The Cutting Has Begun - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

'05 under the knife

The cutting has indeed begun on the '05.

OK! This is the day we start to tear into the "BEAST". Jason was ready with the troch and David Zartman from 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine was the to record it all.

Myself and Jason satrting to take it apart.

Jason myself and my good friend Dan Ramirez.

Here is a link, then go to SAS

http://community.webshots.com/user/awsumdc

Wyatt
DeMello-Offroad

Last edited by awsumdc; 08-14-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to traction
error
post #3 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to StemsCornfedTaco
bump for the error

~Robby

GONE: 1998 Xtra Cab 4x4 2.7L 5 Spd. Lifted and on 33's

NEW ARRIVAL: 2006 Ford F-250 SuperDuty, Supercab Longbed 4x4

Im Sorry,...Did I Hurt your Feelings? Let me Call an Ambulance

Too Much Peer Pressure...
MySpace!
post #4 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Try that, I think I fixed the error.
post #5 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to StemsCornfedTaco
Works now, I wanna see how the 05 looks Straight Axled, How much do u guys have done?

~Robby

GONE: 1998 Xtra Cab 4x4 2.7L 5 Spd. Lifted and on 33's

NEW ARRIVAL: 2006 Ford F-250 SuperDuty, Supercab Longbed 4x4

Im Sorry,...Did I Hurt your Feelings? Let me Call an Ambulance

Too Much Peer Pressure...
MySpace!

Last edited by StemsCornfedTaco; 06-25-2005 at 10:27 PM.
post #6 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StemsCornfedTaco
Works now, I wanna see how the 05 looks Straight Axled, How much do u guys have done?
We just started tearing it apart yesterday and cutting it. Now comes the computer stuff and measuring to make the links. It'll be finished in September. It's gonna take some time since it's a new truck and as far as we know it hasn't been done before. When it's finished it'll be in the new 4X4 Toyota owners magazine or if your in Cali for the off-Road expo you can see it there.

UPDATE: Pictures.

And the parts just start falling off!

Here you can see how much bigger these new frames are than the older Taco's You can also see that they kick up a bit higher than the older Taco's also.

Jason starts making the first cut. There is no turning back now on this brand new Taco with only 3600 miles on it.

The new axle. I love this thing.
It's a Currie Rock Jock 60 with 5.38 gears, 35 spline axles, 1-ton F450 knuckles, ARB locker, and Wilwood disc brakes.

Last edited by awsumdc; 08-14-2008 at 08:42 AM.
post #7 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

who does it belong to? you or demello or a customer?
post #8 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brain
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh
who does it belong to? you or demello or a customer?
It belongs to Wyatt (awsumdc)

-The Brain
post #9 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I was looking at an 05 thinking sas, looks like a good candidate! I wonder about the steering though, I think that may be the most difficult part getting a shaft hooked up to an IFS box...
post #10 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacominator
I was looking at an 05 thinking sas, looks like a good candidate! I wonder about the steering though, I think that may be the most difficult part getting a shaft hooked up to an IFS box...
Nope, The steering will be pretty simple. Hardest part really should be the cutting since there are three cross members and they are pretty sturdy.

Next came plating the frame after all the grinding. Not going to show pictures of that since I want to just forget all about that.

We plated the frame both front and back, bottom and top. The frame was already stronger han the older Taco's but we wanted to make sure nothng on this frame was going to break.

We then got the fiberglass front fenders from Glassworks for fitment. They were very easy to fit and required very little trimming to get them to look good.

We got the front Bilstien 9100 14" travel coilovers. The are the best shocks for our purpose in my opinion.

Last edited by awsumdc; 08-14-2008 at 05:08 PM.
post #11 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to GangusKhanh
Oh damn. SOmeone's got balls to do this to a brand new truck. Congrats, and props to being first..
post #12 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangusKhanh
Oh damn. SOmeone's got balls to do this to a brand new truck. Congrats, and props to being first..
Thanks, Appreciate the support. Look for it in the premier issue of 4WD Toyota owners magazine.
post #13 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 AM
norcal n00b

Send a message via AIM to Zackattak
What are you gonna be running? Coilovers?

-Zack

CA4WDMember#9373
post #14 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Garage
I cant wait to see this done...

TACORICAN
post #15 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to TRD4WD Send a message via MSN to TRD4WD
Bump for an update and pictures!

Micah
LA Member
My truck
post #16 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4WD
Bump for an update and pictures!
Unfortunately, the pictures will be few. We have an arrangement with 4WD TOYOTA OWNER MAGAZINE and because of that there will be few pictures released. But it will be covered from start to finish by 4wd toyota owner magazine. Maybe Dave will even let a few pics slip out.

Wyatt Scott
DeMello-Offroad
post #17 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Crime and Punishment

Wyatt what made you decide to SAS the '05? Was it to prove it could be done? Can't wait for more pics.

04 Taco
Locked and loaded front and rear
Budbuilts / Chevy 63" springs / 285/75/16 AT

1980 1st Gen
Detroit Front / Welded rear

NC TTORA
http://www.ncttora.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
No! If you can't understand that much I think you need to reenter the 1st grade and draw it up for yourself in crayon.

post #18 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosimov21
Wyatt what made you decide to SAS the '05? Was it to prove it could be done? Can't wait for more pics.
The Main reason was because I had a 247lb little bird ( Jason DeMello ) telling me in my ear that we could be the first. The second reason was indeed to show that it could be done and once done it would be as good if not better than the previous Tacoma SAS's. The '05 is a great truck and once we tore into it we found that the frame was indeed stronger than the earlier Taco's. There is more room to work with, the steering angle is better, the frame is both taller and wider, the radiator is tucked up in the frame, the oil pan is already a rear sump and is tucked up high in the frame, and the steering pump has a remote resevior already. All things that make for a good SAS. I would not be surprised to see more of these swapped in the next year.

This is going to be a really fun project for Jason, Corey, and myself and we look forward to being able to bringing you more pictures also.

Wyatt Scott
DeMello-Offroad
post #19 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

damn...must say you have some balls to cut an '05... cant wait to see the beast finished and on the trail.

-Chuck

"Stupidity should be painful"
post #20 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker
damn...must say you have some balls to cut an '05... cant wait to see the beast finished and on the trail.
Thanks Chuck. After seeing your rig in Tahoe, Jason and I had to do something different.

Wyatt
DeMello-Offroad
post #21 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker
chuck, i was under this thing yesterday looking around, and I gotta say it SHOULD be alot easier than our trucks.. its got tons of room under there. oh yea and working on a truck with less than 8,000 miles or so its CLEAN UNDER there lOL.
post #22 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 AM

we've looked at a few to see how the sas would go and your route of linking up the front end is the easiest. Doing leaf springs on the front could be a PITA since the frames are kinda funky up there.
must be nice cutting a new rig too... you wont miss the chunks of wheeling mud falling from the frame as your on your back w/ your safety glasses off for just that one second.
post #23 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 AM

How do you guys think the offroda capability of the sas 05 will be compared to the 01-04? Especially with the 05 being wider. That is the only thing I really dont like about the 05 is that it is bigger. How does the weight compared between the two also? The reason I ask is because if I get the job I put in for that means new truck time and its a big toss up between the new 05 or say an 04 and my future plans would include sas flatbed the whole nine yards. Keep up the awsome work!
post #24 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRunner
How do you guys think the offroda capability of the sas 05 will be compared to the 01-04? Especially with the 05 being wider. That is the only thing I really dont like about the 05 is that it is bigger. How does the weight compared between the two also? The reason I ask is because if I get the job I put in for that means new truck time and its a big toss up between the new 05 or say an 04 and my future plans would include sas flatbed the whole nine yards. Keep up the awsome work!
It will be tighter on trails, but I mean how can you go wrong with a custom d60 up front. I love how toyota took some of the work out of it already, and with the frame being wider = easier to make mounts that are beefier. on jasons the mounts had to be pretty compact because of the frame width. I think all together it will make a pretty capable rig when done. I dont think wyatt will go for a tube bed in the rear though LOL.. but very far off future plans call for a rear link also..
post #25 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc
The Main reason was because I had a 247lb little bird ( Jason DeMello ) telling me in my ear that we could be the first. The second reason was indeed to show that it could be done and once done it would be as good if not better than the previous Tacoma SAS's. The '05 is a great truck and once we tore into it we found that the frame was indeed stronger than the earlier Taco's. There is more room to work with, the steering angle is better, the frame is both taller and wider, the radiator is tucked up in the frame, the oil pan is already a rear sump and is tucked up high in the frame, and the steering pump has a remote resevior already. All things that make for a good SAS. I would not be surprised to see more of these swapped in the next year.

This is going to be a really fun project for Jason, Corey, and myself and we look forward to being able to bringing you more pictures also.

Wyatt Scott
DeMello-Offroad
almost makes ya wonder if Toyota actually listened this time, LOL

Nah...couldn't be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #26 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTRD
chuck, i was under this thing yesterday looking around, and I gotta say it SHOULD be alot easier than our trucks.. its got tons of room under there. oh yea and working on a truck with less than 8,000 miles or so its CLEAN UNDER there lOL.
3600 miles to be exact!!!.. Thanks for all your help to Corey.
post #27 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
almost makes ya wonder if Toyota actually listened this time, LOL

Nah...couldn't be that easy.
Yeah, you gotta wonder!
post #28 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRunner
It's been to Calico once and did very well with stock tires and only a limited slip. Went almost every where the group with 33''s and lockers did. It's really not that much bigger than the current Taco's and where it did grow in size actually helps it off road. On the tighter trails it will be a little bit more difficult but as Corey said, we have plans for a 4 link and rear steer so that should take care of the tight corners.
post #29 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc
Hardest part really should be the cutting since there are three cross members and they are pretty sturdy.
When I looked at the frame on the 05 that was one thing that concerned me. Not the cutting process itself, but since the frame is only boxed to the back of the front fender, I wonder how flimsy it's going to get when you cut out all that front stuff...
post #30 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

At this point it still seems pretty strong and we're going to reinforce all over the place so it should still be stronger than our older Taco's. They really did their home work on this. It is diffinately not a Camery with a bed or a cross between a nissan and a chevy. These are real Toyota products.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode