MT or AT - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Thank God 4 Every Day

MT or AT

i just got a sweet deal on some 16x8 wheels at discount tire and ordered some new tires. I have always ran 33x12.50 or bigger MT's on 10" wheels, but my truck is a 4 banger and the gas mileage and lack of power kinda sucks. I decided to order a set of nitto terra grapplers 285-75-16 AT to down size a little and maybe get a little better mileage with the AT tread. Well I just saw that BFG MT come in a 255-85-16 which is alittle taller but skinnier tire. I'm stuck trying to decide which tire to get now since the nittos haven't arrived at their store yet I can still change my mind. any input/ suggestions?I don't want to lose too much offroad performance, but I want a more streetable truck since its my DD.which do you think is a better tire?

gone to see the world...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Why would you lose offroad performance with an MT? I don't know much about the Nittos, but I doubt that they do better than a BFG MT offroad.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
truck ~n~ tow

He did say this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501
but I want a more streetable truck since its my DD.
Mt's aren't the best for that purpose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrRRman
He did say this...

Mt's aren't the best for that purpose...
That's true. I was just talking about offroad performance.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Thank God 4 Every Day

what I meant was I already have the terra grapplers ordered, and I know the BFG would be better offroad, but would they be as streetable since it's skinnier than the nitto?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Wheeler Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Toyo4x4
Quote:
what I meant was I already have the terra grapplers ordered, and I know the BFG would be better offroad, but would they be as streetable since it's skinnier than the nitto?
No, an MT is less "streetable" than an AT regardless of size. As a rule of thumb you can assume an M/T will be louder, wear faster, and ride rougher on road than an A/T, simple as that. Now there are exceptions, and people claiming their MTs ride just as good if not better than A/Ts, but if you want a more "streetable" truck, run an A/T. If you don't care about noise, a bit faster wear, etc, get an M/T.

1996 Xcab 2.7 4wd 5spd-Sold

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
Pennsylvania Toyota Territory Assoication
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Thank God 4 Every Day

I've always ran a MT on the truck, I love the way it performs off road but its pretty much a pig on the street. I also think a lifted truck looks alot better with a MT. I hope this doesn't kill the look and off road performance of the truck. But then again it would be nice to ride a little smoother and maybe get a litlle better MPG since I have to drive about 50-100 miles a day in houston

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Wheeler Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Toyo4x4
Quote:
I've always ran a MT on the truck, I love the way it performs off road but its pretty much a pig on the street. I also think a lifted truck looks alot better with a MT. I hope this doesn't kill the look and off road performance of the truck. But then again it would be nice to ride a little smoother and maybe get a litlle better MPG since I have to drive about 50-100 miles a day in houston
Then do the ideal thing... have two sets of tires, one for the street and one for the trail

1996 Xcab 2.7 4wd 5spd-Sold

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
Pennsylvania Toyota Territory Assoication
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Thank God 4 Every Day

I wish I could but I'm living back at home right now and I don't think my parents would like any more of my crap taking up space in the garage. I already kicked one of their cars out of the garage to make room for my 6 tool boxes and air compressor.I probably will just go with the terra grapplers and see how they work out, besides I haven't really heard too much abbout them so maybe I can be one of the first around houston to give them a trail rating. I had the mud grapplers for awhile and they were awesome, just alittle too big for the ol' 4banger to handle with stock gearing

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode