Re-arcing old saggy springs? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Re-arcing old saggy springs?

My '99 has some saggy arse springs, and I was wondering if it was worth it to re-arch. Would it be smarter to just purchase new springs? I live in Hawaii and shipping is $$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 AM
concussed

i rearch my springs when they need it.about 50some dollars for both.
and if you need lift,they can give you a few inches too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YUNADERIS Send a message via Yahoo to YUNADERIS
get new springs...the stock springs are worth your time

alcan makes some good springs, pricey though
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUNADERIS
get new springs...the stock springs are worth your time

alcan makes some good springs, pricey though
The spring shop over here wants $230 for a re-arch and an add-a-leaf inserted. New springs are like $500+ a couple hundred for shipping to Hawaii. So, I'm on the fence. I appreciate all the input. I love these smilies.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Extra Cab Double Bed

Yunny is correct, those stock springs freaking suck. I went through two sets until I switched to chevy springs and I am never going back. Longer is better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:28 PM
GRUMPY SOB!!

See if your local spring shop can replace the leafs with thinner ones and add a couple more to them. It might come out cheaper than buying new ones from the main land and having them shiped.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if mine are too far gone or not. The spring shop takes about two hours to get to, so they haven't had a chance to look at them yet. The rear bumpstops are constantly hitting the frame while off-roading with about 200lbs of stuff in the back(including the shell). The rear springs are supposed to resemble the letter "S", right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

I had my leaf springs re-arched on my 96 about 4 years ago.

I would recommend finding new springs if you can - or atleast compare the costs of new springs versus re-arching.

My re-arching cost about $300- that included installation and 2 extra leafs for each pak.

If you go with the re-arching process...most definately get atleast ONE extra leaf made at the same time (with the same arch). The extra leaf or leafs will help prevent sagging (over time) and will also give the leaf pak more support for hauling/more weight in the bed. The ride will be stiffer.... but atleast now you can haul A LOT more shit back there. I'd fill up my truck with mulch to the top rails and it hardly dropped any.

Talk to the guys at the spring shop - cuz I'm sure its different than mine was 4 years ago.

When I had the re-arching done - I asked for a 2" lift. When it was done and we picked it up - I was like..WTF???. The truck had about 3.5" and I was worried it woudln't settle down (kinda looked funny with 1.5" lift up front). I had to install 2.5 degree shims to get rid of driveline vibes. After a month or so, it settled down to be about 2.5" of lift and has been there ever since.

Good Luck!

All my children....
http://www.lieblweb.com/Jansters07Avatar.jpg
"Jandy"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 PM

What shop did you use?
Did you check any other shops in the area? I haven't started looking yet.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster
I had my leaf springs re-arched on my 96 about 4 years ago.

I would recommend finding new springs if you can - or atleast compare the costs of new springs versus re-arching.

My re-arching cost about $300- that included installation and 2 extra leafs for each pak.

If you go with the re-arching process...most definately get atleast ONE extra leaf made at the same time (with the same arch). The extra leaf or leafs will help prevent sagging (over time) and will also give the leaf pak more support for hauling/more weight in the bed. The ride will be stiffer.... but atleast now you can haul A LOT more shit back there. I'd fill up my truck with mulch to the top rails and it hardly dropped any.

Talk to the guys at the spring shop - cuz I'm sure its different than mine was 4 years ago.

When I had the re-arching done - I asked for a 2" lift. When it was done and we picked it up - I was like..WTF???. The truck had about 3.5" and I was worried it woudln't settle down (kinda looked funny with 1.5" lift up front). I had to install 2.5 degree shims to get rid of driveline vibes. After a month or so, it settled down to be about 2.5" of lift and has been there ever since.

Good Luck!
Thanks for all the awesome info! The shop here quoted me $230 with an add-a-leaf installed, not too bad. When you take into account the cost of shipping leaf springs here to Hawaii 2nd day air (due to other fact that there isn't ground shipping) plus $500 for the springs; the re-arch starts sounding better and better. The jury is still out, I'm sure I'll post when I finally get everything together.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode