TTORA Forum banner

Calico - April 1/2, 2017

4K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  ken_727 
#1 ·
SoCal TTORA
in
CALICO

Our annual Calico event is coming up on April 1st & 2nd, 2017. We will have people camping out starting Friday night through Sunday. Most of the runs will be on Saturday with optional run(s) on Sunday as well.

Calico was a booming silver mining town in the 1880's. In it's heyday, it had over 500 operating mines. The decreasing value of silver led to it's demise by the turn of the century. Most of the trails/roads we use for our runs were established routes for accessing the mines and removing the ore. Many mines are still accessible but please use caution.

Vehicle minimum requirements for the hard runs (Doran and Odessa):
33" tires
one locker
sliders
spare

Vehicle minimum requirements for the easy run (Philips Loop, Mule Canyon, Wall Street Overlook, Early Man Site):
31" tires
sliders
spare

Run schedule (subject to change based on vehicle count) follows-

Run #1 - Doran / Saturday 9am
Run #2 - Odessa / Saturday 9am
Run #3 - Phillips & Wallstreet / Saturday 9am
Run #4 - Doran and/or Odessa (loop?) / Sunday 10am

For those of you who haven't been before check out some pics from the previous years.

2016 Pics
2015 Pics
2014 Pics
2013 Pics
2012 Pics

The main group camping spot will be the same as last year. Pawn found a nice spot on Phillips Loop Road just off to the left of Mule Canyon Road. (about 1mi from pavement - Ghost Town Road) The camping location is on BLM land, so no camping permits or fees are required. This is dry camping with no facilities (5mi drive to town), so bring what you need. Pack it in, pack it out!

GPS coords N34 56.555 W116 50.505
Google Map

Communications- CB 31 / Ham 144.450 for car to car

Trail Preparedness List

:camping:BRING FIREWOOD:camping:​

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm in. I might show up Friday night. Not sure yet. I'll definitely stay for Saturday night.

Already got 6 40oz bottles ready to go. :flamethro

Also, bring your guns. We'll setup a shooting gallery on Saturday afternoon for those that want to shoot some guns. :woot: :xusflag:

#11 ·
We'll bring the guns and we're in. This is one of the funnest runs of the year and :flamethro

Reactions: Dawson 5
#13 ·
I had a little scare concerning my shocks. I should be back on track now. I ended up having to order from 3 different vendors to make it happen. Extended the breathers today but still need to bleed the brakes and do an alignment. I have the day off on the Friday before just to make sure everything is set. Got the tires mounted up today, too. Things are starting to look sexy!

#20 ·
dang, the yuppies in SF pay ridiculous prices for those wooden cable spool rounds, LOL. I see them in some of the artsy fartsy shops on Hayes St. :p

make them into tables and head north :xsmokin1:

I still like the wider mouth bottles for bombs :D

#30 ·
SoCal TTORA

in

CALICO

Our annual Calico event is coming up on April 1st & 2nd, 2017. We will have people camping out starting Friday night through Sunday. Most of the runs will be on Saturday with optional run(s) on Sunday as well.

Calico was a booming silver mining town in the 1880's. In it's heyday, it had over 500 operating mines. The decreasing value of silver led to it's demise by the turn of the century. Most of the trails/roads we use for our runs were established routes for accessing the mines and removing the ore. Many mines are still accessible but please use caution.

Vehicle minimum requirements for the hard runs (Doran and Odessa):

33" tires

one locker

sliders

spare

Vehicle minimum requirements for the easy run (Philips Loop, Mule Canyon, Wall Street Overlook, Early Man Site):

31" tires

sliders

spare

Run schedule (subject to change based on vehicle count) follows-

Run #1 - Doran / Saturday 9am

Run #2 - Odessa / Saturday 9am

Run #3 - Phillips & Wallstreet / Saturday 9am

Run #4 - Doran and/or Odessa (loop?) / Sunday 10am

For those of you who haven't been before check out some pics from the previous years.

2016 Pics

2015 Pics

2014 Pics

2013 Pics

2012 Pics

The main group camping spot will be the same as last year. Pawn found a nice spot on Phillips Loop Road just off to the left of Mule Canyon Road. (about 1mi from pavement - Ghost Town Road) The camping location is on BLM land, so no camping permits or fees are required. This is dry camping with no facilities (5mi drive to town), so bring what you need. Pack it in, pack it out!

GPS coords N34 56.555 W116 50.505

Google Map

Communications- CB 31 / Ham 144.450 for car to car

Trail Preparedness List

:camping:BRING FIREWOOD:camping:​

I'm hoping to finish the truck by Friday night and be there Saturday morning. Fingers crossed. I'm highly considering taking you up on your offer if the truck isn't finished

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.