LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to -dustin
order of modifications?

this is what i have on the plate:

32x11.50 tires

15x8 wheels

2 - 3" lift

in what order should i proceed? i'm thinking wheels, lift, tires...yea or nay?

also, i think i might have a hookup for some 15x8 87 series Rock Crawlers (which is why i'd like to go wheels first, since i know they fit), but i am so lost on backspacing. i don't know if i should go with a 4" BS or a 3.75" BS. i do not want rubbing issues at all. from what i was told today, lifting the truck will bring the wheels inward, which was news to me, in which case, should i opt for 3.75" BS? if i go with wheels first, would that create any issues (truck is a 99 4x4) on my non-lifted truck for the time being? i know these are really newbie questions...sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:52 AM
MASTICATOR

I would either get the tires or the lift first. I believe that with 3.75" or 4" backspacing will rub the inner fender where the pinch weld is. I had that problem with my dbl cab running 16x8 rims and 265/75/16 tires with 4" backspacing. They would rub the hell out of that area until I went in there with dremel and a hammer. Turning while compressing the front wheel will catch all of that plastic in there and make all sorts of impressive sounds. Now that I have a lift, all of that rubbing is gone and I don't have to worry so much about rubbing while stuffing a wheel in the wheelwell. So I would get the lift first or get the tires check fitted with your current setup for rubbing and fitment. Then get your rims with whatever BS you want and it should all work out with a little bit of modifing.

02 dbl cab 2.5 dirt logics Just another wanna be

"we had us some fun"

"Blue Water Inn, We Got Pyramids!!!"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM

I would get the rims - If you have stock tires you should be fine - 265/75/r16 will rub - just normal driving. I would get the lift then tires.

I got wheels and tires and they rubbed under normal driving - hate it with a passion - added the lift (hoes/deavers) and no rubbing - all good.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

lift, then tires. Also I'd strongly consider getting silders before you do anything else (that is of course if you plan on actually spending time in the rocks).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to -dustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwinda
lift, then tires.
would wheels come first or last?

sliders will be thrown in somewhere. sliders and bumpers. this isn't going to be anything quick...it's going to take a while. just trying to get suspension figured out since that will have the most dramatic effect.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

If your wheels will work with the tires you want, then get them last. I really really really suggest you get some sliders first, then lift, then tires. If you have protection you are set to wheel- lifted or not. If you have lift and no silders, then you are going to be worried about smashing your rockers all the time. We have a few people in socal that hang in there with no lift and just sliders.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 PM
River Rat

Send a message via AIM to hawaiianbro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossmaster
Then get your rims with whatever BS you want and it should all work out with a little bit of modifing.
Backspacing plays a huge role in rubbing issues!!!

But with 3.75 BS should be ok, but there will still be rubbing.

05 Taco - SAC'd HPD44 - F.O.A. Coilovers - Armored and Locked.
99 Cummins - Workin towards 1,000lbs Torque
05 GSXR 750 - 20th Anniversary - My Coffin

I'm Brown And I will Rule The World One Day.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Get the lift first. Then you can see how much clearance you're going to have for the tires and you can test fit a wheel if you have to. Look on wheeler's for some cheap steel wheels. And I second the motion for sliders so you don't mash up your truck. Tires also make a huge difference in off road performance so you might want to do that second, then get your wheels when you can, if you just want them for cosmetic reasons.

2001 Tacoma, slightly modified
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode