Another Bilstein thread - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Another Bilstein thread

I apologize for probably beating a dead horse, but...

I've spent a lot of time with the 'search' function, but can't find the answer to my specific question.

I have an '04 V6 4x4 non-TRD Taco. I want to replace the crap stock shocks with Bilsteins while retaining the stock ride height. Is there a difference between the TRD Bilsteins that the dealer sells and the 'HD' Bilsteins that are available in the aftermarket? If so, which might be more appropriate for someone who does very little off-roading (but lots of snow driving), and is looking for the best on-road ride and handling? I know neither will make the truck handle like a sports car, but I want it to ride and handle at least as well as my raggedy old '92 Toyota pickup did; in it's present form, this '04 is a friggin' farm implement.

Also, when I replace the shocks, is it worthwhile to replace the front coils with the TRD coils? That is, will I realize any benefit from the TRD coils in street driving, or are they mainly an off-road improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave
I apologize for probably beating a dead horse, but...

I've spent a lot of time with the 'search' function, but can't find the answer to my specific question.

I have an '04 V6 4x4 non-TRD Taco. I want to replace the crap stock shocks with Bilsteins while retaining the stock ride height. Is there a difference between the TRD Bilsteins that the dealer sells and the 'HD' Bilsteins that are available in the aftermarket? If so, which might be more appropriate for someone who does very little off-roading (but lots of snow driving), and is looking for the best on-road ride and handling? I know neither will make the truck handle like a sports car, but I want it to ride and handle at least as well as my raggedy old '92 Toyota pickup did; in it's present form, this '04 is a friggin' farm implement.

Also, when I replace the shocks, is it worthwhile to replace the front coils with the TRD coils? That is, will I realize any benefit from the TRD coils in street driving, or are they mainly an off-road improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
yes, there is a big difference in quality between the aftermarket HDs and the OE Bils. the Progressive TRD coils are actualy better for street than off-road.

contact Demello or Wheelers for the shocks.

If you want TRD coils check the For sale section or post a WTB for a set. make sure they are from a v6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, hytenor. That clears up the TRD coil issue - gonna look for a set of those.

When you say there is a big difference in the quality of aftermarket HD's and the OE Bilsteins, I assume aftermarket HD's are of a higher quality than the OE version? I've checked Wheeler's and Demello, and the HD's seem to be the same price or even a bit less expensive than the OE's.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGold04
I've personally heard good things about the HDs, and if they are less expensive than OE Bils, thats a no-brainer... I'd also second the TRD coils for street driving...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Thanks for the info, hytenor. That clears up the TRD coil issue - gonna look for a set of those.

When you say there is a big difference in the quality of aftermarket HD's and the OE Bilsteins, I assume aftermarket HD's are of a higher quality than the OE version? I've checked Wheeler's and Demello, and the HD's seem to be the same price or even a bit less expensive than the OE's.
yes, much, much better than the OEs.

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm now ordering the HD Bils and looking for a lightly-used set of TRD coils.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
7wt
nothing special

I have had the HDs on my truck for about eight months and I am really please with them. You can't go wrong.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm now ordering the HD Bils and looking for a lightly-used set of TRD coils.
post a wtb (wanted to buy) they come up quite often.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode