Anti-Seize and Torque - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock Vapor

Anti-Seize and Torque

Been lookin for info on this and have not had any luck. Specifically looking at its use on lugnuts.

Does the use of antiseize affect the ability of a bolt/nut to hold a torque over time? Some places recommend that the torque be reduced by 20% if using AS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 06:31 PM

I use it on wheel studs/lug nuts at my shop all the time and have not had any problem with anything loosening up, but then again I havent taken my torque wrench to see how much it takes to break them loose after being driven for a while. They are always still tight when they come back in for their next service. You are supposed to reduce the torque to compensate for the reduced friction from using antiseize on threads. I think I will have to have an experiment with my own taco wheels, 2 with antiseize and 2 without and see if there is much difference between sides. Wonder if I can get a govt grant to help pay for the research. lol
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

The U.S. Navy Hardware manual recommends pre-torqueing hardware when using anti-sieze.
Pre-torqueing is achieved by torqueing the hardware to the specified torque, back off, apply anti sieze, and re-torque to specifications.
We never had a problem with holding torque on turbo shaft engine components that used anti-sieze. These engines are subject to much higher temperatures and vibrations than you'll see on your truck.
The Military's already done the research, I dont think you'll get a grant, maybe you can get a grant if you find some people willing to eat anti-sieze and prove it doesnt cause death or disease.
Tim
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS2U
Been lookin for info on this and have not had any luck. Specifically looking at its use on lugnuts.

Does the use of antiseize affect the ability of a bolt/nut to hold a torque over time? Some places recommend that the torque be reduced by 20% if using AS
I've used anti-seize on my wheel studs for the entire life of this truck, and nothing's fallen off yet.

Later,
....Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbplus10
The U.S. Navy Hardware manual recommends pre-torqueing hardware when using anti-sieze.
Pre-torqueing is achieved by torqueing the hardware to the specified torque, back off, apply anti sieze, and re-torque to specifications.
We never had a problem with holding torque on turbo shaft engine components that used anti-sieze. These engines are subject to much higher temperatures and vibrations than you'll see on your truck.
The Military's already done the research, I dont think you'll get a grant, maybe you can get a grant if you find some people willing to eat anti-sieze and prove it doesnt cause death or disease.
Tim
hey where you at in the navy? im at sigonella Sicily right now it kinda sucks not having my truck down here but we are getting paid pretty nice so it evens out a little bit. what kind of planes do you work on? i work on P-3s .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Retired in Sept at NAS JRB Fort Worth, TX. Wouldnt wish retirement on my worst enemy, damn it's boring.
Was deployed to Sig from Oct 01 to Apr 03 flying the Sig/Akritiri/Kuwait/Turkey/Saudi medivac/troop trans/log-run in C-40's with VR-59.
I miss the deployments, miss the Sego Pub too.
Why didnt you bring your truck? I brought my 99 over when I was stationed there from 99 to 01. Bunch of great places to wheel off base, not to far of a drive to Switzerland and Germany for some great off-roading too.
Just sold my 01 Diesel Dcab hilux w/6" lift and 33"s to a retired SCPO that lives in Lentini.

Tim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Anti-seize doesn't hold things on, that's the red and blue loctite threadlocker. Anti-seize is like a lubricant the keeps the threads from seizing together so that you can take things apart if you need to.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:19 PM

And since it acts like a lubricant, a lot less torque is required to set it to the equivalent "holding capacity". So it can be really easy to snap off a stud when the lubricating qualities allow you to turn and turn and turn when the friction does NOT develop between the threads of the nut and the stud.

But I use the anti seize and I don't use the torque wrench on my nuts!

2000 Tacoma Xtra Cab SR5
4x4 V6 Auto Manual Hubs
Just enough dents to know the next one doesn't really matter.
31's fit for now, why not 32's?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DToon
And since it acts like a lubricant, a lot less torque is required to set it to the equivalent "holding capacity".
Fortunately most of the friction on lug nuts is under the cone or under the washer. I remember talking about this in the tech section, Toyota does not recommend anti-seize on lug nuts, but I have done it for years without problems. Just be sure NOT to put it on the cone or flat surface of the washer! A few bays down from me a guy broke off a few studs on his fathers car since he lubed the bajesus out of them. Just don't use too much and may want to back off the torque a few ft lbs. Or just don't use it unless you take your wheels off often like myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode