TTORA Forum banner

Help 85 Toyota pickup short Barfield won't go in.

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  acisne45 
#1 ·
We replaced the seals and the long Barfield bar went right in. The short one gets stuck right at the ball joint. If you put it straight it gets stuck on something. It goes in slightly deeper if we angles it up or down, one of those I can't remember but regardless it still not enough to go in to the differential. I have looked up videos but I'm assuming this is a huge problem for everyone because I can only find videos on the big bar which is easy. For a second we thought the axle might be bent but when we look at other pictures on the Internet of new ones it appears they are both slightly slanted so I'm assuming it's fine. The only other thing I could think of doing is taking it apart from the ball joint but than it would go to far in to the differential so I don't think that would work. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Can you attach some pictures to show us where it's stopping? Is it just the bell of the birfield that's not going into the knuckle ball? Do you have the flats of the birfield on the top and bottom? Have you tried rotating the pinion? Maybe the axle splines aren't lined up with the differential. Lots of variables here. We would love to help but need more info, and pics always help.

#3 ·
I'm sorry I work a lot, me and my cousin have been doing it together but have crazy schedules. I appreciate the help and as soon as I have a chance I'll put up some photos so yall can see what I'm dealing with. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be able to get them up. Thanks again.

#6 ·
We ended up taking the differential out but maybe you can help me with a new question. We rotated the tires after putting everything together and put the truck on 4 jack stands to see if everything worked properly. So when we turned the 4x4 on all 4 tired where spinning my trucks manual btw so I put it in 1st gear and let it do it by itself. The passenger side tire was moving super slow almost to a halt but would still spring again regardless. I started pushing the gas even shifted to 2nd and it would spin normally. Any idea on what ming be happening? Something I might have to replace? Maybe the lockers? Or the differential?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.