TTORA Forum banner

Class 7 2001 Tacoma Build

249K views 878 replies 116 participants last post by  sirhk100 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been working on the truck for about a week now trying to make it a Score legal class 7 race truck. We have been working on the truck itself for over a year, but that was mainly trying to keep the thing running. After many breaks we finally realized that the front driver shock was not working properly and that was the cause of all the problems. But the damage has been done and so now it should become a race truck.

The truck is a 2001 4x4 extended cab tacoma. It has the trd super on it right now, but we'll have to drop that to race score. The front suspension is a tc upper uniball lt kit with 10" 2.5" fox coilovers. And the rear is deavers with 14" 2.5" fox bypasses. The plan for this build is to build a Score legal rollcage, replace the front clip with tubing, redo the front shock mounts to hold 14" 2.5" fox coilovers, and if there is enough money and time left over we might 3 link it. For now we'll leave the front suspension.

The pics are of the truck before starting this build. Hopefully the pics show up. And I'll put up pics of the progress so far when I find a card reader.

See less See more
#2 ·
Quick Q?

Why are you using 10" 2.5 Fox coilovers. I thought the TC kit for you year trucks calls for an 8" coilover?? :confused: I beleive the only TC kit that calls for a 10" c/o is the genII/III kits....did you cut your coil buckets and make new shock hoops?

Good luck with the build!

#4 ·
Yeah that has to be milton...

#6 ·
WTF are you talking about?

You use a dual rate 10" stroke coilover in the SAME LOCATION as the 8" stroke coilover would go. This allows you one more inch out of the kit with or without 4WD. If you're serious about racing it's a pretty good investment, most people wouldn't know the difference. I'd love to see someone try to fit a 14" shock on the TC kit :rofl: sounds totally possible :rolleyes:

#9 ·
wtf is up with ur advitar

#10 ·
Yes guys, its my truck, Socalmoto is my buddy Steve, he's been working on it for a long time now...

Yes, we got rid of the stock coil buckets a long time ago, we're planning on redoing the current hoop set up to fix 14" travel shocks (2wd).

The cage has been finished, well, mostly.

I'll start posting up photos! It'll be more like a story than a build up :rolleyes:

Oh, his avatar is when the unbraced spindle broke. Photos of that day will be included as well!

#14 ·
We're not going to try to use all of the 14" travel shock on the tc kit. Later on we're going to build new control arms and spindles. But for right now Im going to cage the whole front end, and I hate having to keep tearing apart something that I already did to fit new equipment, ie new shocks. So for now Im setting up the 14" shocks so that they wont bottom out with the tc kit, and Im going to strap the front suspension so that I dont over extend the cv's.

Then when later comes around (new suspension) we'll see how much travel we can get out of 4wd. And we'll make the shock mounts on the lower control arm out closer to the tire so that the shock works more effectively and use the full 14" of travel. Or we might just "forget" to put the front diff in and see how much travel we want with 2wd.

#15 ·
I've heard of, but never seen a 14" shock with the TC kit. But, the shock used a shaft from a 10" shock. The top of the coil bucket was cut off and the shock was bolted to the engine cage. Who ever built the truck said it was to take the load off of the stock bucket and also to make the engine cage designe better by not having to drop tubes down to the bucket. I wish I could find pictures to make it clearer, but I can't find them right now.

#16 ·
I dont understand the shaft from a 10" inch shock part, but I do understand bolting it to the engine cage. Thats kind of what I might be doing. We're going to have the shocks mount up to a 2" od tube running out from the cab cage through the fire wall that will drop to the frame just past where the stock shock mount was. There will be an engine cage connecting the driver and passenger side tubes. And the engine cage will be welded to the 2" tubes directly where the shocks mount up. This should keep the tubes from trying to bend in towards each other and keep the frame from flexing anymore.

Does anybody know where to find some adjustable seat sliders for mastercraft proseats? If they even exist.

#21 ·
8/07/2006 Took the bed off (Think this is when I bought a TIG welder)

8/09/2006 Rewelding a hole on the rear shock hoop

8/10/2006 Remounted rear shock tabs at 1:30am

8/13/2006 Had a trailer so we decided to take the truck out on a trailer... = go all out?! :rolleyes:

And what do you know.. 10 mins in the dunes, spindle gives at the drag strip, had to park it at Toyworx (Thanks Dan!)

This is how we manged to limp out of the dunes to the trailer (Always carry ratchet straps)

This is the part on the spindle that broke (sad part is the spindle gussets were already paid for sitting at Central Coast Prerunners :rolleyes: )

8/23/2006 Back to Toyworx to fix our mess

#22 ·
9/12/2006 Spare tire carrier (notice steve working on the cab crack)

This is when we redid the front shock mounts and added the engine brace/cage

9/19/2006 Front hoops (to defend Steve, it was really windy so the welds on one of the plates looks really really sh*tty)

9/20/2006 Finished, went to the dunes to test, nothing broke, hoops held up (havent had any problems so far)

#24 ·
I'm a 'crawler guy but everytime I come over to this side of TTORA, I like what I see more and more! You would think I'd be prerunnin', givin that I race karts at 95MPH, but then 'wheel at 3MPH? Maybe when I have enough money to make my truck trail-only, I'll buy a Tacoma and go this route (not THIS extreme tho:D ).

Good lookin' truck, I really like the Taco's that had the color-matched bumpers/grill, plus the red is just bitchin'. Props:welder:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.