Need help getting timing belt on - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Need help getting timing belt on

Okay, so I'm changing my timing belt and everything went okay until I tried to put the new belt back on. I cannot get the new belt back on the last pulley. I used the Blue point tool to compress the tensioner as far as I could. I tried tensioning the left cam gear (not sure I did it right though). Has anyone had this problem? All of the write-ups about timing belt replacements make it seem like the belt just slips on. This is really frustrating me, but I'm sure the neighbors are enjoying my swearing fits.

Thank for any ideas or suggestions.
MO

Stock 98 4wd manual 3.4L ext cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Deal Master

- So you used the tensioner tool and have inserted the pin- to hold the tensioner in place

Install the belt from the lower crank first-
You should be able to put a ratchet or breaker bar on one of the crank pulleys to give you some slack-

Also - some medium size binder clips or light duty spring clamps are a good way to hold the belt on the pulley
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I ended up using an extension bar for a 3/8 drive to lift the belt over the last pully. Slid right on after that. Put it back to gether and the timing stayed correct plus the motor starts. So far so good.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
MO

Stock 98 4wd manual 3.4L ext cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode