TTORA Forum banner

JWaldz '99 4Runner Build

25K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  JWaldz 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally slapped one together. I posted it up on another site and figured I'd bring it over here as well. I know it's a little past due for it, but oh well.

1999 LTD Toyota 4Runner, V6, Auto

Suspension & Lift
  • Front 2.5 650lb Extended Length SAW Coilovers
  • Rear 3" OME 891s
  • Bilstein 5125 ext. length rear shocks
  • ToyTec Diff Drop
  • ToyTec Panhard Drop
  • 2" 4Crawler Body Lift

Tires, Wheels, & Brakes
  • 315/75R16 Mickey Thomspon MTZ's
  • 16" '94 Lexus LX450 Wheels
  • 2006 Tundra 231mm Brake Swap
  • All-Pro Offroad 1.25" Hub-Centric Spacers

Offroad, Trail, & Lighting
  • '97 4Runner E-Locker (full axle swap) w/ Retrofit Wiring
  • ARB RD-90 Front AirLocker
  • ARB CKMA12 High Output On-Board Air
  • Nitro Fr/Rr 4.88 Gears
  • B.A.M.F. Kickout Sliders
  • Skid-Row Front Skid
  • Tacoma ARB Bumper (modified to fit 2" body lift)
  • 1st Gen 4Runner Roll Bar
  • 48" Hi-Lift Jack
  • Rage Products Rack & Fairing
  • 30" Totron SR LED Bar
  • Retro-Solutions 55W 8K Bixenon HIDs
  • Altezza Style Rear Tailights
  • Clear corners
  • LED Interior/Exterior Lighting

Electronics, Audio, & Performance
  • Kenwood KDC-X794
  • Cobra 18 WX-ST II CB Radio & 4' Firestick Antenna
  • 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs
  • ScanGaugeII
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch 900w monoblock amp
  • DieHard Platinum P-5
  • Blue Sea Fuse Block
  • Bussman 100amp Breaker
  • TRD Trans. Cooler
  • 18" Magnaflow
  • Fog Mod (pre arb)
  • Full Time Outlet Mod
  • Deckplate Mod
  • Rear Diff Breather Extended
  • Antenna On/Off Select Mod
  • Scion Rockers (Blanks & w/ LED)

Other Aesthetics
  • Front & Rear Wet Okoles
  • Paracord Steering Wheel Wrap
  • Black Pearl Badges
  • Black Pearl Grille

Future Mods
  • External Trans. Cooler (done)
  • Tundra Brakes (done)
  • 4.88 Gears (done)
  • Front ARB Locker (done)
  • On-board Air (done)
  • Winch
  • Rear Plate Bumper
  • Interior Lighting (done-ish?)
  • Whatever other deals I come across :D

Most Current Pics

Stock (after putting tires on)

Short Pic Timeline

See less See more
#40 ·
Damn! Are they gold plated or something? Down payment? Wow!

#46 ·
We all WANT more power, but might not necessarily NEED it. I rather rebuild the motor and make her purrrrrr :D

At this point, if I slapped on a SC I would lessen the life expectancy of my engine. No bueno.

#51 ·
Well here's an update.

My not even a year old Die Hard Platinum died. Truck had been having issues starting. So I took it up to Sears and they confirmed it. Just strange why it died and it got me thinking, maybe I need to clean up my rats nest of accessories. So I ordered a Blue Sea Fuse Block and breaker to aid that. I also treated myself to a new Milwaukee Impact Wrench set so I can quit using Josh's every time I break on the trail (which seams to be often) "Told him to go to the right"

I wanted to keep an eye on my Trans Temp since my truck is getting older as well as have a little better idea of how fast I'm going since tires kinda throw that off. So I bought a ScanGaugeII for like $80 bucks. Couldn't pass it up.

Yesterday I was scrounging craigslist for tires, just to see If I can get by not spending a small fortune for new ones and I found these. Went to go pick them up in conway. $300 smackaroos :D

Sway-A-Way 2.5 CO's

Lastly, before I left for Conway, I got home and found these at my door step. Man they're sweet!!

B.A.M.F. Sliders

Welp, that's about it.

#53 ·
I'm gonna re-route things back to inside the cab and mount it somewhere down below the column on the driver side. I''ve decided I'm ditching my two hella lights and the 10" lightbar. I'll be putting up a 30" when it gets here. That's the plan anyways. It's a 12 fuse block so I'll have plenty room for extra things. The cb, rr locker power, compressor, and powered switches will all be on it. I'm sure I'm missing something.

In other news, Josh and I will be tackling the slider install tomorrow. I bought me a panhard drop to re-center my rear axle up too that we'll be installing.

I'm toying with the idea of sending my coil overs off to be rebuilt. They don't look like they need it, I just figure after 3 years they could probably use some freshening up. I'm having issues finding someone local to to do it and I don't really want to do it myself. Got quoted around $240 from OffRoad Warehouse and Offroad-Engineering in San Diego. I haven't decided yet.

#58 ·
Man those sliders were a bitch.. with the 35's they ended up being too long. The angle on the legs caused the kickout to catch the limited flare cladding on the back doors, which I had to grind down. at least they look good.

Front with tire turned where they would hit the worst.

Rear

Did the panhard drop as well

The only think I can really hope for is the coilovers fixing this. Right now I have about 2.5" lift in the front. The coilovers should put me back to 3" which will bring the sliders up farther from the center point of the tire, thus less rubbing.

#63 · (Edited)
Time for an update. Got the sliders cut down and replated. You couldn't tell if you didn't know about it. Thanks Josh. 35's no longer rub on them at all which is great, but they still rub some in the fender well when full lock and flexing. Nothing I can do about that. Coilovers are on and the ride 1 million times better compared to the ome/bilstein setup. It was getting rough. The new 35's ride smooth as butter. Need to do some front ends steering component maintenance and that'll get rid of some wobbling I'm having issues with. New light bar is on and It looks a lot better than the double row one I had on there. Puts out A LOT more lumens too :D. Been doing some small odds and ends I been wanting to do. Replaced the front sway bar bushings, they were toast. Relocated CB antenna and dremelled in a 3 switch holder to free up some room. Ordered me some LED bulbs to freshen up the lighting interior a little more as well as some Wet Okole seat covers that should be another couple weeks before I see those. My driver side seat has a tear and it's only getting worse. My rear driver side window motor is out so I got a guy who's doing a part out to ship me his. Just in time for this nice fall weather! Did I mention I'm broke? Good thing my bday is in a month haha

Future plans (in order)

• Inner & Outer Tie Rods
  • Lower Ball Joints
  • Front Limit Straps
  • Extended Rear Bump Stops
  • Front UCA's
  • Save for Rear plated bumper (tax return money)

#65 ·
Got me some parts..

Here's the culprit of the side to side wheel wobble. It was loose as hell.

The otr and lbj were noticeably warn, but otherwise in good shape. I'll definitely be keeping them for trail spares.

Then got an alignment.

Lastly, I had a box waiting for me when I got home yesterday. Since I ordered the rears separately, looks like I'll be waiting a little longer for them. I love these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.