TTORA Forum banner

Ohlins Coilovers

12K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Tacitos 
#1 ·
Hey I just bought these off ebay from a guy in Stockholm Sweden, anyone else run them?

See less See more
#2 ·
They make aftermarket CO's for atvs and bikes. Had no idea they made any for vehicles esp Tacomas. Run the hell out of them and give us some thoughts on how you think they performed on/off road. Did you get a deal?

-Chris

#3 ·
havent hear of anyone having them on a truck, but they make awsome dirt bike shocks. I would love to have a set of these, let us know how they work out for you.

#5 ·
all right..... the EBAY line is B.S., i was hoping for some high strung reactions:xdevil: from the mods....
They were custom built by a close friend at Ohlins USA, took 6 months of waiting, but they look like they'll be worth it. I'm excited to try them out. Should have the truck back together in a week or so, no wheelin around these parts for at least a month though.

#14 · (Edited)
Interesting, I wouldn't mind getting a set for the rear of my truck. Can you ask your friend if Ohlins can make me a set of 2.0 ( I'm assuming that yours are 2.0's as well) with a 10 inch stroke?
Right now it is experimental, my buddy will be putting a set on his 04' TRD soon. The cost is prabably a bit prohibitive, (about $1k per coilover) most on this forum would say it was crazy, and just save up for SAS. Once the bugs are worked out of ours, I would bet they could build what you want, but I don't forsee them "stocking" prebuilt shocks for these trucks. I am happy to be fortunate enough to be part of the experiment, and look forward to testing them out. I will post my impressions once the truck is back together.
I don't have too many particulars on the shocks right now. But the bodies are 46 mm, 16mm shaft, 90 newton spring rate,(friggin metric system!)overall length is about 10mm" longer than stock.

#16 · (Edited)
Edited for clarification:

No disrespect, but the desert is about 3000 miles from here.The shaft is a 16mm its good enough for the Dakar and the Isuzu Europe Team. . .
I don't think I will even come close to those shaft speeds in the Maine Forest.
These are literally a first draft. If I do manage to break them, we'll try something else, I've been instructed to abuse them. :)

#19 ·
Those shocks do look pretty cool...what is in the lower rod end? it doesn't look like a spherical bearing...

I agree, I think the shafts will be just fine...
There is a bearing in there, there is a seal between it and the bushings (not shown) felt like neoprene.

Tinkertoy: I sent you a PM

#22 ·
I don't think so. Maybe they use the same printing machine:) They have a distributor somewhere in Sweden I believe. From what I'm told the quality control is second to none on these springs. Every lot of springs is tested. Samples are taken and put through testing, if any spring fails, the whole lot fails.

#24 ·
Compression and rebound adjustable? I have used their struts on cars and run their shock and forks on my Aprilia, best quality around. About the only thing close are the Penske's. $1k per side is probably a little low. The rear shock on my Aprilia is $1200 on it is way smaller than those babies.

#25 ·
Yes, the compression and rebound are adjustable, My pricing quote was a rough guesstimate

#26 ·
Question about Pre-load

To all of you running CO's out there. Do you guys recall how much preload you had to put on your springs to end up around 2.5" - 3" of lift? We need to get some stiffer springs on these, and I am trying to decide how much we'll need to preload them, and make sure the spring has the right amount of travel to match the shock.
Its a 4cyl Ex-cab, 4x4, w\about 180#-230# worth of winch and armor, we are leaning towards something in the 650# range now...
Thanks for any info
Tacoed

#28 · (Edited)
First Impressions

Well, I ended up putting about 40mm of pre-load on the springs I have. The truck has been on stands for a month and I need the vehicle.
No wheeling yet but the roads around here are rough as hell, and the thing rides great, feels planted and solid. No wheel hop across the potholes, and frost heaves. I won't wheel it till the new springs show up. I still need to install my new skids anyway.
By the way I installed AP 3" leaves in the back, and the valving in the shocks seems to be working well with them, the ride is firm but in no way harsh.

Rear is sitting low, still need to relocate rear hangers...

Aaron

#31 ·
Pflueger utilizes Ohlins on his #28 Monster TT. I think he used it for most if not ALL of CORR and a few SCORE and BITD the past 16 months.

#32 ·
3 weeks later....

After ordering and waiting for the 700#'s, found out they don't make that spring anymore, or the distributor couldn't get them. Got 650#'s instead, they were in stock. Got the coils swapped out, great ride with 650#'s. Ended up with about 28mm of preload. Still have 42mm of downtravel in the shock, should be good to go.

#33 ·
Little Update

Got about 1000 miles on the suspension so far, (6 wheeling trips). Been real happy with it so far. Had the rears revalved last week. Now back to adjusting the dampening. Went out today do a little R&D, also tried the sway bar discos I built 6 months ago:rolleyes: . Plan on relocating rear shocks, and putting them both behind the axle, (they are a little long).. Thanks to Dan for the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.