first jobs - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

first jobs

Im going to get my first job, and I just wanted to hear some stories or some places good to work at... I have never had time because of school and lacrosse, but my season is ending and summer is coming and i need money to pay for my insurance...

Im thinking of working at firestone tires, but if i dont get there i want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

anyways, Im just bored, being 12:30 dosent help, and i have a lacrosse game in 10 hours.
-David

"Obsession is only a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacto View Post
Im going to get my first job, and I just wanted to hear some stories or some places good to work at... I have never had time because of school and lacrosse, but my season is ending and summer is coming and i need money to pay for my insurance...

Im thinking of working at firestone tires, but if i dont get there i want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

anyways, Im just bored, being 12:30 dosent help, and i have a lacrosse game in 10 hours.
-David
my first paying job was buckin' hay for $1.75/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

My first job was working at Thrifty's Drug Store (now Rite Aid). I was the Ice Cream Boy. That job kicked major butt. TONS of ice cream. Yeah, I had to work stock in a retail store, and that wasn't too much fun. But there was ice cream, so it was all OK.

Having the insanely high metabolism that I did (do), I never gained weight from the pint-a-day consumption schedule I enacted upon my employment with Thrifty. It's a shame I don't have access to so much ice cream at my current job. ...though putting a soft-serve machine, ice box, or freezer in the helicopter would definitely cut down on the cabin space.

As for your job: get something you like. It may sound cliche, but no matter how "cool" a job may look, if it's not doing something that you enjoy doing up to 40 hours a week, you should really keep looking.

But, finding a job you like that ALSO has sweet employee discounts isn't too shabby a goal.

Man, I love ice cream,
-Radar

2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD TRD. Grey wire mod, Donahoe Extended-travel Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, OME Dakar Leaf Springs, Donahoe Rear-reservoir Shocks, Goodrich front & rear brake lines, Tundra front brakes, ARB bull bar, IPF 968cs driving lights, Delta bed box, Warn M8000 winch, Demello rock crusher sliders, Safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, Viair constant duty compressor & tank kit, Demello hybrid rear bumper, CS-144 alternator, CB radio, lots of other goodies.

My other ride hovers.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to (Flexion)
Arrow

Don't work for a tire place, that is, unless you don't want to be able to pick up your grandchildren. Yeah, you may get sick discounts, but that is horrible work.

Costco is a nice place to work. They pay pretty well but they don't take shit from anybody. They don't give you discounts, but you will get a free premium membership (woopdee doo).

I worked for UPS for a couple years. You'll lose weight and get real buff, but the preload shift starts at 3:00 A.M. and runs to about 9:00 A.M. Forget the possibility of any nightlife. It's good if you're an insomniac and love lifting weights at three in the morning.

I work for Best Buy right now and love it. It is my highest-paying job thus far and you get awesome discounts. They have positions for those who are not necessarily salesmen (like me) where you work behind the scenes in shipping, receiving, merchandising, etc.

Just don't forget that school always comes first.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Interex
My first job was selling newspapers in front of a grocery store. Worked the weekends and made $50 on a good day but that was a lot for me at 13 years old.

I would recommend working in any type of electronics retail. After you've worked a complete year (including the holidays), you'll relize that you never want to work in retail again. Helps to motivate you to finish school and get a real career. If you want to sit down all day, look at any call centers in your area. I currently work for an outsourcer. The job is easy for agents, all they do is just sit there and answer customer questions. You'll get the pissed ones but eventually learn to deal with them.

Stay away from any type of manual labor jobs (shop/tire place). I'm a weekend roughneck but would never do it 8a-5p.

Harold
'15 Tundra CrewMax Limited 5.7L
'94 Toyota Supra Turbo PT76-GTS, Auto->6 speed
4X4 Conversion Thread

Last edited by Interex; 04-14-2007 at 03:18 AM.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to TimberWolfTaco
I just got my 1st job workin at an ATV repair shop, go check that out

2000 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
-3.4l V6 5 Speed
-3 Inch Body Lift
-33" Summit Mud Dawgs
-15" Mikey Tohmpson Classic Locks
-Advantag Max 4 Camo Interior
-Tool Box, Running Boards, Stickers, Other Small Shit
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 AM

my first job was a lifeguard. decent pay, nice scenery, and you get to be outside all day.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 AM
STITCH - Come and Take it!

Garage
Talking

First job was the paperboy for the daily, weekend and the Sunday NYTimes. Did that for 6 odd years. Then my first job out of College, I did retail & UPS (loader & unloader of the semis at their hub) - did that for about 3/4 year before getting my first engineering job as a Process Engineer (still made shit). But learned as much as possible, until I knew I could market myself for a better job and company.

The retail stuff I did was OfficeMax & Bed Bath & BEyond - good for office supplies and home stuff. UPS, it was fun to be paid to work out.

If I had to do it again, and if they were around when i was growing up, I would work at a Best Buy or any auto-parts store (Autozone, etc.). I would pick a place to work that you feel that you would enjoy and can do a decent job.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Ciao! - - Nathan
South Central-TTORA Regional Director of TX, AR, MO, KS & OK.
The "UN"-Official TTORA Welcomer
WOOKIE - '01 Tacoma DCab (some mods - click here)
'00 BMW Z3 (more mods) + '12 MINI Countryman ALL4 (NO mods)
Have fun and do not wheel alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon55 View Post
i have to say i'd like to be the first person to jack off on your garage floor....
www.Z3POWER.net
TTORA Member since Nov 18, 2005 - - TLCA Member since June 4, 2008 - - EX-PO Member since Nov 18, 2005
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 AM

My first real paying job was at a golf course, on the maintnence crew. The hours were great 6:00-2:30 they fed us at the club everyday, and when the day was over I had a good portion of the afternoon left to work for my dad and my uncle. The best advice I can give you is work your ass off during the summer, and put that money back so you can take it easy during the school year.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
TTORA SoCal

My first "real" job was at In-N-Out burger. Bad ass job, good money, free fattening food, and usually some hotties working there. They were usually $2 above minimum wage to start too, so $9.25 to start out here in Cali.

TTORA SoCal
2006 4Runner Sport Edition
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I sold fruit and vegetables on the side of the road for a local truck gardener.

The only advice I got was tell them that "I am selling them cheap!"

Wally
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 AM
and weeeeeeee

Send a message via MSN to Big-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
my first paying job was buckin' hay for $1.75/hr
lol....was that when a shave and shine where 2 bits

My first job was a paperboy in Indiana......I bought my first moeped with the money I earned

[FONT="Times New Roman"]-Anthony
[FONT="Times New Roman"] Rock Whores OG3
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3000 View Post
lol....was that when a shave and shine where 2 bits
I think I've read about those days in old history books. Was that back when you had to hand carve your own tread in your mud wheels if you knew you were going to be traveling the Oregon Trail during the winter? And if your wagon broke an axle, it would take a couple months for the telegram to reach the axle manufacturer and then get the part to you? Kinda like 4 Wheel Parts today?

Back to the OP, if you have any desire to work with people, start calling hotels in your local area. Summer months are very busy and they are usually looking to hire even temp. summer help to work the front desk or as a bellman (work bellman and you can walk around, get some exercise lifting bags and probably make decent tips.) You can't let peoples' attitudes get under your skin easily, but you will open up a lot and get a lot of confidence with talking to people, solving problems and thinking on your feet! I started at the front desk, got a couple promotions up to salaried management and did some hiring. As long as you have a smile and a willingness to help, listen and talk to guests, you should get hired! (those are keywords highlighted to drop in an interview.)

Good luck!!
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
and weeeeeeee

Send a message via MSN to Big-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathBlazerTRD View Post
I think I've read about those days in old history books. Was that back when you had to hand carve your own tread in your mud wheels if you knew you were going to be traveling the Oregon Trail during the winter? And if your wagon broke an axle, it would take a couple months for the telegram to reach the axle manufacturer and then get the part to you? Kinda like 4 Wheel Parts today?

Good luck!!

Yeap those where the days

[FONT="Times New Roman"]-Anthony
[FONT="Times New Roman"] Rock Whores OG3
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Retired

My first job was commercial fishing, gill-netting, in Alaska. Long, challenging days and crappy pay, but it was outside.

Next job was deckhanding on halibut charters, and that was much better. Shorter days, easier work, better pay, a little less dangerous.

Get a job on a charter boat. Nothing else like blue water, blue skies, and fish on the deck.

-Thomas

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexion
I worked for UPS for a couple years. You'll lose weight and get real buff, but the preload shift starts at 3:00 A.M. and runs to about 9:00 A.M. Forget the possibility of any nightlife. It's good if you're an insomniac and love lifting weights at three in the morning.

Just don't forget that school always comes first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJASYOTA View Post
Then my first job out of College, I did retail & UPS (loader & unloader of the semis at their hub) - did that for about 3/4 year.

The retail stuff I did was OfficeMax & Bed Bath & BEyond - good for office supplies and home stuff. UPS, it was fun to be paid to work out.

If I had to do it again, and if they were around when i was growing up, I would work at a Best Buy or any auto-parts store (Autozone, etc.). I would pick a place to work that you feel that you would enjoy and can do a decent job.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
x3 on the shipping job. It wasn't my first though. I worked at FedEx Ground doing preload for about a year. Pretty good job, I worked my way up from unloading, to loading the deliv trucks, and then to driving the switcher (yard truck).

Retail would prob. be the best. I've had several friends work at Best Buy too. My first few jobs include a movie theater, Krogers (grocery store), and Home Depot (many diff jobs). But you gotta find something you like.

JASON

R.I.P??? 1998 Taco XT Cab 2.7.....Perhaps not!!!
King's ~ Alcans ~ 5150's ~ Locked F/R ~ Precision 4.56 ~ DR UCA's
33/12.50 Goodyear Duratracs ~ Flat Black Pro Comp Steelies

Long gone: 1994 4-Runner, no mods

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 10:31 AM

First: Worked for a friend of my grandfather's at his tool shop stocking shelves and eventually was the mover when he decided to move the toolstore in with his pawn shop.

Worked at the Ballpark in Arlington in the concessions warehouse. Stocked warehouse and concession stands. Drove the forklift a bit, carted orders to thes stands. Even became a supervisor.

In offseason of my last year at the ballpark worked at American Airlines Center doing the same thing, same company ran concessions.

Transferred 3 1/2 hours away to another college, went into tech support for a crappy company that cared more about the quarterly profits than its employees.

Now with a different company that cares about its employees, still doing tech support.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacto View Post
I want to work somewhere were i can do manual labor, not just sit down the whole day.

-David
Both have full benefits + tuition reembursement.
Used to work for UPS now FedEx

FedEx starts at over $11
UPS will have you making around $11 by the end of your first year.

You need to be 18.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 11:02 AM
THAT guy.

Send a message via Yahoo to SAR_Squid79
My first job was working with my dad on our farm from when I was 7 until I was 17 for $5 an hour. (10 years without a raise!!)

When I was 17 I started working for my friend's dad's Landscaping business for $18 an hour! (sorry dad)

...when I was 18 I joined the Navy so I wouldn't have to get a job!

~Jamie
2000 Tacoma TRD 4WD PreRunner
Supercharged. Locked. Armored.

Mountain: She can crawl it.
Ass: She can haul it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need . . . roads."
~Dr. Emmett L. Brown

My Rig My Trailer 4xInnovations
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BEN_ View Post
Both have full benefits + tuition reembursement.
Used to work for UPS now FedEx

FedEx starts at over $11
UPS will have you making around $11 by the end of your first year.

You need to be 18.
I started with UPS in the preload, and I'm still with them 23 years later as a full time driver. I found that working those hours (3am-8am) left me tired during the day, which made going to school difficult. I never could get used to it. Now, I'm not budging from my day shift. I could get a cushy feeder job if I wanted to work nights again.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to peekay331
Quote:
I would recommend working in any type of electronics retail. After you've worked a complete year (including the holidays), you'll relize that you never want to work in retail again. Helps to motivate you to finish school and get a real career.
amen to that. i worked at best buy one summer and after seeing the guys there try to make a career out of it, i knew i had to hit the books hard. retail blows hard unless you're in high school.

also, i would avoid manual labor type jobs not only bc of the health reasons but bc you'll always be competing with cheap immigrant labor that will only get cheaper.

http://community.webshots.com/user/peekay331
http://community.webshots.com/user/peekay330
2001 D-cab 4x4 TRD
32" BFG AT on 589's
King coilovers
Alcan springs
Bilstein 5150's
1.5 bodylift
ARB bumper
Demello sliders
RDS auxiliary fuel tank/tool box
Bel air shell
Garmin 2610 gps and Gpsmap 76
Extremeair 3/4 hp knockoff
motojackrack
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3000 View Post

Yeap those where the days

yea, and gas for my '65 Stang was something like $.32/gal

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to mile9SoCounty Send a message via Yahoo to mile9SoCounty
My first job was bucking hay for 2cents a bail. First real employment though was with the Oregon DFPA, wildland firefighting. Great ol times too.

Hillbilly Mafia Race Team, Vice Prez.
'79 Toya PU that broke down.
'87 4Runner Project Hillbilly.
'79 Burb 3/4 w 38.5 Bogs.
http://www.ottora.com
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u8/mile9socounty/
+ = happy

South County if you aint know, you aint needed to ask.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile9SoCounty View Post
My first job was bucking hay for 2cents a bail. First real employment though was with the Oregon DFPA, wildland firefighting. Great ol times too.
LOL, another 'red neck'
I wound up with 15# of muscle just on my shoulders in a month or so.
Paid for gas, tires and Ins for my car ...the important things at the age of 17, LOL

Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Exacto, my first 'real' job was and still is working at the local grocery store. I think it is Von's for you down there? anyways, I have been there for 15 months now and love it. Get to see everyone in town when they come to shop and actually get raises every 540 hours. Best of all, they work around your schedule for school. That sounds like a prority for you and def. is for me. good luck

-Alex

"maps cannot contain me"

You be the search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by =ToferUOP= View Post
I'm wheelin the shit out of this golf cart. It needs a locker real bad... Maybe I should break into the machine shop and weld the diff.
"INFIDEL"
100% AMERICAN
Official V-P of IUAII
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Eats Own Boogers

My first job was at a cemetery. I had thousands of people under me and folks were just dying to get in.

The cemetery was located across the street from my high school. I manipulated my class schedule so that I had my last two hours open. I would walk out the back door of the school, hop the fence and be at work. The school also had a program that allowed me to get a class credit for the job.

I also get a deal on a plot.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra 4X4 RCSB 5.7L
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
My first job was at a cemetery. I had thousands of people under me and folks were just dying to get in.....

I also get a deal on a plot.
ROFL
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

My first job was cleaning rental fishing boats and and working the dock at Irvine Lake.
**I was fired saving a mans life...A co worker and I performed CPR on a man who fell off his boat and drowned. Lake mgr said we were a liability and was concerned about a legal actions.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 03:48 PM

i'm still working my first job. just doing filing/misc. stuff for an eye doctor's office

1994 4runner..... its got some stuff
2001 dbl cab tacoma.... its also got some stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianbro View Post
I've come to the conclusion that you either haven't hit puberty or you never did and your balls never descended from your body.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94runner View Post
i'm still working my first job. just doing filing/misc. stuff for an eye doctor's office
that was my exact first job in high school (besides mowing lawns when i was little.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode