tacoma newbie ? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

tacoma newbie ?

I'm thinking of buying a 2-3 yr old taco, using it for work, and slowly sasing/rockcrawling it. My question is: I know I want all the sr5 goodies, and a 5speed, do I hold out for an elocker equipped model?Or, is there even that combo available?(v6, 5spd,sr5, locker...)Also, is there a big difference in power between the 2.7 and 3.4l? I previously had an 85 4runner on 37's/4.88's, and it had enough power for me.(header, .040 bore, cam)
Thanks for any input.
On a side note, how much of a PITA is it to fit a car seat in the xcab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Ban Count: 12

Car seats are not that bad to fit in. If you get an '01 or later, I think the x-cab is a little larger (6"?) than the previous model ('98-'00).

If you are gonna be crawling, then I would recommend getting the locker. I have a v6 SR5 5 speed TRD (e-locker). I noticed a lot of difference between a stock 3.4L and a stock 2.7L, but a 2.7L with headers and performance exhaust can move, and has better gas mileage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YoTRacer158 Send a message via Yahoo to YoTRacer158
if you're planning on crawling it, you'll probably be putting a front locker in as well...so if you cant find one with the trd locker you could always throw in some ARB's front and rear. i have never heard that the xcab's are bigger on 01 and up, but they could be.

2004 V6 5spd 4x4: TRD Charger, URD Fuel Mods/AFR/Unlimiter/2.1" Pulley/Crank Pulley/Short Throw, Supra MAF, TrueFlow Filter, JBA Ti Ceramic Headers, SpinTech Exhaust, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, BentUp Front Bumper, Chaos LT/Kings, 62" Deavers/18" Kings/, Glassworks Supercharger Hood/Fenders/Bedsides, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.5 Claws, 4.56's, RR Solid Motor Mounts

youtube.com/YoTRacer158
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Why use a car seat? Just throw the bambino in the bed like people up here do!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Re-Member 9/11

Send a message via MSN to nhlbill
I third the motion for the TRD package and the rear locker. I also recommend the 3.4, you can add on some goodies to get a 2.7 to be like a 3.4, but you can add some goodies on a 3.4 to get to 300hp too!!! (supercharger w/7th injector).
Lot's of guys are considering SAS's and never get around to it, so you'll like the rear locker while your doing your research, and if you are wondering if a car seat fit's and still considering a SAS, you must be really tall and have Arnold arms!!! LOL
Bill

I got a Jeep....and a login and password to your forum.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM

On the issue about looking to get the TRD for the locker, especially if you are seriously planning to do the SAS, then all you're getting (after the SAS of course) is the locker and some stickers. I don't think the toyota e-locker is bad at all, but I don't think I would pay $1000 over the price of an equally equipped non-TRD truck for just that unless you were dead-set on a selectable locker. If you were gonna keep it stock then the progressive springs and better shocks might be worth it, but really I don't even consider the shocks since they're probably about ready to be replaced anyway.

If I were making a rockcrawler, I'd buy the cheapest damn truck I could find with the engine/tranny I wanted and go from there. One great thing about the e-locker though is the resale value. People seem to get quite a bit out of them (considering they're selling used parts), so you would get most of your money back if you decided you want something different down the road.

I really don't think either way is the wrong way, TRD or non-TRD. I would get the 3.4 if you're getting an extended cab. I've had car seats in my truck, and the only drawback is that my wife can't get the kid out so I have to do it.

No Tacoma anymore, had to go bigger and couldn't afford a Tundra.

2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamier2
On the issue about looking to get the TRD for the locker, especially if you are seriously planning to do the SAS, then all you're getting (after the SAS of course) is the locker and some stickers. I don't think the toyota e-locker is bad at all, but I don't think I would pay $1000 over the price of an equally equipped non-TRD truck for just that unless you were dead-set on a selectable locker. If you were gonna keep it stock then the progressive springs and better shocks might be worth it, but really I don't even consider the shocks since they're probably about ready to be replaced anyway.

If I were making a rockcrawler, I'd buy the cheapest damn truck I could find with the engine/tranny I wanted and go from there. One great thing about the e-locker though is the resale value. People seem to get quite a bit out of them (considering they're selling used parts), so you would get most of your money back if you decided you want something different down the road.

I really don't think either way is the wrong way, TRD or non-TRD. I would get the 3.4 if you're getting an extended cab. I've had car seats in my truck, and the only drawback is that my wife can't get the kid out so I have to do it.
losts of good info, thanks everyone. The baby seat would be a seldom, but necessary option. We have a 4runner too, but it's the wifeys. If she goes anywhere, I'm currently stuck at home. 2 kids, 2 seats

'86 toyota turbo 2wd extracab.Wanna trade?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Ban Count: 12

You should also be able to get a non-TRD truck and just add the rear locker...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode