Most Aggressive Long Wearing Tire - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to climbdarox
Most Aggressive Long Wearing Tire

What do you think? I am guessing that the Goodyear MTR do pretty good i had them before...what are those DC ties that the DC around the edges ....just want to get some info before i go and buy new tires...but i want something that will still handle in mud and tough stuff but wears well on the street, right now i have the x-terrain procomps and really like them...i am thinking i might go back to the MTR's though...anyone know i the rubber compound on the MTR is denser than the procomp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

MT/R's aren't a mud tire. And why are you asking about them if you've had them before.

Oh yeah, your spelling is an abortion of mixmatched letters spewed on my screen.

Last edited by PaulW; 02-15-2006 at 05:23 PM.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

yes but at least you get the point...what you mean MTRs arent a mud tire i have had them before and have read reviews....what makes you think they arent a mud tire! big nice tread spaces, pretty good at self cleaning too from what i reeemeember
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

I don't think they are a mud tire because they aren't a fucking mud tire.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdarox
what you mean MTRs arent a mud tire i have had them before and have read reviews....what makes you think they arent a mud tire! big nice tread spaces, pretty good at self cleaning too from what i reeemeember
MT/R = Maximum Traction Radial, versus the M/T = mud terrain

My Super Swamper Trxus M/Ts are pretty kickass.

-Thomas

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

dude their tread patern is almost exactly the same as a bfg mud tire and in fact looks like their tread spacing is even wider! is the bfg mud tire a mud tire?
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

no dude MTR is maximus traction reinforced check out how they look compared to bfg

here yo
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

I don't know which MT/R's you have been looking at, because they don't look anything like BFG MT's.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

those are the goodyear wrangler mtrs right...on the right
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:40 PM

Why do people get so hung up on that name? Because they called them "Maximum Traction" instead of "Mud Terrain" they're not a "mud tire". Well, . I have had BFG MTs, and currently have MT/Rs, and I can not recall my BFGs being any better in the mud than my MT/Rs are. I have heard other people say the BFGs spank the MT/Rs in mud.... well, I don't know, maybe we just have magic mud here in OR.

2005 Tacoma DC 4WD - TRD Sport
3" Revtek
285/75R16 siped MT/Rs
Custom sliders
AllPro front bumper
Warn XD9000 w/ Masterpull SuperLine
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

arent all interco tires made from really soft compoud? like i would get the Irocks just cause they look so bad ass and am sure they would perform but are they really soft? the interco mud tires look pretty good to though so do the LTB...anyone have those?
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

what about boggers how do those hold up to daily driving? funny question lol i can guess...but the tread is just so big even if they wear down a lot you will still have some big ass lugs pulling for you...i have just always wondered
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Prices i have found per tire (35in tires)

Irok: $310
LTB: $170
TrXus MT: $237
Boggers: $260
Goodyear MT/R: $195

LTB are lookin pretty bad ass! anyone know anything much about them or have them? ok i will stop posting up now...
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Wheeler Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Toyo4x4
Quote:
arent all interco tires made from really soft compoud? like i would get the Irocks just cause they look so bad ass and am sure they would perform but are they really soft? the interco mud tires look pretty good to though so do the LTB...anyone have those?
Trxus maybe? I'm not going to repeat my opinion, do a search and you will see how I like them. I still don't see why more people on here aren't running them.

1996 Xcab 2.7 4wd 5spd-Sold

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
Pennsylvania Toyota Territory Assoication
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

i want an opinion on the LTB cause those look like they got some big A$$ lugs on em almost big as Boggers...maybe not but looks like i can see a little scoop in them...just wondering
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Wheeler Wannabe

Quote:
i want an opinion on the LTB cause those look like they got some big A$$ lugs on em almost big as Boggers...maybe not but looks like i can see a little scoop in them...just wondering
Strictly a street tire? No. Mostly trail, go for it. Superposer (can be found on the pa board) runs them in a 34". PM him.

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...one thing i dont get is i found the MTR's for 195 and the TrXus MT for 237 a tire people are saying that they get the MT over the MTR cause of the price...where do you guys buy your tires?

Last edited by climbdarox; 02-15-2006 at 06:10 PM.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Retired

Quote:
no dude MTR is maximus traction reinforced check out how they look compared to bfg

here yo
Here's a review for you: http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/GoodyearMTR.asp

"In comparison to a Super Swamper, it fell a bit short of being a true mud tire, but we feel the quiet road manners and rock-crawling capabilities more than made up for it."

It's a dry-terrain tire.

For people that have experience in mud, the MT/R is all but worthless.

-Thomas

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Wheeler Wannabe

Quote:
the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...
Yes they clean great, but I try to stay out of real nasty mud as much as possible. The pictures on the internet don't do them justice. The lugs are good sized. A lower tread depth than most (19/32) but still a good tire.

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:12 PM

I just ordered some TrXus MTs today in 285/75/16 for $145. I was torn between them and the Cooper's STT but ultimately I think the TrXus will do better on the trails and they look better and tread life will be about the same.

2007 FJ Cruiser, 6 Speed, RoughCountry 3" Spacer, 17x9 DC-1, 33x12.5 MT Baja Claws, TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 Series, URD ShortShifter

2009 Access Cab Taco, 4x4, 6 Speed, TRD Off Road, 3" ToyTec Spacer, Toy Tec AAL, 17x9 ATX Artillery, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 Series
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:14 PM

I don't know what size rim you are looking at but 35x12.50 on 16s is only $199.99 HERE

2007 FJ Cruiser, 6 Speed, RoughCountry 3" Spacer, 17x9 DC-1, 33x12.5 MT Baja Claws, TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 Series, URD ShortShifter

2009 Access Cab Taco, 4x4, 6 Speed, TRD Off Road, 3" ToyTec Spacer, Toy Tec AAL, 17x9 ATX Artillery, 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 Series
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR_05Taco

Why do people get so hung up on that name? Because they called them "Maximum Traction" instead of "Mud Terrain" they're not a "mud tire". Well, . I have had BFG MTs, and currently have MT/Rs, and I can not recall my BFGs being any better in the mud than my MT/Rs are. I have heard other people say the BFGs spank the MT/Rs in mud....
Because it's not designed to be a mud tire, though it may be used as one.

From what I have seen, most people who run a lot of mud use Swampers (TSLs and Boggers), most people who run rocks use MT/Rs.

My BFG A/Ts did well in Alaska mud, but I don't call them mud tires.

Quote:
well, I don't know, maybe we just have magic mud here in OR.
Maybe...

-Thomas

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Retired

Quote:
the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...one thing i dont get is i found the MTR's for 195 and the TrXus MT for 237 a tire people are saying that they get the MT over the MTR cause of the price...where do you guys buy your tires?
They clean very well and the lugs are bigger than you think.

I paid $680 for my four from a friend that owns a shop, and that includes shipping to Alaska.

-Thomas

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What do you think? I am guessing that the Goodyear MTR do pretty good i had them before...what are those DC ties that the DC around the edges ....just want to get some info before i go and buy new tires...but i want something that will still handle in mud and tough stuff but wears well on the street, right now i have the x-terrain procomps and really like them...i am thinking i might go back to the MTR's though...anyone know i the rubber compound on the MTR is denser than the procomp?
oh god...not another one...
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
before you really make a bad choice here you need to do some research on bias ply and radial tires. I will make it simple for this discussion: bias ply = great offroad, bad on street. Radial = varies offroad, designed for street. The LTB's are a bias ply tire, as such they will wear faster, be harder to balance and ride worse on the street than a radial tire (BFG, MTR, etc..) The swamper TrXus MT is a radial tire and is siped so it ought to have better wet traction than a BFG which isnt siped. If you dont know what siping is, sipes are the little "cuts" in tread blocks designed to enhance wet traction on slippery surfaces.

On the lookout for a new rig
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Wheeler Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylead
before you really make a bad choice here you need to do some research on bias ply and radial tires. I will make it simple for this discussion: bias ply = great offroad, bad on street. Radial = varies offroad, designed for street. The LTB's are a bias ply tire, as such they will wear faster, be harder to balance and ride worse on the street than a radial tire (BFG, MTR, etc..) The swamper TrXus MT is a radial tire and is siped so it ought to have better wet traction than a BFG which isnt siped. If you dont know what siping is, sipes are the little "cuts" in tread blocks designed to enhance wet traction on slippery surfaces.
Good post...that elaborated on my shortened version

2005 TRD AC 4x4-265/75
Stock...for now.
----------
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK98Taco
.....It's a dry-terrain tire.

At least for my rig @ 4200 lbs on 35-12.5x15's MT/R's mounted on 15 x 8's that's not nesessarily true.

I've found they do fine as long as they are aired down to very low pressure (about 4 PSI). In our sticky, slick as snot caliche clay, they have gone everywhere a set of BFG's did. Obviously they can't compare to a bias ply tire, but when damn near flat they clean OK. Same pressure works great in snow too.

Quote:
i want an opinion on the LTB...
IMlessthanHO, and in regards to this specific size, the 33-13.5x15 LTB's mounted on 15 x 10's:

Not as durable a tire as most Interco are.

Great rock traction due to the very, very soft tread compound. Almost feels like gum rubber. Awesome traction is snow and mud.

Sidewalls aren't very tough tho, had multiple cuts thru sidewalls. Run the same trails on MT/R's with no, none, zero, zip, failures.

I wouldn't expect you'd get much more than 4000 miles on set if you use'm hard offhighway, and pavement eats'm up fast.

The sky was blue on Tuesday...
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to KStacoma
As others have said the mt/r's are great except in deep mud. I love mine on the street, on the rocks, but not in the mud. They really just don't like to clean out too well. They have worn pretty good though.

98 Taco- Sas'd, bobbed, dovetailed, caged, geared, locked.....sold
85 4runner- 40"iroks, duals, longs, supercharged 5vz-fe, caged, dented
2012 Taco- Street Queen
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Because it's not designed to be a mud tire, though it may be used as one.
Those sound like somewhat conflicting statements. Saying the MT/R is all but worthless in mud is misleading and ridiculous IMO. Is it a bogger? Of course not. Is it a tire that you would want to run if you were competing in a mud bog? No. However, they hold their own in mud. IMO they are a great MIXED TERRAIN tire. They can handle most conditions well, but they aren't the best at any of them. This is what I was looking for when I was shopping for tires, and the MT/R is what I ended up with (siped). I think they are on par with BFGs in mud performance (IN MY EXPERIENCE - I've owned both). Maybe this isn't the case in different parts of the country, but we have lots o' mud here in OR and they do fine. Like I said, they aren't a bogger, but they are certainly not "all but worthless".

2005 Tacoma DC 4WD - TRD Sport
3" Revtek
285/75R16 siped MT/Rs
Custom sliders
AllPro front bumper
Warn XD9000 w/ Masterpull SuperLine
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR_05Taco
Those sound like somewhat conflicting statements. Saying the MT/R is all but worthless in mud is misleading and ridiculous IMO. Is it a bogger? Of course not. Is it a tire that you would want to run if you were competing in a mud bog? No. However, they hold their own in mud. IMO they are a great MIXED TERRAIN tire. They can handle most conditions well, but they aren't the best at any of them. This is what I was looking for when I was shopping for tires, and the MT/R is what I ended up with (siped). I think they are on par with BFGs in mud performance (IN MY EXPERIENCE - I've owned both). Maybe this isn't the case in different parts of the country, but we have lots o' mud here in OR and they do fine. Like I said, they aren't a bogger, but they are certainly not "all but worthless".
Perhaps, but I'm just speaking from what I've been told by my wheeling counterparts in Alaska that daily drive their rigs and wheel some incredibly challenging terrain. The wheeling is wet, rutted, and full of roots and rocks. The MT/Rs pack quickly compared to M/Ts and Swampers. I don't know what it is about the MT/R, but it just doesn't perform as well.

As I said, my BFG A/Ts were surprising in mud and despite not cleaning well they were not my limiting factor. I've seen MT/Rs go through the same exact stuff and they were no better for cleaning themselves.

Take it as you will, but for running more mud than rocks or sand, go for an M/T or radial Swamper.

-Thomas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode