Hood loose? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Hood loose?

Hey guys, I've had my tacoma for about 2 years now, it's a 99 2.7L xtra cab 4x4. There are quite a few minor pet peeves about the truck but the one that irks me the most is that when i'm driving the hood rattles and seems like it's going to fly up. It never has, but it moves up and down a lot. My friend has owned three different tacomas and said that it was a common problem. I've tried to find the cause but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_tac
Hey guys, I've had my tacoma for about 2 years now, it's a 99 2.7L xtra cab 4x4. There are quite a few minor pet peeves about the truck but the one that irks me the most is that when i'm driving the hood rattles and seems like it's going to fly up. It never has, but it moves up and down a lot. My friend has owned three different tacomas and said that it was a common problem. I've tried to find the cause but can't seem to figure it out. Any suggestions? thanks
when im on the highway the hood on my 99 3.4 seems to rattle like what your saying, but i dont know what the cause would be.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

My 95 rattles a little, but not enough to bother me. Ive never tried to find the cause though.

01 ext cab - In Progress
99 ext cab SAS'd (Sold)
95.5 ext cab (Sold)
97 ext cab (Totaled)
-Oregon TTORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly_Young01 View Post
yall 2 need to meet up and face fuck one another till one or the other dies
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasaholic View Post
ur a fuckin idiot so shut the fuck up.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 AM

The Hodd on my 95 tacoma lifts up about 1 inch then rattles when i am at highway speeds, A guy at are toyota dealership says its normal cause his 04 dose the same thing.

96 Taco with 3 inch revtek lift. Custom homemade rear bumper, 3 inch pa bodylift and new 33x13.5r15 Intero LTB's
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 AM
MASTICATOR

My 02 did that after my truck was damaged in the front. There are 2 rubber pad on the ends of the radiatior support. They will twist and raise and lower their height. I just adjusted mine untill the shutter was minimal. Just keep in mind that if you adjust too much it will raise your hood above the fenders and looks a bit funny.

02 dbl cab 2.5 dirt logics Just another wanna be

"we had us some fun"

"Blue Water Inn, We Got Pyramids!!!"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Desert Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tweeter
Also the bracket that you use to flip your hood up may have a loose bolt or two, I think theres 3 that hold it in.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:14 PM
truck ~n~ tow

On the earlier Taco's ('00 and earlier) There is no rubber (snubber) support on the cowl area. This allows the hood to flutter up and down near the cowl area. I think it was integrated in '01. If it's moving at the front of the hood then you may need to adjust the lock down mechinism down lower and adjust the screw in bump stops accordingly. If it is at the cowl then you need to integrate the new rubber snubber of one of the later trucks. '01's have a redesigned plastic cowl that has a notch cut out for the snubber to fit in... I got one (the snubber) from a dealer and just glued it into place... seems to have done the job... I don't know if the '01 plastic cowl piece would fit earlier Tacos... but that little snubber in there can be used to the same affect with the stock cowl and some good glue... If your curious as to what I've done... I can take a pic and post it for all.... Uh... is snubber a word? LOL

Oh and my hood don't flutter, bounce or rattle no more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build

Last edited by cbrRRman; 06-27-2005 at 01:05 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrRRman
On the earlier Taco's ('00 and earlier) There is no rubber (snubber) support on the cowl area. This allows the hood to flutter up and down near the cowl area. I think it was integrated in '01. If it's moving at the front of the hood then you may need to adjust the lock down mechinism down lower and adjust the screw in bump stops accordingly. If it is at the cowl then you need to integrate the new rubber snubber of one of the later trucks. '01's have a redesigned plastic cowl that has a notch cut out for the snubber to fit in... I got one (the snubber) from a dealer and just glued it into place... seems to have done the job... I don't know if the '01 plastic cowl piece would fit earlier Tacos... but that little snubber in there can be used to the same affect with the stock cowl and some good glue... If your curious as to what I've done... I can take a pic and post it for all.... Uh... is snubber a word? LOL

Oh and my hood don't flutter, bounce or rattle no more...
yeah I would like to see some pics of what you've done
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
truck ~n~ tow

Hood fix

Here's a few pics... sorry they aren't that good... If you want I can email ya some High res pics... send me your email address if you want them... You should be able to get this part from a salvage yard or the dealer... I got mine off a '02 model plastic cowl... I suppose you could cut a slot in the cowl to fit it... but gluing worked just fine... mines been on there for a couple of years... and it fixed the issue of the cowl flutter...

Quote:

Truck...
Trailer...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. Mine rattles in the front where the hood lock is, but i'll definitely look into adding some snubs and adjusting the lock bolts. thanks!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
truck ~n~ tow

Quote:
thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. Mine rattles in the front where the hood lock is, but i'll definitely look into adding some snubs and adjusting the lock bolts. thanks!
Check that the bolts on the bracket aren't loose. (behind the grille) I think the bracket has some play in the bolt holes for minor adjustment...( to slide it up or down a tad) (down in your case) Could be that the the mechinism is just too worn and needs replacing... After adjusting the bracket be sure to adjust the screw in bumpers so that they just contact when the hood is closed. If they are too high they may cause your hood to get a permanent tweak to it... --v-- as it would be pulling down in the center if the stops are too high... Good luck with your problems...

Quote:

Truck...
Trailer...

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrRRman
Check that the bolts on the bracket aren't loose. (behind the grille) I think the bracket has some play in the bolt holes for minor adjustment...( to slide it up or down a tad) (down in your case) Could be that the the mechinism is just too worn and needs replacing... After adjusting the bracket be sure to adjust the screw in bumpers so that they just contact when the hood is closed. If they are too high they may cause your hood to get a permanent tweak to it... --v-- as it would be pulling down in the center if the stops are too high... Good luck with your problems...

this is exactly what i did, i found that of the three bolts holding down the latch bracket, the inner bolt was pretty loose. I tightened that sucker and adjusted the two rubber bump stops in the front and the hood is tight. Thanks a lot guys, this means a lot too me, the hood movin up and down was so annoying. thanks!!!!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD
Quote:
this is exactly what i did, i found that of the three bolts holding down the latch bracket, the inner bolt was pretty loose. I tightened that sucker and adjusted the two rubber bump stops in the front and the hood is tight. Thanks a lot guys, this means a lot too me, the hood movin up and down was so annoying. thanks!!!!!!
small added detail, keep an eye on your hood latch, mine is actually ripping out of the hood, granted im harder on my truck, but just ever so often when you open it make sure its still tight in the hood (the D-Ring actually can break off) I have a strap to hold my hood down now because I dont trust that Dring at all.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to StemsCornfedTaco
The hood on my truck Rattles up and down about half an inch, I dont really worry about it too much. It may be b/c of the hood being somewhat flimsy.

~Robby

GONE: 1998 Xtra Cab 4x4 2.7L 5 Spd. Lifted and on 33's

NEW ARRIVAL: 2006 Ford F-250 SuperDuty, Supercab Longbed 4x4

Im Sorry,...Did I Hurt your Feelings? Let me Call an Ambulance

Too Much Peer Pressure...
MySpace!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YoTRacer158 Send a message via Yahoo to YoTRacer158
mine started shaking on my 04 after a car lost its wheel on the 101/405 merge which made it's way off a post, over the suburban in front of me, and into the front of my hood...

2004 V6 5spd 4x4: TRD Charger, URD Fuel Mods/AFR/Unlimiter/2.1" Pulley/Crank Pulley/Short Throw, Supra MAF, TrueFlow Filter, JBA Ti Ceramic Headers, SpinTech Exhaust, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, BentUp Front Bumper, Chaos LT/Kings, 62" Deavers/18" Kings/, Glassworks Supercharger Hood/Fenders/Bedsides, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.5 Claws, 4.56's, RR Solid Motor Mounts

youtube.com/YoTRacer158
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM
MASTICATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTRacer158
mine started shaking on my 04 after a car lost its wheel on the 101/405 merge which made it's way off a post, over the suburban in front of me, and into the front of my hood...

Ditto!

02 dbl cab 2.5 dirt logics Just another wanna be

"we had us some fun"

"Blue Water Inn, We Got Pyramids!!!"
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YoTRacer158 Send a message via Yahoo to YoTRacer158
shitty thing is that my buddy had his video camera on his lap the whole time and we could have got it all on film...

2004 V6 5spd 4x4: TRD Charger, URD Fuel Mods/AFR/Unlimiter/2.1" Pulley/Crank Pulley/Short Throw, Supra MAF, TrueFlow Filter, JBA Ti Ceramic Headers, SpinTech Exhaust, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, BentUp Front Bumper, Chaos LT/Kings, 62" Deavers/18" Kings/, Glassworks Supercharger Hood/Fenders/Bedsides, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.5 Claws, 4.56's, RR Solid Motor Mounts

youtube.com/YoTRacer158
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:10 PM

The support structure underneath the actual sheet metal of the hood came loose from the outer sheet metal on mine. There is a thick adhesive holding them together that failed. If you remove the hood insulator you'll see what I'm talking about. anyhow thats why mine moves alot.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

I was so excited yesterday when I drove my truck, no hood flapping in the wind! YES! i'm happy. thanks guys for the suggestions. now i just need to find the time to swap out my blown stock shocks...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to wvuviv30
I had that problem with the hood bouncing/rattling. I also had a bug deflector, i took it off and it solved the problem.

Now: '06 Extended Cab: 4x4, 4.0L, 5 speed... Mods coming.
My old '98 Extended Cab : 4x4, 2.7L, 5 speed... with 33x10.50 BFG MT, OME 881, OME 15a/b, OME shocks, 4.56 gears, IPF 986 and LCE Header.

Meerkat Sound
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:16 PM

It definitely could be the bug guard. When i first got my tacoma, the hood didnt bounce, but it seems like it was around the time i bought a guard that it started.
I need to figure something out, it bugs the crap out of me, and its causing un-neccesary stress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode