Taking front bumper off...worry about airbags? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Taking front bumper off...worry about airbags?

Where are the airbag sensors located? What is the procedure for removing the front bumper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Ted
wut?

Send a message via AIM to Ted
What year Truck?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 11:52 PM
dreamin' about wheelin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb
Where are the airbag sensors located? What is the procedure for removing the front bumper?
The sensors on the 01-04's are on the insides of the fender wells (the two i know of)

on the 2nd gen's there are 4 bolts holding the bumper on bumper brackets to the frame) + some clips and 3rd gen's there are 6 bolts and a couple clips holding the bumpers on.

I have had the bumpers off of 2nd and 3rd gens w/o a problem.

the sensors are made to go off with a rapid decrease in speed. say... from hitting something. not from hitting them. if you would have to hit the sensors... that would be one hell of a crash, they are below your battery and airbox for the 3rd gens atleast.

CA4WDC, BRC, and Tread Lightly
SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY AND THE HAMMERS!
WWW.FOJV.ORG
Keep the effort alive! Get involved!

Spotters are for pussys!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to zszac111
I dont think my damn airbags work, i know ive slammed into rocks hard enough that it makes my freaking teeth feel like they are going to fall out of my head and nothing happens, but my spiral cable is also broke in the steering wheel. o well a trail rig doesnt need airbags

just a POS buggy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 AM

Just make sure you disconnect the battery before taking the bumper off. Besides that you must have to hit two sensors a once on most abs systems, while going atleast 12-28 mph depending on the system.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 4TACXOMA4 Send a message via MSN to 4TACXOMA4 Send a message via Yahoo to 4TACXOMA4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2RCKTRD
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before taking the bumper off. Besides that you must have to hit two sensors a once on most abs systems, while going atleast 12-28 mph depending on the system.
I've never disconnected my battery, and nothing has happened yet...

-Brent

1996 Xtra Cab V6
My Truck

SAS Parts For Sale
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TACXOMA4
I've never disconnected my battery, and nothing has happened yet...
I am not saying anything will happen, but it if you disconnect the battery the air bag won't go off.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am not saying anything will happen, but it if you disconnect the battery the air bag won't go off.
I have never seen anything airbag related anywhere near the stock front bumpers. The sensors I have seen are on the inner fenders. But what do I know, I don't even have working airbags.

Later,
....Mike
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 08:48 PM

I am not sure where the sensors are for sure, but if you are worried about setting the airbag off just disconnect the battery.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 08:58 PM

Smile Bumper Hits? Disable Airbags?

I am going to build a new bumper and grill guard, and would like to disable the airbags while wheeling. Of course, I can disable the passenger bag with a key. But is there a fuse (or?) that I can pull at the trailhead for the driver bag?

Thx, Jim
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99redyota
the fuse is located right below the airbox on my truck its got a bright yellow harness cant miss it
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0
The airbag stuff is all bright yellow. There are two sensors mounted to the frame rails in the front of the truck. The little computer thingy for the airbag is below the ashtray, in front of the shifter. Everything related to the airbag is that yellow color.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 01:26 PM
GRUMPY SOB!!

Quote:

The bumper is not connected in anyway to the airbag system on the Tacoma's. there on centrifugal switches. Its how fast you stop. The sensors on every Tacoma ive seen are located inside the engine compartment on the fender wells. All air bag wiring on the Tacoma's are Yellow. In theroy you could wreck and total the truck and the airbag systen would never go off.

Im not arguing with you. Im just jumping in on something I dont know or care about!!

VSU_4runnin -
"The second looks like it got dragged through a JC Whitney catalog"
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 PM

so is the airbag system totally relying on electricity for its power? i thought it would still work if the battery was disconnected.
i too want to take mine out , but i am afraid that it will go off .If it does , then the passenger-side one will break the winshield, and i dont want that! I have worked so many crash's and seen people that would have been fine if they hadnt gotten zapped by the bags. I love seatbelts , but not too sure of these bags.

Toyota Tacoma: The A-10 Warthog and Huey helicopter of trucks

Love or hate Glocks but the ease of complete disassembly and reassembly is a marvel of engineering compared to almost all others.

Last edited by tercel89; 12-18-2004 at 10:57 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0
Luckily new cars are coming with "adaptive" air bags. They sense the passengers weight and distance from the dash/steering wheel and adjust their explosion accordingly. Probably prevent a lot of facial burns and severe injuries to people who sit way too close to the steering wheel.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to akshunj
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89
so is the airbag system totally relying on electricity for its power? i thought it would still work if the battery was disconnected.
i too want to take mine out , but i am afraid that it will go off .If it does , then the passenger-side one will break the winshield, and i dont want that! I have worked so many crash's and seen people that would have been fine if they hadnt gotten zapped by the bags. I love seatbelts , but not too sure of these bags.
The airbag system is backed up by a capacitor. If you disconnect the battery, let it sit for a few minutes to ensure it fully discharges. Also, the airbag sensors a g-force sensitive. It takes so many g's to make them deploy. I forget how many but consider how many g's you experience going from 35 or 40mph to 0 mph in less than 1 second and you get the idea.

We use the same kind of sensors in our aircraft for the emergency locator transmitter. When we have to test them on the bench in the shop, I have to put it in a vice and hit it with a rubber mallet to set it off.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to 3rdidvet Send a message via Yahoo to 3rdidvet
My front right corner got smacked by a corolla crossing my path without looking, and the airbag never went off. By the sounds of this thread, I don't think anything less than a 25 mph frontal crash is gonna get 'em to go off, but better safe than ( a lot of money to get new bags ) sorry!

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode