TTORA Forum banner

Icon Coilover Maintenance & Require Adjustments

16K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  toyo58 
#1 ·
To all that have Icon coilovers, how frequently do you have to adjust them, replaces seals, have them rebuilt, etc?

I know this would all depend on how you drive your truck...

I'm almost always on the street these days but on occasion I go offroad and drive on back country dirt roads that can be pretty rough. I take the truck up north to The Alabama Hills, Mammoth, Yosemite, Tahoe etc.. The 395 is my favorite road to drive on.

#2 ·
I had Donahoes on my truck for almost 6yrs and 125k miles before I sent them in to be rebuilt. They weren't leaking or had any issues, but I was re-doing my whole front end, so it just made sense to have them serviced at that time.

For your type of use, just check them occasionally to see if you are leaking any fluid. A small amount of build-up around the seal is expected, but if you see lots of wet fluid or heavy build-up, then it would be time to get them serviced.

#3 ·
Had mine 2 years. I live on the beach and drive in sand, mud and water regularly.

No leaks or rust. When I do need a rebuild I will go ext. travel(unless by some miracle I could SAS)

I rinse them often with the hose and once in a while hit them with WD40 or INOX.

#4 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.
I just didn't want to put suspension in that requires me to constantly be tinkering & adjusting. This truck is my daily driver and I rely on it to get to work, drive my son to and from school, etc. I enjoy learing about my truck and doing things myself quite a bit. Some things I have yet to learn or dont have the tools to fix on my own and as a result, I have to take it to a shop. Last time I had a larger repair I needed done, my clutch needed replacing and I ended up having ShowStop do it for me. If I had the financial resources & time I would drive my truck more spiritedly and take it offroad more. I love my truck and searched around for a while to find my specific model with all the options it has etc. Anyways, you get the idea..

#11 ·
Took this right from our website. If you guys have any other questions please feel free to hit me up. Thanks, Todd

ICON Shock Wraps are a must have for vehicles that see Extreme Weather Conditions or Dirty / Muddy Off-Roading more often then not. These neoprene coil over shock protection covers offer an added layer of resistance keeping dirt, mud, grime, snow, harsh road salts / spray's, and rocks from getting to the shock shafts or seals. This added layer of protection helps prevent damage like shaft pitting & cut seals that require you to have your shocks rebuilt prematurely. ICON Shock Wraps velcro on in seconds, and have a nice form fit with elastic banded ends to give you the most protection possible.

Key Features:

• Added Protection for Coils Springs, Shock Shafts, Shaft Seals

• Can be installed or removed in seconds with out removing shocks from the vehicle

• Additional layer of protection from rocks, road elements and more

• Covers from upper coil adjuster nut down to lower spring perch

• Features the ICON Shield logo

• Made in the USA

Tech Info:

• We recommend a thorough cleaning of shock and covers when heavily covered in road grime or dirt / mud

#12 ·
I'm still interested in a set from ICON. I would pull them off for cleaning and inspection ever week when I wash my truck though.

#13 ·
What Todd passed on says it and to go a little further the fact they velcro on, they are easy to pull off while washing your truck. This way you can make sure nothing is inside that could hurt the shock. When we decided to take this concept and adapt them to the street/offroad truck coilover shocks we saw it as more an added layer of protection when you really needed it. We would think during the summer and cleaner condition times of the year you would leave them off. The original thought was winter, offroad weekend session, sand dune/beach runs would all be viable conditions to use these covers.

Someone mentioned we do not recommend something because of holding moisture in. This should be in reference to the rubber style shock boots. These boots are for a rear shock and seal much tighter holding in any water or grime that gets in, thus causing damage in the long run. Unfortunately some of you live in regions that these still help, and is a smarter choice to use than not. Not all of us live in the dry climate of southern CA where we are, so it's just a choice you need to make based on the situation your truck is faced with daily.

Hope the additional info helps understand the point of the neoprene coilover covers better.

Brad

ICON Vehicle Dynamics

www.iconvehicledynamics.com
www.facebook.com/ivdsuspension

#14 ·
Back to the thread subject, and since Icon Reps decided to post in here, maybe I could get my answers straight from the source.

How frequently do you have to adjust and/or maintenance the extended travel coilovers?

#15 ·
I've had mine for about 3 years. I set the ride height and haven't touched them since.

I did have one leak that was 2 months out of warranty, but icon took care of me and rebuild that one for free.

All in all I love my setup, although I did break one of my rear icon shocks yesterday. I haven't had time to pull it and see what actually broke. It looks like the piston rod snapped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.