TTORA Forum banner

Disappointed with my Toytec 3" lift

90K views 73 replies 42 participants last post by  fourwd 
#1 ·
This work was done on my 2011 d-cab 4x4 TRD O/R. Yes, there is a little venting in this thread, but hopefully it can help somebody else be informed if they are considering the lift kit i bought.

I talked to the salesman, told him what i wanted and what my intensions are:

** 3" lift in the front and wanted it to sit level
** have a set of 285/65/18s i want to put on it.

I bought this kit, except no rear shocks and I added all the stuff the salesman recommended to me (shims, bearing spacers, diff drop, longer u-bolts, etc) I got the part number from toytech for the shocks and got them from a different vendor because toytech had them on backorder and had no ETA.

My truck sits Much higher in the back than it does the front. The tech said I got 2.25" in the front, but said he did not measure the rear before the lift.

Measurements:
(from ground to bottom of fender flair centered through the wheel)
Front-Before: 33-7/8" After: 36-1/8"
Rear-Before: not measured After: 39-1/4"

The truck is VERY noticably higher in the back. With 2 of my friends standing on the rear bumper, it sits close to level.

What i used:
bilstein 5100s (with the clip on the 2nd lowest position (per toytec))
toytec 1.6" lift springs
toytec AAL
all the hardware they upsell to go with it.
Everything installed at the toyota dealership.

I was assured over the phone that my truck would be lifted 3" front and sit level, and I got neither of this.

If anybody can think of a logical reason the truck did not come out the way Toytec said it would, i am all ears and will forward it to the toyota technician.

I plan to call Toytec on Monday, But I dont have a lot of faith in this. One of those situations where you spend *more* than what you planned and get less than what you wanted. All the way down to the $40 1" longer Ubolts, which have 1.5" of thread showing out of the bottom right now.

See less See more
#43 ·
I bought the Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit and am very happy with it. LEt me tell you how the next several months are going to go for you.
Let's start from initially installing the kit.
***kit installed. shipped shock settings***
"Wow, the back is kinda high..."

***adjust front coilovers***
"That looks better."

***several months later, TSB leafs + AAL have sagged out***
"Looks like shit again... damnit."

***call Alcan, order, receive and install custom built leafpacks***
"F'ing A, shit's awesome now..."

And there ya have it. That's from personal experience. Adjust your front shocks and move on...

#46 ·
oh no! the rear of a TRUCK is 1/2" higher than the front! thats awfully picky if you ask me.

my truck has had rake (bro and normal) in many different forms. bro rake with broken stock taco leafs, HUGE bro rake when i threw on the tundra coils in front and had to wait a month to throw my alcans on the rear, crazy rake (normal) before the alcans settled, and fairly level since front and rear have settled.

adding bumpers, skids, sliders, toolbox, bigger spare, gear, ect change the stance of the truck every few months. its a truck for christ sake, it will never be perfectly level.

#48 ·
oh no! the rear of a TRUCK is 1/2" higher than the front! thats awfully picky if you ask me.
There is no way to really even see this little difference except with a tape measure. Also when you are driving around and actually using it on the trails you sure wont notice. Heck most trucks come from the factory 2-3 inches higher in the rear and people don't even realize it. Go out wheel it and enjoy and who cares about a little rake either way.

#47 ·
I still like a truck to be raked a bit. Of course, i actually use my truck, I don't sit around with a tape measure down at the mall measuring my fenders.

#49 ·
one pic is with the toytec lift kit. I am completely satisfied with the new lift. Clears my tires with room to spare. In the picture, the bed is fully of a few hundred pounds of stuff.

Also, a big plus. I never mentioned, even with the rear axle shims, carrier drop, etc.. My truck had a ton of vibration from 0 to 20 MPH with the toytec (stock tires). All that is gone now.

Attachments

#57 ·
I rarely feel the need to reply, but to the OP you are all over the place man. I mean, single dad with limited resources...really? that's a nice house you're parked in front of with what appears to be more than enough driveway space to do work. I think you're a spoiled rich kid who got his parents to fork over some dough. Thanks Dad! Work on your own shit like many others and maybe you'll be treated alittle better by this group.

#58 ·
Some people arent spoiled rich kids, some people actually work there asses off but dont have the time or need to fix/build something. Those people usually can afford to pay for that to be done. Heck, even if he's rich and spoiled, then he's giving someone else a job and not being greedy with the money. One day parts and labor is gonna get expensive, so he might learn to do it himself.

#59 ·
What i used:
bilstein 5100s (with the clip on the 2nd lowest position (per toytec))
toytec 1.6" lift springs
toytec AAL

all the hardware they upsell to go with it.
Everything installed at the toyota dealership.
The two things in bold... Im not familiar with late model taco's but what is the 1.6 lift springs? Is it rear lift leaf springs or is that the coil that goes on the front strut?

If it were me I would crank up the front coilover atleast one more notch. If that doesn't make you happy, then I would take the AAL out but hold on to it because in a couple of months you're probably going to decide you want it back. MY :2cents:

I also have a Toytec rear AAL lift. But i have SAW's in front. My rear has always sat higher, and when I cranked my coilovers up to level it out, I started tearing through CV boots like its my job! So i lowered it back down. My rear still sits higher than I'd prefer but its not too bad so Im dealing with it.

BTW your truck looks nice, hope you get things how you want them so you can enjoy it!

#62 ·
this guy has been given too much attention with this

#63 ·
Hahahahahahaha!!! I'm guilty of contributing to this madness, but this thread was probably tits up at reply #15. OP sure got a lot of replies though...

#68 ·
I just had the same lift installed today. I measured it and I'm sitting about 1 inch lower in the front with no rear block or AAL. A little frustrated thinking i was getting 3 inches and only got about 2.125" out of the lift kit. Any ideas why this is happening, and have you talked to toytec about it? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Jon

#69 ·
I have been researching a 3 inch lift as well and came across this old post and saw your recent comment. My guess is you used the Toytec/Eibach front coils that only provide 1.6 inches of lift instead of the Toytec 521600 front coil which provide 2.5 inches of lift and 3 inches with a top spacer (optional). The 3 inch lift is a kit, so not sure why people are buying the parts separately and getting the wrong coils. Can you confirm what coils you used? How are you 1 inch lower in the front with 2 inches added up front and nothing in the rear? That would mean prior to the lift your rear was 3 inches higher than the front? Doesn't sound right.

#70 ·
I had a what toytec is calling a 3" coil spacer installed on my 2013 Tundra Crewmax 2WD and I only got 2.125 inches of lift out of it. Pretty disappointing. They are saying that my truck is too heavy and creating the sag in the front. Don't really believe that but whatever. No one can figure out what is going on. Toytec basically said they don't guarantee any lifts to what it claims and that each car is different. I get that, but it's not even close. I'm taking it back to the shop next week, they are going to pull a coil to see what part number I have, maybe they gave me the wrong part. My fault for not checking it beforehand. If they gave me the correct parts I might just buy another 1/2 spacer that would put me at about 3" lift dead on, only thing it my bolts might now be long enough. Either way it's frustrating and now I'm looking at more labor cost and possibly more parts. I don't even know if I could get bigger tires in there the way it is right now. Anyone have any idea of why it's not lifting to the correct height??

#72 ·
Ya, you might wanna do your homework a little before just buying a lift kit to join the brolife. I ordered Bilstein 5100 extended travel shocks, toytec 3 inch front coil springs, toytec 1 inch block lift in the rear and, extended u joints. So actually I went less and got the ride I wanted because I researched lifting my truck before just doing it. Also I'm on the lowest notch on the Bilsteins and got 3 inches but that could be because I have a first gen tacoma and might not be able to achieve the higher lift like the gen two. I have nothing bad to say about the support you receive over the phone either, guys at toytec are very helpful and knowledgeable from my chats with them.

#74 ·
I don't remember , been too long but having rake sucks, having bro lean is ~no bueno~ as well , level is best IMO & that's all it is , both those geometries rear their heads with steep degrees of incline (up or down) but yeah getting a truck level isn't rocket science, it's a little more challenging with an IFS but obtainable by matching the coils in front with the upgraded strut you'll need to do this, I had 2nd gen Tacoma OME's 883# on 1st gen Tundra 5100's on a 1st gen Tacoma & got 3" of lift on all corners

I had rebuilt my rear springs with Chevy springs using just my main leaf & adding 4 70's era Chevy truck springs ...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.