TTORA Forum banner

Sas double cab bump steer

5K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  garner 
#1 ·
I have looked and looked I need some help. Not sure where to start. Truck drives fine till you hit uneven pavement or bump or something.

#2 ·
have hydro assist?
if the steering system isn't completely purged of air bubbles...and I mean completely...you'll get a wobble hitting a bump at mild speeds.

#4 ·
Worn bushings? High steer? Drag link angle? Worn tres? Worn box? Bad tires?

Also, check but you also want slight toe in (front or tires closer togethrt than the rear)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
yea, check toe first...easy to do in your driveway.
I'd at least add a steering stabilizer to the mix...what I had before Hydro went on.

#8 ·
What I use...

you can make up a set of 'jigs' for this.

need: 2 nice and straight pieces of wood...I used quality 3/4" plywood...about
2" x42" for a 35" tire and 2 pcs of same width by wheel diameter (mine are 15") These do need to be good and straight at least along the 3/4" line which is why I used good plywood for this...more stable then solid wood.

glue & clamp the 15" pieces to the 42s at about the mid point of the 42, 3/4" edge to 3/4" edge, making one 1 jig for each side. ___-----___

one bungee cord each side to attach jigs to wheels.

the 15" section edge goes flat against the wheel rim so the 42" stands out from the tire.

get the front axle up on jack stands so wheels turn freely.

bungee the jigs across the outside of each wheel/tire at wheel center, approx.

measure with tape measure from outside of jig left/right both front and rear of tires and compare. toe-in around 1/8" is supposed to be ideal for 35" tires, slightly more for larger but no more than 1/4". (from Pirate)

loosen tie rod jam nuts so you can turn TR for toe in/toe out. It doesn't take much movement of the TR to change the toe so finesse is your friend :p

tighten jam nuts and re-check.

I also try to take out as much play as possible between the two TR ends so the TR doesn't really move much when the nuts are torqued down. (grab the TR and try to turn it up/down) Too much play will add to a wobble problem...at least it does in my case.

Phil, how do you adjust yours?

#10 ·
General consensus is 4-6* positive caster with 1/8" toe in will give about the best drivability.
I'm at 3/16" toe in and 6*. My truck tracks straight and true, tires wear great. No death wobble. It does need a steering stabilizer because the wheel will give me bumpsteer feedback, but that's normal. A stabilizer will only cushion the bumpsteer.

#14 ·
then all you can adjust is toe. camber and caster set when knuckles rotated during axle build

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.