TTORA Forum banner

stripped spark plug holes

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals!

I bought my 97 4runner sr5 at 210k. within 5k, spark plug number 4 popped RIGHT not of the engine. SEVERAL colorful words and a 3 day weekend later, I got a helicoil in and was in business (was my first time ever doing anything like that, so it took me a while to feel comfortable enough to tap into my block.

Another 15k miles down the road, plug 1 popped out of its home and fried the ignition coil in the process. this time i paid a shop to do it (AutoStop in Chico, CA. Am fairly happy with their service).

Question is: have any of you dealt with this issue, heard of this issue before? From those I've talked to, this is a FORD issue, not toyota.

Thanks in advance.
e

#3 ·
Yup, this will happen. For some it is caused by over-torquing and stripping out the threads. Others see the issue from under-torquing and the plug backing out. So like Scuba said, torque properly. I use a dab of anti-seize on the threads to keep them from galling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.