Front coil springs rubbing bump stops? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Front coil springs rubbing bump stops?

I have a '97 FZJ80 w/Slee 4" front coil spring and bump stop extensions. When the suspension compresses the inside of the front coil springs rub the steel lip on the bump stops, this happens on both the passenger and driver sides. Do you just grind them down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vistataco
Quote:
Originally Posted by razr View Post
I have a '97 FZJ80 w/Slee 4" front coil spring and bump stop extensions. When the suspension compresses the inside of the front coil springs rub the steel lip on the bump stops, this happens on both the passenger and driver sides. Do you just grind them down?
I had the same issue with my FOR 3.5" lift. I just removed the metal sleeve and the noise is gone.

So-Cal Staff Member STFU and WHEEL!!!

- 1997 Lexus LX450 Locked F/R, F.O.R. 3.5" coils with 7100's, 35" BFG KM2, DO sliders, DO bumpers, 4.88's, Yaesu 7900 (KJ6VCY), Superwinch 9500, and other do-dads. (Satin black)
2011 Lexus GS350 Pearl White (DD)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 AM

I took my rig out again to test out my most recent fender trimmings today, and, the trimming was quite successful, no rubbing! But... A familiar sound was still present which I thought was my tread lugs hitting my fenders, but I discovered that when either side of the front end is extended to the max, my coils (not only are removed from contact at the top) but are severely rubbing on my bumpstops/spring perches, not sure what to call them, but the large tubular peice that comes down through the center of the spring.Is this something to be concerned about, or is there a way to remedy the problem?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmartin199030 View Post
I took my rig out again to test out my most recent fender trimmings today, and, the trimming was quite successful, no rubbing! But... A familiar sound was still present which I thought was my tread lugs hitting my fenders, but I discovered that when either side of the front end is extended to the max, my coils (not only are removed from contact at the top) but are severely rubbing on my bumpstops/spring perches, not sure what to call them, but the large tubular peice that comes down through the center of the spring.Is this something to be concerned about, or is there a way to remedy the problem?
if its over extending get some limit straps and it will stop the coil from coming out of its seating and should stop the rubbing if youset the limit stap to the right lengh

Awesome $33 PVC snorkel
Diff Breathers front and rear
KC 55w flood reverse light
Mickey Thompson classic lock II 15x8
Cooper SST 33 12.50 15
All-Pro 3" standard leafs
Rear 5125's
SAW 2.0s 650#
EBC Rotors and Green stuff Pads
SS brake lines front and rear
ECGS front 4.56 open
OEM rebuilt CVs from CVJ
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

yep, limit the suspension with straps. It will take care of that problem.

Drive Harder, Faster, Safer & keep it rubber side down!

https://www.facebook.com/LandPiratesOffRoad
Landpiratesoffroad.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I ground down the lip on the bump stop cup. Just on the front where it rubbed.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode