder Park near by that I want to check out on pavement (just north of In-Koh-Pah exit). If no one wants to go, I'll only head over to the Tower and Boulder Park as I don't want to be on the trails by myself.

Marc

I stole the following pictures off of Expedition Portal that some group did in 2011.

Long fence along the way to Jacumba Mtns

Valley of the Moon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.