Air filters with headers - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ViableCalifornia
Air filters with headers

Stupid question i think...

Do air filters such as the K&N get in the way of headers in any way or do the two components (headers and air filters) do their own things without getting in the way of each other? For example since i have a K&N fipk at the moment, and i decide to get headers down the road complementing an s/c, will headers simply be another performance upgrade or would i have to mod or remove the air filter??

I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.

FOR SALE:

2000 4x4 SR5 3.4L Xtra Cab

149,000 miles

Excellent Condition.

$14,000 OBO

Mods so far:

Fabtech 6" Kit
PA 3" Body
35x12.50" BFG Muds
Dual Magnaflow Exhaust with 3" Tips
Westin Body Accessories
Kenwood Excelon DDX7015 7" DVD/CD/MP3 Touchscreen
JL Audio 10" W3v2-D2
JL Audio 500/1
K&N FIPK 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Mez

Send a message via AIM to Mez
The fipk worked nicely w/ a downey header.

96 Extra Cab 4x4 2.7l

Last edited by Mez; 06-07-2005 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Desert Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tweeter
I would do the fipk first because you're putting in a lot less stuff than what you take out, so there's more room for whatever you need to do in there.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViableCalifornia
Stupid question i think...

Do air filters such as the K&N get in the way of headers in any way or do the two components (headers and air filters) do their own things without getting in the way of each other? For example since i have a K&N fipk at the moment, and i decide to get headers down the road complementing an s/c, will headers simply be another performance upgrade or would i have to mod or remove the air filter??

I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.
An intake mod like an FIPK would mount to the throttle body which is on top of your engine. Headers mount to the exhaust ports of your heads on the sides of the engine and run underneath to your exhaust system. Simple answer - no.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:33 PM

more cold air.....

I've been playing with cold air intakes for the FJ- and after some real good results with cabin supplied air in the hot LA summers, I totaled the vehicle
on the way to work on very rainy morn..........so that system is gone, and the Replacement FJ begging to be tweaked....Question;The maf sensor location, is it critical as to where in the intake it is located? I have seen special adapters that allow it to be directly behind the filter, at midpoint+-,
and on the stock box-the location is about 4" from the upstream side of the throttle body-does this affect the response timing from the maf/throttlebody
according to the distance between the 2?My last intake had the sensor near its stock location, about 12" from a "y" that went to a). fender well cold air
box, and b). cabin via firewall penetrator. For really wet days, or really hot
periods, the fender well filter can be capped, and the cabin air tapped via under the dash mounted filter. The current config is capped at the "y" for fenderwell supply, the MAFsensor 16" from the TB, and the response seems
to be"lagging"..???
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDodgeFJ View Post
I've been playing with cold air intakes for the FJ- and after some real good results with cabin supplied air in the hot LA summers, I totaled the vehicle
on the way to work on very rainy morn..........so that system is gone, and the Replacement FJ begging to be tweaked....Question;The maf sensor location, is it critical as to where in the intake it is located? I have seen special adapters that allow it to be directly behind the filter, at midpoint+-,
and on the stock box-the location is about 4" from the upstream side of the throttle body-does this affect the response timing from the maf/throttlebody
according to the distance between the 2?My last intake had the sensor near its stock location, about 12" from a "y" that went to a). fender well cold air
box, and b). cabin via firewall penetrator. For really wet days, or really hot
periods, the fender well filter can be capped, and the cabin air tapped via under the dash mounted filter. The current config is capped at the "y" for fenderwell supply, the MAFsensor 16" from the TB, and the response seems
to be"lagging"..???

What?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

It's all about airflow. With a SC the engine needs lots more air than NA. The K&N won't interfere with the headers, unless you have modified the mounting brackets and dropped it down. Typically the air filter is mounted far enough away from the headers to avoid heat exchange between the hot exhaust manifold and the cooler intake air.

05 Gold SB DC 4x4, Hoes, TC arms, TSB leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's, Timbren bumps, limit straps, locker mod, locker skid plate, one piece rear driveshaft, blah, blah, blah

Definition of the day:
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign
of breaking down in the near future

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode