TTORA Forum banner

FOTR Work Weekend - August 19-20

7K views 133 replies 20 participants last post by  Timstoy 
#1 ·
Alright guys and girls, wanna have some fun on the Rubicon Trail? The focus of this *huge* work weekend will be trail repair and maintenance between Loon Lake and Walker Hill.

I have been asked to lead a group to repair the small log bridge between Ellis Creek and Walker Hill. Work will most likely involve digging, moving rocks, chainsaw work, dragging logs, etc. This is your chance to step up and show that TTORA can get stuff done!

Best bet will be to head up Friday night August 18th and either camp at the Loon Lake trailhead (gatekeeper) or Ellis Creek (a little closer to the work site). Work will start early Saturday morning and shouldn't take too long to get done.

Saturday night Robb's Resort is sporting a free buffet dinner party for all of the FOTR volunteers! It's going to be a good time for sure!

What better way to spend a weekend than wheeling on the Rubicon trail, hanging out with friends and cool people from other clubs, getting some really important work done to help out the trail, and partying when the work is done!

It's not too hard to get to Ellis Creek from Loon Lake. If you have a mild rig that you don't want scratched or dented, we can certainly arrange for you to grab a passenger seat.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns! This is going to be a big weekend for FOTR!

Later,
....Mike

See less See more
#4 ·
Okay, I got my hands on some really long drill bits, a drill, and a generator. Here's a pic of the bridge. Looks like we might be able to dig in a new log on the west side to reinforce the ramp. If things haven't changed too much in the last couple months, it looks like there are some rocks and downed trees really close by that we can use.

Later,
....Mike

#11 ·
PuckerFactor said:
id come but i dont think my rig will make it. :rolleyes:

It's not hard to get to Ellis Creek where we will be staging for the work party.

Later,
....Mike

#14 ·
Reebles said:
Yeppers! I may just come over Thursday after work and crash on the couch again if that is cool..
No problem. This is going to be a fun project, I can't wait!

Later,
....Mike

#16 ·
PuckerFactor said:
well if i can make it to the staging area and catch a ride to the work area/camp :saw: count me in! Later Rob
We are camping and staging at Ellis Creek. If you drove up and down Cadillac Hill you can make it from Loon Lake to Ellis Creek.

We'll probably carpool or hike to the bridge work area since there isn't room to park a bunch of rigs there.

Try to get to Ellis Creek Friday night since we are starting work early Saturday morning. Saturday night Robb's Resort is doing a big dinner party for everyone.

Later,
....Mike

#19 ·
PappaF2 said:
Mike do you know if the dinner at Robbs or are they brining it to the con (loon)? Not that it matters, just curious. :)
The dinner and party are at Robb's. I think there is plenty of room to camp there too, or we could go back to Loon Lake if people wanted.

Later,
....Mike

#20 ·
PuckerFactor said:
sounds like a plan. I just dont know how to get there. Ice house road?
yeah ill be there friday night/evening forsure. Rob
Take Ice House Road and turn right at the fork for Loon Lake. Go across two dams. At the end of the second dam turn left and head down the spillway. After the kiosk head up the slabs, down the other side, and take a right towards the trees. The trail is really well marked with yellow signs in the trees and reflectors on the granite. Follow the trail through the granite bowl and you will eventually come to the intersection where the Wentworth trail meets up. Shortly after this you will hit Ellis Creek.

If you have never been in this way, might want to try to meet up with someone before heading in. I'm leaving Concord at noon that Friday, which should put me at the trailhead by 3 or 4PM. I'm planning on getting to Ellis before dark.

Later,
....Mike

#22 ·
Mike said:
Alright guys and girls, wanna have some fun on the Rubicon Trail? The focus of this *huge* work weekend will be trail repair and maintenance between Loon Lake and Walker Hill.

I have been asked to lead a group to repair the small log bridge between Ellis Creek and Walker Hill. Work will most likely involve digging, moving rocks, chainsaw work, dragging logs, etc. This is your chance to step up and show that TTORA can get stuff done!

Best bet will be to head up Friday night August 18th and either camp at the Loon Lake trailhead (gatekeeper) or Ellis Creek (a little closer to the work site). Work will start early Saturday morning and shouldn't take too long to get done.

Saturday night Robb's Resort is sporting a free buffet dinner party for all of the FOTR volunteers! It's going to be a good time for sure!

What better way to spend a weekend than wheeling on the Rubicon trail, hanging out with friends and cool people from other clubs, getting some really important work done to help out the trail, and partying when the work is done!

It's not too hard to get to Ellis Creek from Loon Lake. If you have a mild rig that you don't want scratched or dented, we can certainly arrange for you to grab a passenger seat.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns! This is going to be a big weekend for FOTR!

Later,
....Mike
sounds like fun but I won't be able to make it :(

#23 ·
bflynn1717 said:
I am pretty sure that the nOObieweds will be there...

Let me know if we need any thing specific I have access to alot of tools. We will meet you guys there and go in on Friday afternoon.
Awesome, this is going to be a really productive weekend!

Later,
....Mike

#24 ·
hytenor said:
sounds like fun but I won't be able to make it :(
That's a bummer, we could really use your chainsaw help! We are getting permission from the county to drop some dead trees for the project!

Later,
....Mike

#25 ·
For everyone who is attending.... make sure you go here and sign up. Don't forget to list TTORA as an affiliation. It's important to get an accurate head count for food, work assignments, etc. If you say you are with TTORA you will end up on the bridge project with me, unless there is another project you would rather work on.

http://www.delalbright.com/Forms/fotr_aug19_06.html

See you there!
....Mike

#26 ·
Mike said:
For everyone who is attending.... make sure you go here and sign up. Don't forget to list TTORA as an affiliation. It's important to get an accurate head count for food, work assignments, etc. If you say you are with TTORA you will end up on the bridge project with me, unless there is another project you would rather work on.

http://www.delalbright.com/Forms/fotr_aug19_06.html

See you there!
....Mike
Cool just signed up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.