Will Toyota cover it? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Will Toyota cover it?

I just dropped off the truck and I know I have a problem where the steering wheel tilts. I have about 2-3" of circular movement in the wheel when I reach down to the fire wall and hold the steering shaft. This would lead me to believe the tilt joint is messed. The truck has 50,000 miles and I do have an Extra care extended warranty but the service writer said they might not cover it. I thought since this is not a wearable item it should be covered. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBender
I just dropped off the truck and I know I have a problem where the steering wheel tilts. I have about 2-3" of circular movement in the wheel when I reach down to the fire wall and hold the steering shaft. This would lead me to believe the tilt joint is messed. The truck has 50,000 miles and I do have an Extra care extended warranty but the service writer said they might not cover it. I thought since this is not a wearable item it should be covered. What do you think?
my SM would probably cover it but yours might not; it varries from dealer to dealer. What year truck? If the service manager turns you down you can go to the DSM (district service mngr) and plead your case. I've done this several times over more than 20 yrs of having Toyotas and each time either they have covered it all or we reached some sort of compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Now they are saying they can't find the problem. Its a 2001. Does anyone know what the joint is called or the parts involved in the tilt wheel? I searched under tilt wheel and found alot of info that is where I started. WHat should I go back to the dealer with? It is obvious when you hold the shaft tight and turn the steering wheel and there is a 2-3" movement, something is not right. Any ideas? Its a 2001.

thanks
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Now they are saying they can't find the problem. Its a 2001. Does anyone know what the joint is called or the parts involved in the tilt wheel? I searched under tilt wheel and found alot of info that is where I started. WHat should I go back to the dealer with? It is obvious when you hold the shaft tight and turn the steering wheel and there is a 2-3" movement, something is not right. Any ideas? Its a 2001.

thanks
they can't find the problem? have you taken one of the techs for a ride to demonstrate? If they thing that much play is "normal" you need to find another dealership or do go directly to the DSM.

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Now Toy is telling me they looked at the truck all day and they can't find anything wrong. They claim the movement in the wheel is normal. It didn't do that about a month ago. What next? If I go to another dealership wont they just see that I just had it in at another dealership? What should be my next step?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
cedarbarn

Quote:
Now Toy is telling me they looked at the truck all day and they can't find anything wrong. They claim the movement in the wheel is normal. It didn't do that about a month ago. What next? If I go to another dealership wont they just see that I just had it in at another dealership? What should be my next step?
This is a stupid question.... Do you have a steering problem when you are driving it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

yes, it drifts alot and it never used to.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Do not pass Go. Go directly to the DSM your dealer is being a dick on this one so you'll have to go over his head. Call the service manager and demand to speek to the DSM.

Quote:
Quote:
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode