2.7....how good are they? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

2.7....how good are they?

alrighty so i was wondering...how good do the 2.7 perform on most terrain....i really dont know what kind of terrain but yea i guess most......since all i do is trailblazing...if thats a term...... but yea more like jus dirt with bumps and hills n yea stuff like that......i hav a 2.7 double cab prerunner...i know it sucks ass but yea please dont rub it in........but i was wondering if it has any potential or is it just that bad...hopefully i can get some good feedback...ok till then......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:30 AM

I have my second 2.7 X-cab 4X4 and have absolutely NO complaints. I am running 33 12.5's too, with 5" lift. My previous Tacoma was a stock 99 TRD and same thing, had no complaints, loved the motor. I test drove several V-6's, autos, sticks, etc. It just "felt" like the 2.7 was much more peppier. I can't explain it, but even with the choice to choose, I picked the 2.7 and have not looked back. Good luck.

2002 X-Cab, 2.7 FIPK, Gibson, Camburg 2.5 SAWS, 305/70 16's on MT Classic II(no more) now 265/75 16 on stock alloys. Onboard air and much more to come!
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- George Orwell
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 AM

I wouldn't sweat it. Unless you are at altitude, running big meaty tires, or towing you should have no problems. Hell i drive fast and tow heavy shit, and love every bit of it. Besides maintenance records are a bit better for the four cylinder. Ive got the 2.7 with a 5-spd and 32 11.5's and wouldnt go bigger(engine) unless i had a bigger truck.

99 X-cab 2.7 5 spd 4x4 donahoe/deavers, arb w/ m9000 (silently for sale)
95 FZJ-80 slee 4'',triple locked, slidered, skidded, stupidcharged, DD
72 FJ-55 SOA,lincoln locker,8274, 36's,some rust
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Same here I got a 03 2.7 and the only time I needed a little more pep was when I went to CO. I live in KS and hauled a 12ft U-Haul trailer packed full to Corpus Christi, TX when I had my 31x11.50 LTBs on and it dogged a little, but the little fella didn't have any quite in him.

Ben
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaWComA26
alrighty so i was wondering...how good do the 2.7 perform on most terrain....i really dont know what kind of terrain but yea i guess most......since all i do is trailblazing...if thats a term...... but yea more like jus dirt with bumps and hills n yea stuff like that......i hav a 2.7 double cab prerunner...i know it sucks ass but yea please dont rub it in........but i was wondering if it has any potential or is it just that bad...hopefully i can get some good feedback...ok till then......

What sucks about it? I love my 2.7 Double Cab!
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
The 2.7s are torquey little engines. Nothing wrong with them at all. Damn reliable too
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Kool....just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys... i didnt know if my motor was good enough....most of the trails i used to do were pretty beginner/moderate.....but i was really planning on swapping my motor....but now all i want to do is make it 4x4...n i guess that would satisfy me pretty well...since thats my new question.....how hard and where would i be able to make it 4x4........o yea did they even make 4x4 2.7 double cabs......

Last edited by TaWComA26; 06-08-2005 at 03:14 PM.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Mez

Send a message via AIM to Mez
Search for your answer on how to make yours into a 4x4, there's tons of info on this board in relation to the swap.

96 Extra Cab 4x4 2.7l

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
85,000 supercharged miles and still counting!

LIBERATE TU TEMET EX INFERIS

Last edited by NUKE; 12-28-2010 at 07:55 AM.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM

I love my 2.7l. I have about 250K on it and it runs like a champ, and I live at almost 9,00ft and drive 20miles of washboards every day!
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeheel720
I love my 2.7l. I have about 250K on it and it runs like a champ, and I live at almost 9,00ft and drive 20miles of washboards every day!
20 miles a day!!!!!!!! You make me sick!!!! (just kidding) I drive 130 miles round trip every day! Thank God it's all highway!

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member

Heres a site that can help start you out with your quest to make your truck a real 4x4. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde...v2&id=137&c=10

01 ext cab - In Progress
99 ext cab SAS'd (Sold)
95.5 ext cab (Sold)
97 ext cab (Totaled)
-Oregon TTORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly_Young01 View Post
yall 2 need to meet up and face fuck one another till one or the other dies
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
ur a fuckin idiot so shut the fuck up.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 AM

I like my 2.7 but I get jealous when my friend with a 3.4 just blazes by people when passing. There is definitely more pick-up with the 3.4. I like the 2.7 for many reasons, one being: lifetime timing chain.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmoss
I like my 2.7 but I get jealous when my friend with a 3.4 just blazes by people when passing. There is definitely more pick-up with the 3.4. I like the 2.7 for many reasons, one being: lifetime timing chain.
How about fuel economy?
Stock, I was getting about 22 mpg highway. With the blower it dropped to about 21 and now, with the SAS and 33's I'm getting around 18.5. From what I've seen here, that's better than most of the V6's out there.

The thing you must understand about the 2.7 is that, even with the blower, it's still a 4 cylinder and must be driven as such. It will never respond like a V8 (or a V6). With a blower it will keep up with the V6 quite easily but it still has the manners of a 4 banger. Also understand that a lot of the V6's are automatic trans (don't know what your friends is). The auto will unlock the converter, shift to the necessary gear, do whatever it has to. Most of the 4 cylinders are stick shift. If you don't downshift, the truck will be..."somewhat disappointing"...on acceleration.

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM

I test drove a 5 speed 2.7L 4x4 regular cab 2000 model tacoma yesterday. It doesn't quite have the get up and go that my car has but it did pretty well. The easy maintenance and capability of the motor seems to be the selling point for me.

'10 4x4 TRD Offroad doublecab Tacoma
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

One of the things that makes a 2.7 seem like it's just not enough power is because the person driving it doesn't know how to get the most from it.
You need to use different gears for different road conditions than you do for a 6 banger. That also includes automatics. It's amazing how many people make comments about not being able to shift an Auto or that autos suck . Guess they do if you only believe they have forward and reverse,Lol.
A 2.7 will climb a wall if you want it to. There is no lack of power but there is a lack of speed if you feel you need to drive at 110 mph. I can drive mine on our exspressway at 70mph and step on the gas and pass a truck or slower car. What more do you need? Mike

2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4 , step side, 2.7 , extended cab, Auto. Mobile 1 syn 5w30 , Valvoline 75-90 syn in front and rear diffs and transfer case. Factory 16" wheels ,31" Wild Country TXR 265/75/R16, Aluminum Betterbuilt bed tool box, CB , 55W Halogen light mounted on tool box for back up, Elbow air box mod, 2 500 Hella running lights, Nissan clinometers/Altimiter custom mounted on dash with red back lights.Red dome and mapp light. 2,35watt backup lights.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

The 2.7 is the evolution of the 22R.... maybe the BEST 4 cyl. street motor ever. You have to realize the torque is there, you just have toFIND it. Example: the cbr600f1 I used to race made more torque than a HD 80cu. inch motor. It just made it at 10,000 rpm. vs the Harley at 3,300rpm. So when cruising, you are under the optimum torque curve. Throw another acorn under the hood, kick the squirrel harder, and he'll spin that motor right past most things on the road. Also, in a 2wd, the rpm have to be pretty high to get up obstacles and steep hills. Lots more wheelspin, and noise, but it's more fun that way!!! My 2.3 ranger was the same. More power than the ranger2.9v6, but you had to spool it up a lot to get it going. Just change the oil religiously, and GO......
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 04:34 AM
jh3
Veteran Member

hey NUKE,is the cost justified on the S/C?
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh3
hey NUKE,is the cost justified on the S/C?
Hmmm, that might be tough to answer objectively, but I'll try.

I think a lot of people expect V8 results. That ain't gonna happen. If you have 5 spd you still have to shift, you can't lug it around in 5th gear and expect it to have V8 response when you mash the gas. It will climb hills in 5th gear where before you were in 4th. You can comfortably and confidently accelerate into traffic and passing someone is less stressful, to you and the truck!

IMO, yes, it's worth the cost. The S/C (or turbo) is the highest cost in terms of hp per dollar but, IMO, gives the best horsepower return per dollar invested.
For instance:
An intake will give you maybe 5 hp, in some cases it will cost you hp for about $150+, or a cost of at least $30 per hp.
A header will give you REALISTICALLY about 10 hp for anywhere from $250 to $450. A dollar to hp figure of about $25-$45 per hp. Add a complete exhaust, gain maybe 3-5 hp more for $50-$300 and the cost is now $25-$50.

A supercharger running at 5 psi should give you a solid 50 hp with no other mods. I paid $2550 so the cost per hp is about $51 per hp. About the same cost per hp as a header and exhaust but over 3 times the power.

The response is much better and the driveability is greatly improved. Fuel economy is affected very little since you can now operate most of the time in 5th gear with only part throttle instead of 4th gear with your foot in the crankcase.

It's been a long day, did any of this make sense???

post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to nilson Send a message via Yahoo to nilson
I'll just say that I love my 2.7L engine and I'm proud to own it. It has plenty of torque and low-end power, not a bad # of horsepower either. The only "bad" thing about it is its top speed really. It really doesnt like to run much over 85-90m though it will. Who cares about top speed anyway though, we're offroaders. We want that good bottom end.

1996 4Runner Limited / 3.4L V6 / 4x4 / E-Locker / 204,000mi and counting
2005 Honda CRF250R
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to 1bumpintaco
I think it is the best 4 banger ever

i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder. i raced a 3.4 toyota tacoma with 33's and a five speed and we ran side by side. i am really happy with my truck and push to improve it all the time. i ran a 14.4 in the 1000 ft racing a 5.3 chevy with 35's and a couple mods and he didnt catch me till half track after takin him off the line
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bumpintaco
i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder. i raced a 3.4 toyota tacoma with 33's and a five speed and we ran side by side. i am really happy with my truck and push to improve it all the time. i ran a 14.4 in the 1000 ft racing a 5.3 chevy with 35's and a couple mods and he didnt catch me till half track after takin him off the line
I'm glad you're in Arkansas so I don't have to worry about my wife or daughter getting hit by you or your racing buddies. Hopefully by the time you get out of junior high you will have outgrown this nonsense.

Referring to an illegal alien as an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to partyman66
Quote:
i have an extra cab 2.7 4 by drive 5 speed and it will shit and git for a 4 banger. i know a lot of you guys frown on this kinda stuff but i like to race around town and stuff and do it quite often. i have never been out run by another 4 cylinder truck. hardly ever am i out run by v6 trucks and and i have out run a few v8s. like the 5.0 ford and i even out run a 4.8 liter 2wd chevy once. thats sayin something considerin motor size for me and i have 32 11.50's . that is one peppy little 4 cylinder.

I don't see how your truck could be beating most V6's and some V8 Trucks with those tires on it unless you regeared the thing way way WAY down low. Solely for the purposes of relative comparison.... My truck is a 2001 5-speed 3RZ Single Cab with 65K miles on it, has smaller tires than yours and I saw that yours is an Extended Cab too. That means you're lugging 145 pounds of extra weight just from the X-Cab in your truck plus bigger diameter and wider/heavier tires on top of that, and mine doesn't beat much of anything in a speed race. I wouldn't even bother trying to race anyone with the thing anymore because I'm not going to win and there's no point in even engaging in races... particularly since the truck won't stop anywhere near as quickly as a sports car or handle avoidance maneuvers efficiently.

I love the 3RZ. It's a great motor with plenty of torque for a 4-Cylinder and typical around town driving and light towing, but make no mistakes about it... when you slap it in a 4x4 Tacoma... especially with anything bigger than a single cab and paired with big tires, it's not going to be a fast or even quick truck.

-2001 Toyota Tacoma Stepside SR5 5-Speed 4X4 Bedliner, Tonneau Cover, Amsoil EA Nanofiber Air Filter, and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 265/75/16 Rubber, ScanGauge II.. and new Frame from Toyota Rust Recall.
-2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Navigation, Aero Package, Premium, Brembo Brakes with Project Mu B-Force Pads, Z-Tube and Amsoil EA Air Filter, 3/8" Motordyne Plenum Spacer, 18" Wheels w/ Falken Fk-452's 245/40/18 - 255/45/18
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 AM

the only things i have done to it was a K&n intake, magnaflow exhaust, throttle bady spacer, and electric fan. and as far as who i have raced im tellin the truth. i love the way it will get up and go for a 4 banger. i raced an s10 with 4.3 liter and it was 2wd and i ran side by side with him even at high speed. now ill tell you right now once you hit that 95-100 mph mark its pretty well over. it wont hit 108 and shut off unless you have a little tiny down hill advantage.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

ah.....search.

They are one of the best, if not the best, longlife engines that
toyota makes-period. Atleast here in the states anyway..
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:09 PM

Grow up

Quote:
the only things i have done to it was a K&n intake, magnaflow exhaust, throttle bady spacer, and electric fan. and as far as who i have raced im tellin the truth. i love the way it will get up and go for a 4 banger. i raced an s10 with 4.3 liter and it was 2wd and i ran side by side with him even at high speed. now ill tell you right now once you hit that 95-100 mph mark its pretty well over. it wont hit 108 and shut off unless you have a little tiny down hill advantage.
There is NO WAY you stayed even CLOSE to an S-10 with the 4.3 unless that person was NOT trying to race you and you thought they were. And as for staying with a V-8 anything.....ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 PM

I am not lying to you guys. Both the 4.3 liter S10 and the 5.0 are my good friends and they are both automatic transmissions. s10 is 2wd and the f150 is a 4x4 the s10 is about a 99 and the f150 is about a 95. the 5.0 was hardly competition for me i mean it only has maybe a lil more power than mine on a good day and the s10 and i started at about 60 mph and went to 100 niether of us gaining or loseing one another. and as far as the track times that is true also. i dont know if anyone else races the 1000ft or not though. unless there was something else done to the truck before i got it that i dont know about but i seriously doubt it. it still had original tires. it has 65k on it right now
i dont know what else to say if yall wont believe me
i guess my truck was made on a tuesday or thursday or something you know,
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM

I still wish I had my '91 22RE xtra cab. I have 3.4V6 2003 prerunner 4door, my brother has '03 2.7 extra cab prerunner (both 4x2). I get 19 MPG all over, he gets 20-21 MPG all over. So MPG is pretty minor difference. I have a bit more power and little better tow and ability to go up grades easier. The 3.4 is still pretty weak, its not like I have twice the power or anything. For just cruising around and commuting, I kind of wish I had the 2.7 now. And the new trucks dont look as good as the '03-'04 body style to me, so I'm keeping mine until the next body style comes out and I will look at the 2.7 and 4.0 V6 trucks cab at that time...

PS 1bumpintaco I didnt know F150 were made with 5.0, I have only heard of 4.6 and 5.4L. a 4x4 F150 goes through the air about as well as a large brick, so its not suprising a mini truck like S10 with good running v6 could keep up. a 4cyl toyota truck isnt going to keep up, I have driven all the above vehicles, it just isnt going to happen.

Last edited by markII; 12-14-2006 at 12:35 PM.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to partyman66
I was just looking at the specs on the newest generation Tacomas. Those bastards are heavy as hell compared to the older trucks. They must be much slower when equipped with the modern 3RZFE engine.

My truck, for example... is a 2001 3RZFE powered 5-speed single cab 4x4 and weighs 3215 lbs in stock form. The same truck in a 2007 model weighs 3550. That's a huge freakin difference of 335 pounds considering that the power of the modern 3RZ engine only went up by 9 HP and 3 LB of Torque.

Take a look at the Extended Cab 4 Cylinder truck and it's even worse. 2001 Ex-Cab 4x4 5-speed 4 cylinder truck weighs 3360, while the same truck in 2007 weighs 3870... for a difference of 510 pounds. Comparibly speaking... that, is unbelievably heavy.

It's even crazier to think that almost the same engine which powers the 3035 pound 2000-2003 year Single Cab Auto-Tranny Prerunner trucks is being used to power a 2007 4x4 5-speed Extended cab truck that outweighs it by 835 pounds.

-2001 Toyota Tacoma Stepside SR5 5-Speed 4X4 Bedliner, Tonneau Cover, Amsoil EA Nanofiber Air Filter, and Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 265/75/16 Rubber, ScanGauge II.. and new Frame from Toyota Rust Recall.
-2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Navigation, Aero Package, Premium, Brembo Brakes with Project Mu B-Force Pads, Z-Tube and Amsoil EA Air Filter, 3/8" Motordyne Plenum Spacer, 18" Wheels w/ Falken Fk-452's 245/40/18 - 255/45/18
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:05 PM

i've got a regular cab 2.7 and i think the only thing i wish it was equiped with was the factory electric locker (like mr. nuke's truck). rare? yes. non-existent? no.

i'm running 265 on stock 4.30's, and it's a great, you'll get no complaints from me.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode