Operation Teardown 85 Ex cab 22re - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbadyoda
Operation Teardown 85 Ex cab 22re

So finally progressed enough on this truck to actually start to make a half way decent "Build Thread". I've been wanting to get a truck like this for a while. Finding one like this on the East coast is few and far between. Half of them are trashed from them country folk beating them to death 4 wheeling or used and abused farm trucks and really or are rusted out. This one has a perfect cab no rust on it at all on it. Frame just has a little surface rust not much though considering it's age.

1984/1985 Toyota Truck Extra-Cab 4x4 with pretty low miles (actual mileage has left me) at this present time. Motor seems very stout and does not leak oil besides a little out the back of the valve cover so far, should be able to fix that... Made a 250 mi trip home from purchase at 60-75 mph without a hiccup. 19-20.5 mpg there and back. Axles are stock besides the rear is out of an IFS truck.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Plans (purchased goods)
* Dual Cases not sure if I'll put a 4:7 in there or two stock ones just yet,
already have another stock case, just need adapter.
* High steer + ifs box
* Bumpers & sliders (I'll make)
* 37 km2 17" tires depends on $
* ARB front and rear lockers
* E-brake via transfer case
* 3 link front leaf rear
* Body mounts, Engine mounts, and Transfer case mounts
* S.S. Brake lines
* bucket seats

Need to do
* Rebuild axles + run breather hoses
* move hangers for RUF and 63's
* move the exhaust towards the rear of the cab and possibly redo entire
exhast from manifold back
* Sandblast the frame + bed + parts of the cab
* Repaint the frame + bed + cab
* Bob the bed
* Clean up the wires only behind the radio with soldering (I hate "birds nests)
* Reseal the front window cause it looks like poo and get the rubber seal for
it also
* Fix rear sliding window (new rubber seals)
* Line-x/herculiner/undercoat the inside of cab and the underneath of cab.
* Make half doors from extra set of doors and make quick disconnects from
the hinges also.
* Clean up hole previous owner had CB running through out of roof right
before the 3rd light
* Fab up high steer brackets etc.
* Cut off all extra hanger clips and crap on the frame not in use etc
* Fab up skids and dual case skid
* This list will probably never end

First thing I did was to replace the Thermostat due to the Temp gauge not moving much from 100% cold even when it was 170 Degrees +. The heat didn't work good at all either so I figured I'd try that before i swapped sensors or heater cores.. It blew luke warm air if that which sucked for the 4.5 hr trip home in 30 degree weather. The thermostat also fixed the high idling problems it was having, since now is not running in OPEN loop the entire time.

[IMG][/IMG]

Temp has risen quite a bit more. I never drove it down the road just let it idle there to we will see how much it improves while driving

[IMG][/IMG]

While it was a rainy day I decided to take the bed off and the cab off as well. The interior was gutted as well and will be cleaning the inside up and putting some herculiner/line-ex on the inside and bottom of the cab. I'm going to sandblast the entire frame and then give it a good coating of paint with rust inhibitors in it as soon as this weather drys up a little bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is out cab removal process. Don't laugh we could have lifted it if we had another person easily and taken it off but I'm 6-3" and buddy's about 5-7 ish so it was to this disadvantage to lift it up enough to clear the motor. It took about 1.5 hrs so get it to the ground once everything was disconnected from the engine. That's going to be fun putting it all back together. Good thing buddy has another 22re we can compare stuff in the driveway if needed. I did have to cut 2 of the heater hoses to get motor disconnected from the cab unfortunately. Seems like it will be a 25$ uh oh.....I think the cab weighs close to 300 lbs and the bed 200lbs I'm not sure just a guess..

Kinda funny - we had cab lifted up till it was hitting the roof and still lacked about 6-10" to clear the motor. Buddies idea to let all the air out of the tires which lowered it just enough to push it out of the way.... When the cab goes on I'll be getting about 4 people to do it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ended up fiddling around with the cab a little and took the side and rear glass out. Need to try and get new seals for the rear glass on the bottom and top and right in the middle. They have seen their better days. Also if I decide to sandblast parts hard to sand on the cab less chance of scratching the glass.

[IMG][/IMG]

Spend the past couple days grinding on it and cutting that ugly front bumper off it. Cutting a lot of useless tabs, brackets, and just cleaning up the frame for sandblasting. Also took the push pull steering off as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

Decided with all the sandblasting I'll be doing and how good the motor runs at the moment I wanted to go ahead and pull the motor and not risk getting media all it it some how. Motor should get pulled this weekend, just have to get picket from friends house.

Testing out the blaster..
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks good to me for just the little while i tried it out..

Interior at the moment..
[IMG][/IMG]

AFRO ENGINEERING AT IT'S FINEST
[IMG][/IMG]

welded the U bolts wtf?

[IMG][/IMG]

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
She was probably ~130..I dont hit anything over 115

Last edited by bigbadyoda; 06-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Got my Hi Steer and steering box in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately it will be a little while before I will get to install them.

I guess I'm going to blast and paint the frame then the body/fenders/doors and put them all back on. Herculine and paint the inside of the cab and maybe the underside of the cab.

Then bob the bed, body work, and herculine the underside of the bed and inside of the bed.

Then I can work on the suspension and will have to grind off some fresh paint but want to have cab and all back in for sag reasons..

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I have now decided since I'm this far into the project that I will three link the front end and still stick with Chevy 63 in the rear for now. I will still run stock axles built though obviously. More updates when I get the pictures

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So it's been a while since I've done any real updates to the truck. Been working on it here and there as much as I can. I'm currently at a stand still as I don't have a press and have been meaning to build one but just have not gotten around to it and buying the jack.

So here's a few updates.

Got around to painting the frame. I kept the frame in the basement for about 3 weeks without any primer on after I sandblasted it. Started to get a little surface rust in spots where I grinded and dust/metal bits has settled. Put 2 coats of really good primer on. Waiting to weld on the link brackets till i paint the frame black.

[IMG][/IMG]

Got bored one day and ran to Autoparts store and picked up some high temp paint. Thought I'd like the Chevy Orange/Red but it's a little too orange on the T-case I tried it out on. So I think I'll just connect the transmission and duals and high temp paint and primer it all - Silver.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Painted/Sandblasted the Brake Booster High Temp Black, pissed me off cause there was brake fluid in the booster from I guess where/why the previous owner replaced it with the 1" bore MC. Painted it all and layed it just right for some to come dribbling out. hence the orange peal at about 10o'clock. Oh well can't really see it unless it's just right in the light..
[IMG][/IMG]

Ended up pulling the clutch out and pressure plate etc to check it and decided to replace it with a Marlin 1200 Clutch HD Kit and Pressure Plate.
[IMG][/IMG]

Engine to me looks really really clean. No Sludge I think it's been rebuilt very recently as well. It had lots of power and good mph with 33'd and stock 4.10 gears.
[IMG][/IMG]

Was going to paint the valve Cover in High Temp Red but I'm going to just have my good budy who Powder coats for a living... Gotta have a little BLING BLING baby.... I'm going to get im to do it in all red with silver TOYOTA and EFI lettering.
My Primer (High Temp Paint)
[IMG][/IMG]

Grill Painted Black again, TOYOTA it still uncovered.
[IMG][/IMG]

Finished stripping out all of the insides.. YIKES what a performance...Just purchased some adhesive spray and foam to redo all the flapper valves on the HVAC unit. All of the old foam was falling apart and was not creating a great seal. I'll do a write up on that when I get to it.
[IMG][/IMG]

I have purchased the famous IFS Hubs(1986-1995), FJ60 Rotors (81-86 i think), and V6 Calipers (1988-1995). I'll post up some more pictures when I get all the old studs pressed out of the old hubs and new rotors going on.

Dual case adapter came in last Friday. I've been waiting for my buddy since I have to press off the one bearing and he's got the press and all. That hopefully will go together asap before I start to forget where stuff goes.

Longfields and inner hub gears should be here this week. So i can start to clean my stripped front axle and grind for clearances.

Also started a long order from Marlin Crawler
1200lb clutch
pressure plate
misl bolts
clutch and tranny boots
25 mm pin upgrade kit (drilling out TG high steer arms)
front axle seal kit

All my stuff for my 3 link has been ordered also, shocks, heims, etc. Got to get some DOM tubing from my uncle for the links, shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm going to have a bunch of parts here at one time haha.

next on the list to make is a t-case mount for the duals with incorporating a skid as well.

Should have a hayday when all my front axle parts come in and 3 link parts here in the next few weeks. Had to mow, seed, fertilize, aerate, and trim bushes at our new house this weekend along with mow a few other yards. Got to fund this sink hole somehow. haha

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:

Last edited by bigbadyoda; 11-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm not sure where the time goes but I've been waiting for over a month now. Probably close to 2 months from my buddy who was suppose to drill out my FJ80 rotors for the front. I also need to get him to drill out my steering arms for the Marlin Crawler 25mm bearing upgrade. I've been toying around with the idea of going 6 shooters, but I'd say the 5th stud should hold up just as well and it's free.

Anyways enough chit chatt. I've not done much but have almost all my parts scattered out through the Garage.

I was tiered of the Plasma Cutter and welder cords and wires always laying in the floor. I've been getting especially ticked off cause of my welding radius in the garage, I've not been able to go but about 10' from the outlet about. So I built this for about 50$ in the wheel casters and 60$ in metal. Still have quite a bit of tube left over. I was not about to waste 100$+ on some BS China wobbly POS welder/plas stand. especially when one has 3000$+ worth of equipment on it.

I still have to go back over it and finish welding everything up for sure, position the rear wheels (width ways) the way I want and throw a little paint on it at some point.

Blue boy it a miller 180 and the silver bullet is a Hypertherm 45, which I got after a lot of research just recently.

Picked this jewl up for a bunch of parts I needed. Was going to steal all of the plastic (grey with Inclometer), wiring harness, maybe A/C, seats, corner and tail lights. Sell the motor and drivetrain, but my buddy bought an 85 roller so he's declared it "his" parts truck as well haha.

This is my buddies truck, 1985 extra cab, super solid bed. Only 2 small dime size rust holes.

Made my frame plates and welded them on.

Wanted to build the front axle but still didn't have my rotors or high steer drilled out yet for the Marlin 25mm kit. So got around to polishing out the knuckle balls a little bit.

Also picked up a 5.29/arb/HP third for the front, threw duals in it with the Marlin Adapter.

Unfortunately, while trying to mount the cab we realize that the frame it tweaked. Also another boo boo is I just welded the 1/4" frame supports all in it. I did not get around to trying to see if the frame could be straightened or not but just decided to trade a 22RE to my buddy for his bed and his frame. He like the shorter wheel base vehicles anyways as he's always wheeled a Heep, cough I mean Jeep. So were going to put his Extra-cab body on that 4runner frame and swap it at the same time.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:

Last edited by bigbadyoda; 11-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Little update, pictures soon to come. Buddy bought a 85 Extra cab just like mine 4x4 etc. SO i made a little deal with him if he'd give me his frame I'd let him use the 4runner frame and give him the 22re out of the 4runner to get him going.. Nothing like helping out a fellow friend everynow and then ya know.. So I'm now in the process of recutting and grinding all the unecessary BS off the new frame getting ready to make the frame support brackets and finally get back to where i was. Motor and cab should be test fit sometime next week for coilover mounts.

Going to send my HP/ARb to davesoffroad for some new 5.29 gears and then i can throw my front end together and start to weld on my link brackets.

This has been a slow and painfull start to a build. But Now I'm helping my buddy do his.

I've sold the bed that's in the pictures above and have gotten the bed off his (pretty much traded since I pratically gave him the 22re) as it's a extra cab 4x4 bed in decent shape. Little rust but it's fixable for sure.

I've got a pile full of new parts getting grinding dust all over them that need to be put on the truck. The next few weekends I'm going to hit it hard.

Got a bunch of steel and plan on welding all of my brackets and sliders onto the frame and then sandblasting it again for the final paint.

More pics to come tonight

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

GOSH, I'm not sure what's been going on but I've not touched the truck in about 2 months... Weather's been soooo nice outside I've been doing a lot of offroad racing with this sweet machine..

[IMG][/IMG]

I've not seen this done but I'm not a fan of the trunion bearing eliminator kit from TG and the obvious stock bearing failures. I wanted (for now) to keep the mini size and not go full width. I'll be running longs, 6 shooters, Hp front with 5.29, ARB, ARP studs, gusseted all over esp Knuckle balls etc so it should be a so called "bullet proof" front axle. To save weight, size, and since I'm just going to be running the 22RE and want to DD it if I want I decided stock width will be just fine.. I will go 3" wider on the front with the IFS hubs/FJ rotors and have the IFS rear. Got 3" BS wheels so that will help width wise as well. Got the Marlin 25mm trunnion bearing kit and went to install it in my TG 6 shooter knuckles.. At the same time I got the FJ joints all drilled on steering arms and pitment arm out to accept a 5/8" bolt for heims and steering. I'm happy with the way it turned out, had a local shop to all of the drilling and pres fits etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

All I need to buy is new ARP studs and I can start to install the front end together.. Got my HP front third installed with new 5.29 gears with the ARB all Brand New...

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:

Last edited by bigbadyoda; 11-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I finally got around to get some free time this weekend to fiddle around with the truck. Hell I think i've forgotten how to weld now :shaking: .

Anyways I did the old infamous IFS hubs, FJ80 (84 model I think) and like a 94' 4runner/truck V6 calipers. Got the calipers from O'Rilies, so they are not the best but will get the job done. I was going to use a 1/2"-20 bolt went and bought the tap and drilled out my 6 shooters and went to drill the calipers with a 29/64 bit and realized that the dang caliper holes were about 1/2".. So that made me HAVE to use a 9/16-18.. Took those bolts back and tap, and got 4x of the 9/16-18 bolts.. Get them in 1-3/4" and they will fit perfect with a low profile nut on the end. I did have to grind one of the ears a little to clear the caliper. I have not test fit them yet to the rotor, that should be tomorrow if I get to it.

Front end goodies
[IMG][/IMG]

Calipers tapped, 6 shooters drilled and bolted together.. 9/16"-18 bolt 1.75" lng with low profile nut for added security. I'll probably end up safety wiring the two bolts together, just cause..
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Little Marlin 25mm trunnion bearing kit bling...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

FJ80 (I think from like the 81-84 models I can't remember It's been 5+ months since I bought them... Installed, drilled to fit on the IFS hubs..
[IMG][/IMG]

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I like pictures.... Tried to line it all up to drill the new holes and hit those two smaller holes in the same process.. My guy did a pretty good job..

[IMG][/IMG]

Pitman arm ready to go

Doner 87 4runner got hacked in half behind the drivers seats to bring the front portion inside.. I'm using some of the wiring harnesses off it and interior pieces too... Also using it as a reference as to how everything goes back together lmao..

Motor that's being used as reference also..

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

It's been a few weeks thinking about what I want to do for the motor mounts and getting the motor situated where I "want" it. I've just centered it up and lifted it about 3/4" from the stock position. Lifted the T-case up I'm not sure how many inches but she's a flat belly at the moment.

I'm sure these are a little overkill for the massive horsepower I'm going to be seeing from the 22RE but better big than the other way.

Didn't quite like just the two plates. There was a little too much flex in it for my liking.

Still needs a little more grinding but I got tiered and the body was getting in the way a little for my worn out flapper wheel.. Probably throw a gussed or something on the front side to keep any foreward motions down.

New bender that does not work..... Threaded adapter that threads into the cylinder does not thread past about 1/5 of a turn and just locks up like the threads don't match. Measured the threads and they seem the same. I'm thinking it just didn't get tapped right for some reason from JD.

And always got to show the stack-o-dimes

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Spent some of the day building my press.. I am not sold on the Harbor Freight cheap crap. Even for a press that's not used every day the HF ones still seem cheap. Anyways building it out some 6" C channel. Cut a bunch of steel to length and just got to get an I beam for the top and drill a few holes n wel it all up

Got tiered of the vice moving around while using it.

Couldn't mount it down because of the 5'x10' sheet of 3/16" on top of my actual table.

Em effer mounted

Got my T-case in I made. Enlarged it a little big. Going to be running a tube underneath from frame with bushings on either side.

Before

After

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So I made a little progress this weekend. Finally tied together my T-Case mount. I just have to make a couple more measurements before I semi burn it all in.

This is what I'm going with. Home Brewed T-case plate (3/8") tube is 1.5" x.25 DOM. Cut a 3/8" slot in it so it will fit up in the t-case plate about 1/4-1/2". I'll throw a few reinforcements in there but I have to also fit my t-case brake i nthere before I burn it all up.

Was not tightened down in this picture lol don't judge

I'll be using both of the stock t-case mounts. I cut off the rubber and just used the top haf as you see. I'll be putting some 1.5" x.120 round tubing from my main t-case mount

Tube will look something like this. Had to notch out slightly for the right side where the output shaft goes..

Notch covered in

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Need motivation to dive into the front 3 link... I'm just afraid I'm going to have to modify the current 4wUnderground brackets too much for what I'm wanting to achieve I might should build my own..

Picture shows 23" ground to frame.. I didn't measure up travel to see what I had it set as I just fit the tire in to get an idea..

I'm afraid the 4WU upper link will collide with my new fancy motor mounts... :shaking:

So lonely

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Got around to working on the front end of the truck Saturday since it was like 70 degrees and a slight breeze. Couldn't beat the weather. Since this is the first 3-link I've done myself any comments are welcomed.

The following pictures are at full stuff. I don't have the panhard in at the moment but there "should" be room for it as the axle is not stuffed all the way up, but close to it.

This should be where the panhard shoult fit in..

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Finally got around to making a little more progression with the old Toyota.

Got my Upper mount tacked into place. Just need to plate it and add a side support.

Frame Side Upper mount. Will have a bunch of plate/reinforcement added. It will all be done when the cab is pulled off.. It's right up there..

Lower mounts, they hang down about 2" lower than the frame if I remember correctly.

Had the wifey cut me out some cardboard templates for my frame plate.

Panhard mount.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Panhard clearance with the Upper Mount and diff.

Panhard vs the oil pan. I can get about 1/4" more up travel. My jacks are fully extended and had nobody to help me put my 1/4" plate under jacks.

Near Full uptravel, have about 1/4"-3/8" clearance between lower link and frame. Didn't cut the frame.

Full passenger side lock vs panhard mount..

Full driver side lock vs panhard mount

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Threw the rear axle under her to get a start on the rear 4 link. I have been playing with the numbers and trying to see how much room I'm working with and trying to get some respectable numbers in the link calculator.

Still debating on what wheelbase I want to run. 37's, 23ish frame height, 69" wms stock axles 3.5" BS wheels, extra cab. I currently have it set at 115". My front axle is pushed forward a good 4"-6".

Got the rear axle all cleaned up, leaf perches cut, got my axle lower link tabs made, just need to try and get a good cross member design for the lower frame side.

Changed a few things since the last 4 link excel file above. I have more triangulation in my lowers at the frame and lowered the SA #'s down.

Started making my rear truss. Thought about going simple like most people do but I had 2 sheets of 5'x10' of 3/16" steel that need to get used at some point. Decided to make a "BEEF" rear truss for my upper link mounts.

These were a PITA to make and get the right curvature around the pumpkin. I will be fully welding all around the outside and placing some perpendicular plates in between the truss for extra support. Top piece will be plated in and link tabs incorporated onto it.

relocating the diff breather, I should have this rear truss and upper link mount wrapped up tomorrow along with the lower mounts welded to the axle.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ended up cutting the stock rear crossmember support out last night. Still lots of grinding to do which is a PITA. I'm about over grinding...

Worked a little on the rear upper axle links mounts. It's all tacked besides the base plate which is welded to the axle truss for good. I still lack a few brackets from the plate to the truss and make it a little more eye pleasing and throw some gussets in a few places here and there.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So I decided to rip out the 1.5"x.120 HREW tubing and replace it with some 1.5"x.188 DOM for my main tubing that extends from where I chopped the frame at.

Started on a small tail gate. I wanted to be able to latch/unlatch it similar to any normal tail gate. Trying to keep things simple I essentially copied a trailer gate spring latch.

Brainstorming.

Major PITA.

So I got started on my gas tank this week. Started out with a rather huge design like this.

Got a little wild and crazy and shrunk it down and cut out a sump

Sump is about 8x10x2.75"

Sides on

The current size gives me 24 gallons including the sump...

I plan on having to make my own fuel pump holder since the tank is taller than the stocker...

Bent some sliders up the past couple days with some 1.5"x.188 DOM I had laying around..

Unfortunately I am going to have to sell several toyota parts to fund other stuff right now. Since my build it quite a ways away from being completed. I also put this in the for sale section.
IFS V6 third 5.29 ARB gears have lifetime warranty

HP third 5.29 ARB gears have lifetime warranty

6 shooters drilled and installed the marlin 25mm bearing kit also drilled and tapped for the appropriate disks which are included+ ARP studs

Original Bobby Longs + hub gear + original Asin hubs

Toyota straight axle 85'

1 Toyota IFS axle complete, hub to hub

1 Toyota IFS axle complete, hub to hub with a rear truss for a 3 link

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Just tried to update most of my build, however, some stuff is missing from this build thread. I find myself spending more and more time on pirate4x4. So here is my updated build on there.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...t-build-4.html

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I was tiered of the floor looking like this for the past 2 years.

I have been brainstorming and dreading trying to make a tunnel. Myself, sheet metal, old toyota truck sheet metal, and a welder just don't get along very well.

Spent about an entire day cutting, leveling edges, and deciding on what I wanted to do.

Bought some tubing, because I thought I might make a skeleton and throw some 16ga over it. Ended up being too bulky, even the 1/2" and 3/4" tubing for my liking once I got to mocking it up.

Cut out and bent some 16ga I had leftover

Test fitting it in the cab.

Cut out some holes. Made a slot for the tranny/e-brake bolts. Those are a major PITA to get to with a lifted drivetrain

checking fitment.

Sort of the final product, just need to drill all the holes and make the front plates.

Front

Rear, I left this open, even with a HP third my driveshaft is several inches away. It will hit the back portion of the cab before it hits where the tunnel ends. I want to put a little compartment here. Or make some sort of storage thing. secret ya know. Don't tell anyone.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Made a new fuel pump holder since my new tank is about 3-4 inches deeper than the stock tank due to the new sump. Had to throw some new dimple dies in there.

Finished up patching the tranny tunnel. Total PITA.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

So after reading many 1UZ swaps and 3.4 swap threads, I couldn't keep myself from swapping one in. Due to space limitations with my 3 link and a little more USA information with the 3.4, I decided to do the 3.4 swap.

Picked up a 1997 SR5 4Runner with the 3.4 and a 5spd about a month ago. This will save me from also having to buy a 3.0 V6 tranny and I think the driver side master cylinder will work good for me.

Time for a few pictures.

Stripped the motor down and replaced the crank and cam seals, water pump, timing belt and associated bearings and adjuster, all the exhaust studs, bead blasted and painted the motor since the 4runner at some point was a Northern truck so it had some surface rust on it. Replaced the spark plug seals and valve cover gaskets + PCV grommet. I can post up all of the updated Toyota part numbers if anyone wants.

New oil pickup and installing the new oil check line. My engine has the dummy plug, it was a PITA to knock out.

Murphy's law... After throwing a bunch of sealant on the oil pan, and torquing down the LAST bolt, it breaks. Had to pull it all apart again, clean it all back up and attempt to extract.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Tried to button up the old 3.4 today but I just can't get myself to put back on the old intake manifold due to wanting one of these.

Spend the better part of the day cleaning the shop and dealing with parting out one of my 2 3rd Gen 4Runners. Made 600$ so I guess it was worth it. For some reason it seems like I work on the truck for 1 hr, look for tools for about 45 mins and spend 2 hrs cleaning up the shop. :laughing:

I ordered a bunch of stuff from DavesOffroadPerformance such as 4.7 T-case with MC gears in it, 5spd tranny to gear driven t-case and several other odds and ends to convert myself to 23 spline. As soon as I can get those parts in the drive train is going together and in for mockup...

Still waiting on the new axles and brakes/parts etc.

I have been toying around with what new seats to go with. I want a reclining seat because I will have storage behind the seat and if the wifey drives will need to be able to let her adjust as necessary. I think I have decided on the Mastercraft Baja RS. I was initially looking at the Corbeau RS seats but after some not so good reviews I think the extra money might be well spend. Thoughts?

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Little Red Rocket got loaded down with some parts from the nice guy in the big brown truck.. Late x-mas presents.

Wala

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I have been out of the build for a while and it's been collecting dust. I have been waiting since Christmas on a taco 5 spd tranny to mini truck t-cases, twin sticks, and some other junk.

Started putting the rear and front axles together. The more and more I deal with these axles, they are pure awesome and just plain sexy. I had to throw some pictures up here

I am going to run 16" coilovers in the rear and will most likely run 14's up front. However I have not purchased the front coilovers yet until i can make sure the 16's won't work with 40's.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The 3.4 fits like a glove. The only thing I am worried about is the way I have my drive train lifted is I will have to move the motor farther forward than I want to get the crossover pipe to fit.

Had a buddy cut out my new fuel tank pump and fuel line piece.

Kind of what clearances I am looking at for the crossover pipe

Cut out my old 22RE engine mounts

That escalated quickly...

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Finished up my gas tank. Ended up calculating it at about 22 gallons completely full. This should give me the option of really only running it at half full most of the time and on a longer trip fill her up. All I have to do it get a buddy to tig up the top and throw some AN fittings through the top cap.

Sump and drain, sump holds about 3/4 a gallon. There are baffles in the tank to try and minimize the slosh.

Don't mine the tubing, that's just to help minimize the tank warp during final welding.

Rear is actually on the far side where the fuel pump is, that is so going up hill I don't run out of fuel.

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Forward one step, backwards two steps. Just trying to get back to where I can mount the motor and tranny. Cut off the front section of the frame, capped the end and got some 2x3 - 3/16" tubing to use for the front section. 3/16" is probably slightly overkill compared to the stock frame (1/8") however I won't have to plate any of it. This took every level that I have to get it all straight, square, and level.

I left quite a bit of extra up front to work with when I build my front bumper. Easier to cut tubing off than to add to it.

It's been close to a year since I welded anything. I rekon it will do...

I'm going to put some 3/16" plate on the outside of this joint on both sides. Got lucky and the outside edges of the frame were pretty flush with one another. It's hard to realize how these frames are not square like you'd think they would be. There are all sorts of bends and curves in them.

Had to make some new body mounts for the front clip. I will most likely be cutting off the inner fenders so before I do that I wanted to get new front body mounts made so there is no guessing where the clip goes later.

Will have to chop the bottom off just a little bit.

Calling it a night...

2002 F350 SRW 7.3
12' KTM 350XCF
05' CRF 450R Race Bike

Quote:
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode