Removing wheel lock with no key? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to kyle
Removing wheel lock with no key?

I had class all day so I had planned on getting my tires swapped out tomorrow because my current tires are getting pretty bald. Well, on my way home (about a mile from my house) I blew my rear right tire. Problem is theres a wheel lock and I lost the key. I made my way home slowly and parked it. Obviously I can't drive the truck to the tire shop, and I'd rather not tow it there. So how can I get the lock off? I don't mind if I damage the lock or the wheel stud in trying to get the tire off. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
I had class all day so I had planned on getting my tires swapped out tomorrow because my current tires are getting pretty bald. Well, on my way home (about a mile from my house) I blew my rear right tire. Problem is theres a wheel lock and I lost the key. I made my way home slowly and parked it. Obviously I can't drive the truck to the tire shop, and I'd rather not tow it there. So how can I get the lock off? I don't mind if I damage the lock or the wheel stud in trying to get the tire off. Any ideas?
Find a impact socket that is slighly smaller than the lug and pound it on . take a breaker bar or ratchet and remove the lug.

Happy Wheeling!
Member since January 1999!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Yeti
If that doesnt work, try using a chisel and split it. this can be really hard to do so maybe try anything else first. and use safety glasses

98 Ext Cab 4wd ADD
3" cornfed V6-power
33x10.5x15 steel whls BFG AT ko...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQM3 (Last IFS in AZ)
Find a impact socket that is slighly smaller than the lug and pound it on . take a breaker bar or ratchet and remove the lug.
Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try it tomorrow.

Last edited by kyle; 01-25-2005 at 01:38 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 AM

they make a thing thats kinda like an easy out, but opposite, u hammer it onto the nut and it has spiral type things on the inside, that grip and u use just an impact or breaker bar to get it off. kinda hard to explain but theres a tool just for those.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i know about that tool. I just don't know if they can be easily found or do only tire shops get them? if the other methods dont work i'll look into that tool.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Sears has large sockets made for removing worn/stripped nuts and bolts. They'll work for your purpose too, tap one on thats roughly the same size as your wheel lock.

Tim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Deal Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle

This topic has been addressed before:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ght=wheel+lock

Option1)
1/2 Drive, 12pt 19mm deep socket should work- Craftsman w/lifetime warranty will work since you will fracture the socket. W/ BFH- get the socket to fit over the wheel lock-
I have been able to removal all 4 wheel locks w/ the same socket before I swapped it out for a new one.

Option2)
Craftsman sells a lug nut removal tool
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00952165000
I think they also have a 3pc set for less
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:42 PM

thanks for that link grillmasterp, very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode