TTORA Forum banner

Leaky Rims/Bead/Tires

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Sparky of SoCal 
#1 ·
I recently replaced all 4 tires on my truck with some Bridgesone Dueler AT Revo 2 tires in 265/75/16's.

My old set of tires was losing quite a bit of air in 3 out of the 4 tires.... literally like 12 pounds per tire over the course of about 4 days on the two rear tires, and maybe 5 to 7 pounds on the front drivers side tire during that time. My front passengers side doesn't leak any noticeable amount.

After putting on new tires, the new setup seems to leak about exactly the same as the old set. I haven't taken my tires off yet individually and tested the bead with a spray bottle to see where the leak may be coming from.

I was thinking that the paint coating on the inside of the rim is probably rusted or peeling off inside the rim preventing a good seal on the bead. I've read about some people curing this by unseating one side of the bead, sanding the inside surface down to a clean surface, and then lathering on some Bead Sealant and reseating the bead.

I've never tried to break a bead on a car or truck tire before... only dirtbikes. If I do this at home without any fancy tools, will I be able to get the bead to reseat on a 32" off road tire?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Anyone else have this issue on their Taco?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's actually a common issue on most vehicles and alloy or chromed wheels.
The alloy and coating on the wheel corrode as time goes on.
If I were you, I would take it back to your tire shop and have them dismount the tire, wire wheel the bead seat area of the wheel and re-mount the tire.
I've done it a lot after more than a year and a half working at Discount Tire.

#3 ·
It's been like almost two months though now since the new tires have been on. I don't drive my truck much at all in warm weather so it wasn't noticed much until now where I am using it all the time.

#7 ·
Resetting the bead on a 32 is not hard, but you need some air pressure. My small compressor won't do it, but my C02 tank cranked up to over 200psi sets them real nicely. To get the tires off or on the wheel I use a couple of tire spoons that I picked up from Napa. Sand or wire wheel the bead area to remove any cracked or flaking chrome or paint as others have said. I avoid chrome wheels because I find they often leak as they get older.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Your compressor may work. I have a small craftsman air compressor, smaller than yours and could not get a bead to set on my Jeep's 32's. I grabbed the C02 tank and cranked up the pressure and it set the bead immediately. I have since set a dozen beads with my C02 tank, nice to have the extra pressure to make it easy. Especially when the environment is not ideal as is often the case on the trail. I suppose it is as much about volume as pressure. I doubt a 12 volt air compressor would work, a york OBA setup probably would and my C02 tank works. Obviously the large air compressors at the tire store work. I bet you could get your twin stack compressor to do the job, just might take a few tries.

#10 ·
Take out the Schrader and use a blow off tool with a rubber tip. Push the rubber tip against the filler nipped and blast away

Always works instantly for me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
What PSI is your compressor putting out? I think I have one of those blow-off tool attachments in my pack of compressor fittings.

#12 ·
100-110. I run 3/8 hose and quick discos to get the most volume of air.

It's not air pressure you need, it's volume. Removing the Schrader makes the biggest difference. Instead of pushing air thru a tiny orfice you are pushing it thru a 1/4" hole

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#13 ·
It's not air pressure you need, it's volume. Removing the Schrader makes the biggest difference. Instead of pushing air thru a tiny orfice you are pushing it thru a 1/4" hole
BINGO. Seating beads is about volume (CFM), not pressure (PSI).

Btw, "Schrader" is a type of valve. I assume you're suggesting he remove the valve core from the Schrader valve and not the entire valve.
To that point, I agree.

#15 ·
As far as breaking the bead, youll probably need a tool. Honestly ive used a crowbar and it worked but i taped it to avoid damage to the lip. And a trick to reset the bead and fill the tire with air, try spraying some ether(starting fluid) or brake cleaner into the tire and then lighting it. Also additionally a firecracker will do the same. No kidding...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.