TTORA Forum banner

Winter Time Mainenance.

3K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  blown4runner 
#1 · (Edited)
You know how we all sometimes get together, get smashed and break out our tools? :p

I was thinking .....it could be "Super-Duper":kewl: if we all got together sometime and do like a checklist of easy maintenance things on one anothers trucks.

I'm sure we could even find some actual mechanic type checklists somewhere....

What I mean is ....say we have like 10 vehicles lined up, and all of us members do a brief "walk around" , 1 vehicle at a time and do a visual inspection and check things like batteries, fluids etc...

Like if we had a bunch of us focus on one truck ...check it out, make suggestions, fix easy things and just give it a once over ....then do like a quick write up of things/projects for the future .....then everyone go to the next truck ....and so on...

Here's some of my reasons for bringing this up:

1)Everyone would have a better idea of the vehicles they were going out with. For example, how much you "know" about your offroading partners vehicle the better....
2)It ensures that all of us "Club" members are rolling safe and sound around town ...I mean ...if someone needs a quart of oil or something...I'd like to help bring that stuff to people's attention ....and likewise...would appreciate it being brought to mine.
3)It's a great learning experience for noobs like me, I mean I learn something new about my truck everytime I hang out with you guys ...I also learn EVEN MORE about your trucks that I find VERY interesting and helpful.
4)With Winter upon us, it's always good to check out your truck and look for things like cracked hoses etc...it's even better to stay active and do things "wheeling" related than getting your BMW in a wreck or ....ahem...your truck in adverse conditions. :p
5)If everyone had a short list of everyone else's "Projects" it would be awesome ...I mean...if I came across something that someone else needed it would be way easier to remember and identify that person and give 'em the hook up.
6)I just think we should stay pro-active and get as much exposure to our vehicles as possible. Knowledge is power ....otherwise I'll probably wind up getting bombed WAY to much ....oh wait.....too late.

What are your thoughts ....and does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or is this idea just :xrainbow:

See less See more
#2 ·
MuddButt said:
You know how we all sometimes get together, get smashed and break out our tools? :p

I was thinking .....it could be "Super-Duper":kewl: if we all got together sometime and do like a checklist of easy maintenance things on one anothers trucks.

I'm sure we could even find some actual mechanic type checklists somewhere....

What I mean is ....say we have like 10 vehicles lined up, and all of us members do a brief "walk around" , 1 vehicle at a time and do a visual inspection and check things like batteries, fluids etc...

Like if we had a bunch of us focus on one truck ...check it out, make suggestions, fix easy things and just give it a once over ....then do like a quick write up of things/projects for the future .....then everyone go to the next truck ....and so on...

Here's some of my reasons for bringing this up:

1)Everyone would have a better idea of the vehicles they were going out with. For example, how much you "know" about your offroading partners vehicle the better....
2)It ensures that all of us "Club" members are rolling safe and sound around town ...I mean ...if someone needs a quart of oil or something...I'd like to help bring that stuff to people's attention ....and likewise...would appreciate it being brought to mine.
3)It's a great learning experience for noobs like me, I mean I learn something new about my truck everytime I hang out with you guys ...I also learn EVEN MORE about your trucks that I find VERY interesting and helpful.
4)With Winter upon us, it's always good to check out your truck and look for things like cracked hoses etc...it's even better to stay active and do things "wheeling" related than getting your BMW in a wreck or ....ahem...your truck in adverse conditions. :p
5)If everyone had a short list of everyone else's "Projects" it would be awesome ...I mean...if I came across something that someone else needed it would be way easier to remember and identify that person and give 'em the hook up.
6)I just think we should stay pro-active and get as much exposure to our vehicles as possible. Knowledge is power ....otherwise I'll probably wind up getting bombed WAY to much ....oh wait.....too late.

What are your thoughts ....and does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or is this idea just :xrainbow:
My former club did this. I wasn't able to make it, but the one's who made it said it was a good idea.

#4 ·
um, ok... I am filing this with MuddButts drunk ideas. But I have about 5 different check lists, none of which are over anyones heads here. And as long as no one brings their leaking out of every orfice 22R pick ups I'm more than up for drunk group idiocracy. At least this is something I do for a living (not installing lift kits in Molly's garage... sorry), maybe I can even out shine Rich this time around. So, yeah... I'm up for just about whatever

#5 ·
blown4runner said:
um, ok... I am filing this with MuddButts drunk ideas. But I have about 5 different check lists, none of which are over anyones heads here. And as long as no one brings their leaking out of every orfice 22R pick ups I'm more than up for drunk group idiocracy. At least this is something I do for a living (not installing lift kits in Molly's garage... sorry), maybe I can even out shine Rich this time around. So, yeah... I'm up for just about whatever
aww ya mean you don't wanna look at my 22R, lmao

#6 ·
how about doing two events like this? Either on different days (sat and sun) and or different locations? (north denver and castle rock/csprings?)

Maybe do it in conjunction with our winter trail event planning meeting?

Rich, honey, Molly, sweetie...give the beemer a kiss for me.

#8 ·
blown4runner said:
thought you had a 22RE... and either way if its leaking from every orfice don't try to make me determine the point of origin... ;)
Nope its a R, its an 84. lol im just kiddin, it actually runs pretty good but i need some 5.29's to turn those 37's a lil better :D

#13 · (Edited)
I'm way in. I wantto check all my fluids and am emmbarrased to say I am not sure what can be checked and how... ya know? Also going through and tightening stuff down is ALWAYS a good idea. Andy mentioned that pretty much all you need are a 10 and 12 mm wrench handy at all times for stuff like that. Maybe we just find a good parking lot in South Denver and then we can all do it together. I'll offer my garage though if it's too cold. Maybe this will just be our daytime x-mas party. :D

A few more things to check aside from fluids and bolts:
*Alignment
*Toe for any SAS rigs
*Steering health
*Irregular Tire wear

#14 ·
Man you are obsessed with your alignment angles... There are other things that have just as much if not more importance. And as far as Andy's concerned, he left out a 14mm. Depending on what we are inspecting we may not need that many or may need more. I've got "free multi-point inspection" sheets and check lists for 5K, 15K and 30K services. And that is for your guys reference. inspections are pretty easy. I'd recommend your garage depending on what we are looking at. I don't know if everyone wants to be out crawling under their trucks in a parking lot. So yeah... just let me know when and where :D

A few basics I check on vehs that come through the shop:
*fluid levels (ie: brake, coolant, power steering, washer, etc.)
*brake readings
*tire wear
*leaks
*battery voltage (I have a tester)
*loose components
*any signs of sludge or other markers to a slowly deteriorating motor
*any abnormal noises
*any other problems that may be veh/driveline specific (ie: leaking w/pump on the 5VZ-FE)
*etc...

#16 ·
Ok that's 5 people so far ....let's run down the tools, fluids, etc that should be brought.

Remeber in elementary school when one kid would bring napkins ...another would bring cups etc ...to like a b'day party ....let's have each person bring something for everyone.

#19 ·
K I gotta see if I am not making a Steamboat run to see Darrick Saturday Day. Then didn't we want to do a snow run Sunday? I dunno. Maybe we do the maint chit all on Sunday at my place.

#20 ·
I want to roll friday when I pick up my truck, saturday in the springs, sunday up by you, Monday anywhere, tuesday anywhere, wednesday where ever, thursday ...well....I have one or two more xmas presents I need to pick up ...but you get the idea.:wiggle:

#21 ·
Oh man you and I and spindleshanks are gonna wheel the chit outta our trucks next week :D

#23 ·
Fine. Lets do it. Hope it does not snow too much. I beter get my winch on Friday. I hope because I am gonna need it to pull your ass outa some sticky situation somewhere's....

#24 · (Edited)
Let's Plan some runs in advance, and or research some EASY areas to go to.....I want to be prepared in advance with like a ...plan....LOL.

Remember I want to take it easy until I get sliders and diff armor on.

So you can waste your breath trying to convince me Lefthand Canyon is " no problem " ...but remember ...you guys showed me that run already ...LMAO

#25 ·
Lysmachia said:
K I gotta see if I am not making a Steamboat run to see Darrick Saturday Day. Then didn't we want to do a snow run Sunday? I dunno. Maybe we do the maint chit all on Sunday at my place.
my fawking gawd molly... I thought we were partying on Sat night? But nevermind then... I have no clue about whats going on... And whenever, but some of us do have jobs and Sun night up in erie sounds like a late night... But I guess. I just need to know when this shindig id going down so I know when I need to pick up the parts :cool:

#26 ·
MuddButt said:
Let's Plan some runs in advance, and or research some EASY areas to go to.....I want to be prepared in advance with like a ...plan....LOL.

Remember I want to take it easy until I get sliders and diff armor on.

So you can waste your breath trying to convince me Lefthand Canyon is " no problem " ...but remember ...you guys showed me that run already ...LMAO
Left Hand Canyon is no problem.... its Carnage ya gotta worry about. My sliders are in, but yeah... um I don't have the time or the extra veh to leave mine all day while they weld them up... damn :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.