TTORA Forum banner

SAR_Squid79's Expedtion Trailer Build

44K views 87 replies 39 participants last post by  SAR_Squid79 
#1 · (Edited)

I am in the process of preparing a full article for 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine about my trailer build. I don't want to post too much here until after the article. But I PROMISE this write up will eventually include specs, parts, costs, lessons learned, etc, etc...

To be honest - even if I wanted to post all of that info right now, I couldn't! I have a box full of receipts and invoices that I haven't even sorted through. Plus all my thoughts, and opinions... This trailer is still a work in progress. As it sits right now, it's ready to hit the trail, but I have a long, expensive, complicated to-do list to accomplish before I will call this thing "FINISHED".

I designed the trailer all on my own. It has been built completely from scratch my my dad, and I. Once complete, it should have the same ride height, ground clearance, approach and departure angles, and turning radius as my Tacoma. In theory - it SHOULD be able to go anywhere my truck can go. Time will tell.

In the mean time here are a few pics of the evolution of my trailer. I am naming the trailer "Long Range Patrol".

The Symbolism:
The Arrowhead: The 36th Division was organized with personnel from Texas and the Indian territory or Oklahoma. The arrowhead represented their operation in Indian territory. It was originally approved on 12 November 1918 for the 36th Infantry Division. It was redesignated for the 71st Infantry Brigade on 7 May 1968 and redesignated for the 71st Airborne Brigade on 10 March 1969.

The Scorpion: This is the insignia of the "Long Range Desert Group" (LRDG) - The Long Range Patrol was one of the first special forces formed in WW II. Although part of the British forces, the Long Range Patrol was mostly made up of New Zealanders. In December 1940 British formed G Patrol, and along with the New Zealand R and T patrols made up what was now known as the Long Range Desert Group. In January 1941 they were joined by more British in Y Patrol, and Southern Rhodesians in S Patrol.

The "R": Symbolizes both "TRD" and "TTORA" in honor of the trailer being towed by my sweet ass Tacoma.

The Evolution:

When it's done, I'm plan to have on-board:
  • 10 Gallons of Gas
  • 25 Gallons of Water
  • Refridgerator
  • Self-sufficient electrical power
  • Camp Shower
  • Roof Top Tent
  • Awning
  • Storage
  • Cooking Area
  • Flood / Work lights

My goal is that when this trailer is fully outfitted I can hook 'er up, head deep into the back-country and be completely self sufficient, and relatively comfortable (no gas stations, no 7Elevens, etc.) for 7 - 10 days.

In the mean time - while I'm still getting all my info organized - I'm happy to answer any specific questions about parts, sources, measurements, etc...

See less See more
#7 ·
will it carry an extra spare tire also?

how thick is the main support square tube/tounge and why did you choose to make it that long?
Right now the trailer's spare is sitting inside the trailer. For the interim, I will put the trailer's spare up under the truck in the stock spare location when I hit the trail, but I'm planning to have CBI build me a swing-away spare carrier for the rear of the trailer.

The trailer tongue is 1/4" wall, 2" inner-diameter HD tubing that runs the length of the trailer. We did that for overall rigidity of the trailer, like the keel of the ship. The tubing also serves as front & rear receivers. That way, if I ever need to be recovered from the rear with the trailer hooked up, it will be much stronger.

Here you can see the rear recevier:

The only thing that jumped out at me was the struts for the lid being on the outside; any reason they're on the outside rather than inside?
The way we built the lid, it was much easier to mount them to the outside. They perform the same either way, it would have just been a PITA to mount them inside... The lid design is one of the things I'd change if I had to do it over.

It appears that the trailer tires/rims are the same size as those on your truck and could serve as additional back-up to your truck-mounted spare; is that purpose-built to provide spares for the truck?

... if you're really going to be self-sufficient for days on end though, you'll need one of these... :D
The trailer's wheels and tires are BFG M/T's (33 x 10.50 R15) on Wheeler's 15x8 black steelies, 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. So the trailer's tires, and the truck's tires are interchangable.

And instead of a pintle hitch, I went with a Lock 'N Roll hitch (303 & 212):
http://www.locknroll.com/

...and I love the lunch box! Is that yours? The Rat Patrol was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid! I had my go-kart all decked out like a Rat Patrol Jeep... :D

#3 ·
Wow! Nice trailer build. Amazing how much comfort and convenience fit into that tiny footprint. The only thing that jumped out at me was the struts for the lid being on the outside; any reason they're on the outside rather than inside?

#10 ·
Well - that's the thing. I'd really love to have an AT Chaser, but the BASE PRICE with no amenities is like $9000! :eek: As my trailer sits right now, I've probably got about $1500 - $2000 or so in it. ...but of course - I got the Roof-Top-Tent for free!

#5 ·
I've been watching/enjoying this build up for a while. Well thought out!

It appears that the trailer tires/rims are the same size as those on your truck and could serve as additional back-up to your truck-mounted spare; is that purpose-built to provide spares for the truck? Now you just need a pintle mount and a M-240G....

You are one detail-oriented builder -- must've been an HT early in your career -- great job! But if you're really going to be self-sufficient for days on end though, you'll need one of these... :D

#6 ·
One great trailer...I can't wait to read it on hardcopy!
Great work!

#9 ·
Anyone remember this?

Great build Jamie!
I like those trucks, almost bought a J10 a few years ago, but decided I didn't have the time/money/experience to build anything at the time. Now I lack the time/experience ;)

#13 ·
Excellent write-up and build. I can't wait to get the full details and photos. I helped out a little bit on a similar build my father-in law completed in the 90's when he built his jeep trailer from the ground up. His had a platform top with two fold-out extensions and a canvas canopy-type cover that resembled the old covered wagons. Really cool and one-of a kind, but the aluminum poles and canvas tent took up about half of the space in the trailer! We both slept in that baby on a lot of hunting and camping/jeep trips though. You'll most likely ditch the moniker "Long Range Patrol" and start calling it "home" before you know it, you'll be using it so much. Yours looks fabulous, much lighter and well thought-out... and I know you're gonna put it to plenty of good use.

I looked at those chasers online, but the cost was just too prohibitive for my budget. Plus Mel and I have been getting by without a trailer and not pulling one does simplify things. But if I were a welder and machinist I'd probably still build one just because I could. Lucky you that your dad has the skills and is willing to help out. That's terrific! Maybe I'll get to see it on a run sometime in '09.

#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Nice job! Looking forward to your report next week.

#17 ·
great build!!! ive thought of building a trailer, i just havent decided if i like the idea of having to deal with a trailer behind on me extended trips. course then again, it would be pretty cool to just unhook the trailer and basecamp is done!!!

excellent work!!

#19 ·
looks like you have lots of room on the tongue for a tire carrier too so it wont block the slick taillights.

how do those springs ride?
Actally there's not enough room on the tongue for the spare. For now, I will carry the spare in the stock spare location on the Tacoma, until I can afford to have Steve @ CBI build a tire carrier for the rear of the trailer. The trailer tires are 33's, and we purposely spaced the tail lights far enough apart that the spare can go back there without blocking the lights.

I don't know how well the springs will do on the trail yet. We'll find out this weekend.

#20 ·
:xpopcorn2

#28 · (Edited)
Looks great...are those LED brake lights bright?

I have been thinking of getting / making an off-road expo trailer.
So that I can still use my truck as a truck.
How much was the material costs?

And when will your build be published?
You know you could make instructions on how you built it and sell it.

edit: Never mind about the cost, just saw it in an earlier post.
$2,000 - -not bad.

#29 ·
Looks like it functioned nicely on your recent trip, Jamie. :kewl:

How'd you like that trailergate cooking platform? We've been getting lots of use out of our little "cooking area" counter space modification. Little things like that really make camp just that much more comfortable. Damn, looks like a great trip. We're about ready to bug outta Minnesota, since it's getting colder and since we got a call to go out to CA later in the month for a job. Guess we won't be making it into Canada and the maritimes on this trip. Gonna have to come back this way I guess.

How long is that trailer box frame? Long enough to run a set of longer leaf springs? If you're noticing a really stiff ride back there on the trailer, I'd suggest you look into longer leaf springs and then you look into shocks. Those short leaves are stiff and bouncy in general. That build my father-in-law did involved some old truck springs and it rode nice and flexy. But I'm guessing his had about 800lbs more weight in it than yours, since he overbuilt everything and used a lot of iron and plywood in his.

Looks great. Nice work. Man, I gotta learn to weld one of these days!

#30 · (Edited)
THIS WEEKEND:

This weekend I took the trailer out for its maiden off-road voyage. It did about as well as I expected.

I pretty much beat the piss out of it this weekend (at least it felt that way). I almost dumped it on its side once, and hit a lot of rough spots in the trail faster than I should have. It rode, pulled, and tracked great. It seems to be very tough, and soild!

I think it could probably benefit from a set of shocks. Possibly longer springs as Stealth4x4 suggested. However - I'm confident that the trailer is fine as-is to be taken out on the trails.

The most important thing I need to revise before its next trip is the way I have my gear organized and secured. My system worked GREAT and has been proven time & time again when loading everything in the bed of the truck, but the trailer is a WHOLE different story.

I got lots of attention and quite a few compliments from others we encountered on the trail, and the Rangers. Overall - A VERY SUCCESSFUL TEST FLIGHT! :kewl:

#36 ·
I mainly put a receiver back there for recovery. In case I get my self into a situation where I have to be recovered from the rear and can not unhook the trailer.

Notice how the tubing that is the tongue runs all the way through the trailer, and acts as a receiver at both ends. We did that for overall strength and rigidity, but mostly for strength and integrity in case of a recovery situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.