BFG ATs in snow/ice - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

BFG ATs in snow/ice

I've been doing searches on tires because I need new ones soon. I've narrowed it down to these in order of wanting:

1. BFG ATs
2. Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo
3. Firestone Destination AT

On tirerack.com all have excellent reviews on everything but the BFG don't rate well on ice and deep snow. Most people here who recommend the BFG ATs live in warm/no snow climates. So, anyone from northern Ohio or a colder area care to share their experiences? The truck is my daily drive but I'm looking to start off-roading soon. Currently I'm running BFG Rugged Trail 265/70/R16 2001 stock Tacoma 2.7L TRD.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:00 AM

ha, ohio snow. Basically the BFG AT's are a great tire but on ice or deep snow they suck. I really noticed how much they suck when it comes to going through snow that has been plowed in front of my drive way. I know the mud terrains are rated worse in the snow but I bet they would be better for the deep stuff, and then you've got them when you need them in the mud

1989 Pickup - Extended Cab 22RE
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Retired

Ran the BFG A/Ts for a year, through a Utah winter. Decent amount of snow and ice driving, including picking through slush on the roads. They work fairly well, for a non-directional tire, but they hydroplane excessively on slush. A lot of people run them as winter tires in Alaska and the wheelers swear by them, so that will tell you a little about their reputation in a place that has very hard winters.

My father runs the Dueler A/T Revos on his Chevy Duramax and has been very happy with them, and he does a lot of commuting around Alaska, ground blizzards and all.

-Thomas

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I've been doing searches on tires because I need new ones soon. I've narrowed it down to these in order of wanting:

1. BFG ATs

On tirerack.com all have excellent reviews on everything but the BFG don't rate well on ice and deep snow. Most people here who recommend the BFG ATs live in warm/no snow climates. So, anyone from northern Ohio or a colder area care to share their experiences? The truck is my daily drive but I'm looking to start off-roading soon. Currently I'm running BFG Rugged Trail 265/70/R16 2001 stock Tacoma 2.7L TRD.

Jeff
I have run AT for a long time on many rigs and many conditions, here is my take, deep snow, no go. Ice, well, in real icie conditions, no tire but studded works well, this experiance comes from my time in Portland, OR where ice is treacherous when it hits, The AT that are siped work as best can be expected in ice, they work well in plowed and hard packed snow, if you are going wheel off-road in fresh snow and mud enviroments stay away from AT's.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I live in Lorain, just west of Cleveland and run Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT. They carry them on TireRack also. I think they do VERY well in snow and ice. Mud traction off road is not great, but better than you would expect from looking at the tread. Noise level on road is there, but pretty quiet. Seem to be wearing OK.

EDIT: Note these tires are rated with the "snowflake on mountain" severe snow service rating too. While a manufacturer can label a tire "M&S", this rating involves actual testing by an independent party. The BFG's are not.

Last edited by RedRunnertc; 02-10-2006 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 AM

I agree with what AK98Taco said about hydroplaning. Overall, though, I've found that my BFG ATs do very well in snow and about as well on ice as you can expect without using a studded tire. I've had the BFGs in deep snow a few times, and I'd have to say the Goodyear MT/Rs I used to have were better for that.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Put Er In Low Eh?

i'd definatley give the a/t's a good rating for our canadian snow and ice. it's a good tire if you need something, semi-aggressive and winter rated at the same time. not so good in the deeper snow though.

Lifted, Locked, Geared, Armoured, Painted
Everyone calls it "Peanut"
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

i don;t have a lot to compare to, but for snow and ice i don;t think you can beat them. i don;t think any tire is going to do really well in deep snow. Mud terrains of any brand are known for just packing up on the slushy/icy stuff. considering i live in NE, a light and fluffly snow is rare compared to most of the stuff we get. for an all around on/off road tire, they are great!! ive easily been able to plow through over a foot of snow with no problem with these things.

2001 dblCab SR5 3.4L V6 TRD
Bone stock!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Only had mine in the ice once, and they did fine. They are awesome in the deep snow. They beat the shit out of my brother's Dueler AT's and his friends BFG MT's.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 PM

I have the bfg m/t's and they are fine if you just have a small amount of snow... say under an inch... but once those treads fill up your on your own for traction and if it is slushy snow forget about traction with the m/t's. I just got the revos and they seem to work better in the deeper stuff than the m/t's did. As far as ice... i havent had enough time on the revo's with ice to tell you anything.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:30 PM

I run the BFG AT's up in the snow and they do fine for me...In the real fresh back country stuff I have to put my foot into it a little more then normal,but that just makes for a fun ride
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc
EDIT: Note these tires are rated with the "snowflake on mountain" severe snow service rating too. While a manufacturer can label a tire "M&S", this rating involves actual testing by an independent party. The BFG's are not.
The BFG's actually DO have the MountainSnowflake thingy. I have driven the through 12" to 18" of semi packed, deep snow for miles in the U.P. Keeping enough tire speed they will get you through just fine. My buddy with MTR's and a regular cab only did slightly better than me. The AT is not a great snow tire. It is a hard, long wearing compound. It is a great tire. The question is are you really going to pick your tire based on the 3 days of the year it snows more than 4"?

'98 4Runner 3.4L 5-speed e-locker ~
SAW 2.0's l OME Shocks and springs l 265/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac

'11 VW GTI

'08 Yamaha YZ250

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljschnel
MountainSnowflake thingy.
.... WTF... LOL

Extreme Weather Rating...

Any tire that has this rating has been DOT tested I believe... To meet a certain standard...

My AT's do just fine in the snow and ice... Air down and you'll notice an improvement... Mud sucks though... Heavy gumbo mud shiat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build

Last edited by cbrRRman; 02-10-2006 at 04:33 PM.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrRRman
.... WTF... LOL

Extreme Weather Rating...

Any tire that has this rating has been DOT tested I believe... To meet a certain standard...
Yeah...that. It really does look like a mountain with a snowflake on it.

'98 4Runner 3.4L 5-speed e-locker ~
SAW 2.0's l OME Shocks and springs l 265/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac

'11 VW GTI

'08 Yamaha YZ250

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portman
i don;t think any tire is going to do really well in deep snow.
My Interco Trxus M/Ts have been kickass in deep, unpacked snow, especially for not airing down.

-Thomas

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
My Interco Trxus M/Ts have been kickass in deep, unpacked snow, especially for not airing down.
and so have my BFG a/t's. im just saying it get to a point when the snow is so deep it really doesn;t matter. plus, the type of snow plays a big role. . . . . whatever, im just saying i think the BFG a/t perform great on ice and snow . . . i always feel like i am grinding/tearing my way through

2001 dblCab SR5 3.4L V6 TRD
Bone stock!
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 AM
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portman
and so have my BFG a/t's. im just saying it get to a point when the snow is so deep it really doesn;t matter. plus, the type of snow plays a big role. . . . . whatever, im just saying i think the BFG a/t perform great on ice and snow . . . i always feel like i am grinding/tearing my way through
Likewise... This Big Bear run wasn't so much snow as it was ice... And my air gauge was off so I was only aired down to 20 psi... (found out later)... 15 would been better on the ice... But it clawed it's way through without too much fuss... Softer snow gives me better traction at least until it's so deep that I'm plowing the stuff... My AT's have been the best all around tire I've ever used... And here in SoCal... One minute yer in the snow and the next yer in desert sand... Literally...

Sorry the pics aren't so good... Someone elses camera... as I forgot mine that day... and my tire gauge and my compressor and my...

Quote:

Truck...
Trailer...

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Retired

BFG A/Ts in Alaska in May:

Mud and fresh snow in Utah:

Fresh snow in Utah. Stuff was slightly packed by our rigs, but you'd sink to your frame instantly if you lost momentum:

-Thomas

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
truck ~n~ tow

Those lower pics don't look like AT's.... Cheater... LOL

Quote:

Truck...
Trailer...

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:26 PM

For ON-STREET or off-road snow use????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff

1. BFG ATs

Jeff
If you're talking about using BFG AT's on street in snow, you will do fine. I've ran them for years (older tread design 31's and newer 275/16's) and they do well for me. Of course lots of the time my truck has 500# of ballast sand in the back and a 550# plow on the front but I've used them on both plow and non-plow Toys since the 80's. IMHO they are the best all-around tire if you need to use your truck for daily driver use in "normal" snows... They can wheel all summer and still get thru a foot plus of snow in the winter. Are they as good off road in mud as MT/R's or swampers? - nope! But for a daily driver I think they are the best. And they're severe snow service rated and do fine on ice!

I do run the Commercial traction TA snowys on the plow only truck cause it needs to have tall skinny tires for some steep and slippery paved driveways I do. I'd never run them on a daily driver, they're only better IMHO for the limited use I need them for... and in a size that I can chain up if need be.

I live in Eastern Pennsy so our weather is like yours... And we're getting a foot of snow today!

04 Taco
99 Z28

Active member PITA. People Eating Tasty Animals.

Plowing: www.plowsite.com

G G & G: www.tysknews.com

There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

Last edited by sixspeed; 02-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:40 PM

Hey, this sound like a good question for a Canadian, i live in Whistler, BC and drive though the snow alot. I've owned several sets of BF AT's 31x10.5's, 33x12.5's and just got some 33x9.5's AND Let me tell you they all worked excellent in the snow. Ice is Ice and unless you have studs everything is going to slip. I was recently on a trip to Slouquet hot springs where the snow was only about 6-8" for 90% of the trail, but that last 10% got pertty deep and ugly, So i let my buddies ( highly mod'd Jeep's ) go ahead, and break trail. Needless to say they didn't make it far and my "4Runnah" was breaking, like a CHAMP thru 12-16" of fresh on hard pack. Felt like I was a snowmobile with snow coming over the hood, and let me tell you those 33x9.5 BFG AT KO's (pizza cutters) sure did there job and then some. Very pleased with snow performance.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:47 PM

I'll let you know. Were expected to finaly have a good snow here in MD this winter, I have had my BFG AT since Aug, and they have rocked. the little 1-2 in we had in Dec. they were fine in, today were expected to get from 2-10" depending on what channel you listen to So I will let you know how they do. If you air down any tire you get a little better handling in deep stuff.
I have R15 31x10.5 on a 98 taco extracab TRD for ref.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed
Are they as good off road in mud as MT/R's or swampers? - nope!
The MT/R is not a mud tire, if that's what you were saying.

-Thomas

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
BFG A/Ts in Alaska in May:

Mud and fresh snow in Utah:

Fresh snow in Utah. Stuff was slightly packed by our rigs, but you'd sink to your frame instantly if you lost momentum:

I love the diff drag trail in the mud. It's typical for down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro
fat chicks and scooters. they may be fun to ride but you dont want your buddies catching you on one.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

I have had great success with mine! I had 31” and 32” before getting the 33”. No prob in deep snow and on ice there great. I haven't had a better all around tire. Who ever is rating them has a pretty steep grading curve. What’s "good" in their opinion?

http://www.ttora.com/photos/showphot...user=6423&sl=j

P.S. how do you just post the picture without adding a link to it? cant seem to figure it out!

FOR SALE
Built 95.5, std. cab, Manual, 3.4 v6 Tacoma
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=146226

Last edited by joel; 02-12-2006 at 12:38 AM.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 AM

ok, well as promised, my update, after having fun in about 5-6in of snow for the past 2hr my 6mo bfg at did great. I did mostly 2w and only really needing 4hi once on a steep curvy hill. Now I dont have much weight in the back, mostly some tools and 2 rims for a car and a cap on the bed.
I had little slipage other than intentional (gota spin it a bit in an empty lot
much better than my old goodyears
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:29 AM
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel
I have had great success with mine! I had 31” and 32” before getting the 33”. No prob in deep snow and on ice there great. I haven't had a better all around tire. Who ever is rating them has a pretty steep grading curve. What’s "good" in their opinion?

http://www.ttora.com/photos/showphot...user=6423&sl=j

P.S. how do you just post the picture without adding a link to it? cant seem to figure it out!
You need to get a host such as... http://photobucket.com/

Quote:

Truck...
Trailer...

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Retired

Quote:
Those lower pics don't look like AT's.... Cheater... LOL
I know, I know

-Thomas

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bray
I love the diff drag trail in the mud. It's typical for down here.
Must... get... more... ground clearance... LOL

The mud in Utah is weak, real weak. I'll bet Alabama gumbo is much nastier, like the mostly soil stuff in Alaska.

-Thomas

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You need to get a host such as... http://photobucket.com/
Thanks, I'll work on that

FOR SALE
Built 95.5, std. cab, Manual, 3.4 v6 Tacoma
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=146226

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode